Time for a new PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new PC

My video ram went bad in my GTX7800 FX57 based system. Time for an upgrade. It's been about 7 years since I actually built anything myself, but considering I do this kind of stuff for a living (with servers, mind you), the prospect doesn't really scare me.

So, looking at what is out there right now, I've decided on a Core i7 based system, and I'm building a system with a little overclocking in mind from the get go. Knowing a little about how chips work, I think this new Intel platform looks awesome. Reviews and tests from places like 3dGuru and various OCing sites seem to confirm this.

Anyway, here is my build:

HIPER OSIRIS Silver Case
    2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
    2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition
    1 x Antec Signature 850W Power Supply
    EVGA X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
    Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
    3 ENERMAX CLUSTER 120mm White LED PWM Fans
    LG 22X DVDR Burner
    Scythe KM01-SL "KAZE MASTER" 5.25" Bay Fan Controller
    OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

It should scream, performance wise :row1_7:. I've read a few articles that say the CPU should OC to 3.8GHz safely, I plan for that to be a slow process, once I learn what normal operating temps are like. I'll probably use something like the Thermaltake V1 CPU cooler once I start to OC. My wife would freak out if I went water-cooled, even though it intrigues me.

Any comments, hints or things I might want to consider before I pull the trigger?
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Re: Time for a new PC

Several of us have already stated many times that SLI isn't a very big performance (and framerate) booster as the hype leads everyone to think.

With that said, you'd have to ask yourself if you'll be running this rig with at least a 24" monitor at the native resolution (usually 1920 x 1200) with a possibility of multi-monitor gaming in the future. If you're not, you won't see much of a boost.

Otherwise, looks like a few of the high-end machines out there.

I don't see much of any problem other than the LED fans would a eye sore for me if I was gaming at night.

Lastly, will it last you 7 more years? Probably not. At some point you'll have to upgrade your graphics solution to a single card or another pair.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yep, running into a 24". Also, CUDA intrigues me, from a development point of view, so I want to have that capability. Also the PhysX stuff. The price point on the 260s is really good, so it's not a really big deal cash wise.

I'll be happy with 4-6 years with a possible Graphics/CPU upgrade somewhere along the line.
      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

You seem to have picked a pretty good case.

I see the mesh grills are pretty small that they can act as dust filters. Always a plus to have dust filters on your case fan ports. Saves you the time to clean the darn insides. It's fairly roomy and a sizable tower so not much different than working with a SOHO server case.

I say it's good enough to pull the trigger on. But I'd wait until maybe tomorrow to see if you can't save some with the Black Friday deals at NewEgg.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

looks like a loud case to me.... i just did a disassemble/reassemble of my rig this week... dust free now... every fan, and new arctic silver... temps are cooler, fan speeds are turned down a bit....im 2 feet away from my rig and i can barely hear it... only if i try to focus on the sound (i have an antec p180 case... 3 layer sound dampening sides, actual screen mesh removable/cleanable (i rinse them in the sink) filters in the front... room to mount 5 120mm fans, 6 if you mount one with the included bracket blowing on the PCI/PCIE card area... but with sli i dont think you will have room) the 182b is the improved version, its got an inch of room BEHIND (right side of case) the motherboard tray (not between the mobo and tray... behind it) for running cables so you see zero cables running from point to point. removable HD trays, and an isolated PSU chamber with the option to mount a fan down there sucks through the screened front, across the HDs at the PSU and out the back....

i would go against the 260, and against SLI, but your reason of being able to use CUDA is respectable
          as for Physx... its a dying trend that about 10 games supported in the past 1.5 years, and i dont foresee it going anywhere soon (or ever for the matter), not to mention the inability for half the consumers (ati users) to use this without purchasing a $200-$300 card and eating up a pci slot
          Last edited by Tonk; 11-27-2008, 09:17 PM.
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I actually got a chance to see that case in person at a local Frys. Aesthetically, its exactly what I want (the brushed aluminum looks awesome up close). It seemed pretty quite, but it was in the store. I know quite a bit about acoustics, so I can dampen it pretty well I think. It's also why I went with after market fans. I'm also going to get the Noctua CPU cooler. It should be pretty quiet.

Over the years, I've had a lot more luck with Nvidia than ATI. I agree that PhysX isn't a big draw, but CUDA definitely is. That 260 card can't really be beat for price/performance at the moment, imo. SLI is reported as being pretty stable on the X58 chipset.
            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

There is one thing I would really change in that build. Don't get the LG dvd burner/drive, it can cause a lot of noise and vibrates a hell lot (don't know if your case has anti-vibration for the optical drives). I have the LG drive and regret buying it, go with a pioneer if you can.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
                There is one thing I would really change in that build. Don't get the LG dvd burner/drive, it can cause a lot of noise and vibrates a hell lot (don't know if your case has anti-vibration for the optical drives). I have the LG drive and regret buying it, go with a pioneer if you can.
                I also have the LG drive and it's very quiet and doesn't vibrate much compared to my Lite-On drives.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, tracking numbers are in :)

Interesting point about the LG drive. If it irritates me, I'll replace it. Its only there to load games. I have a far more pro mac based setup for actually burning media.

I'll post pics and performance numbers as the build progresses this week. It actually worked out to be really reasonable (as reasonable as a high end gaming machine is, I guess).
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

where did you buy that case? I can't find it anywhere.

- -

Comment

Newegg...

My local Fry's had one on Wednesday last week, but It was $20 more, and a little dusty.
                      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                        My wife would freak out if I went water-cooled, even though it intrigues me.

Any comments, hints or things I might want to consider before I pull the trigger?
                        This looks good. I thought the same about my wife with a liquid cooling setup, but after the "light" noise I experienced with an all fan set-up she really didn't mind the extra for a water cooling setup.

Here's my build for reference. Don't be afraid of the liquid setup.
                        Last edited by Rincewind; 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM.
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I'd love to, and it's not the cost, its more the inbuilt luddism of Mrs. Gunjunkie, and the endless "Your computer needs more cooling than my car" comments.

Maybe I should get some 2000+ RPM fans to, you know, impress upon her the inefficiencies of that cooling model :)
                          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                            I'd love to, and it's not the cost, its more the inbuilt luddism of Mrs. Gunjunkie, and the endless "Your computer needs more cooling than my car" comments.

Maybe I should get some 2000+ RPM fans to, you know, impress upon her the inefficiencies of that cooling model :)
                            Delta used to make some obscenely great 300cf/m PC 120mm fans. Ran at like 60dB, like 3A startup loads. Made for server racks, but you could run them in your case. Would be perfect, I think ;)
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                              Delta used to make some obscenely great 300cf/m PC 120mm fans. Ran at like 60dB, like 3A startup loads. Made for server racks, but you could run them in your case. Would be perfect, I think ;)
                              And your PC would sound like a jet aircraft on takeoff (while you're standing 20 feet away). :p

Trust me, it'll get on her nerves real fast.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X