Solid Pre-Made PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid Pre-Made PC

After weighing not having extended warranty on a home-built PC, I've decided to go with pre-made. What do you think about Alienware? I've been looking into their Area-51 750i along with Dell XPS models. Any suggestions? Success stories? Horror stories? I'm just trying to feel out the market.

My current PC is an old Dell Dimension Desktop 8400 which I have since replaced the graphics card twice, added ram, and replaced the optical drives. I am willing to upgrade myself!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Solid Pre-Made PC

Any idea on budget here? Are you an intel or AMD fanboy, do you like having Vista or XP, do you want Nvidia or ATI? Is it possible for you to gut your computer to save some cash on there?

http://www.ibuypower.com/ I've seen quite a few good reviews from these guys. I was about to buy from them before i decided to make my own. Also their website has a lot more freedom of custimizing. Dell seems to force Vista on you.

Dell has always been good to my family. My sister's was good until she decided to try to play a game that screwed over the OS. My mother replaced hers and she's been happy. Heck, even my Grandma got an XPS machine to replace her 10 year old Gateway.
    Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 11-28-2008, 06:08 PM.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Never had a problem with HP/Compaq or Dell except when putting in a bigger gfx card and straining the power supply. That is because I buy the cheapest one available that has the free slots I need. This almost always would strain the P/S so I end up having to upgrade it. That of course kills the warranty. I still do this because the front panel controls/inputs are usually way better than I could put together with a self built one for the same price.

I did put together a computer at ibuypower for a friend of a friend. They seemed to like it, there where tons of options and it was a bit cheaper than what I described above.

Also, look at the refurb or overstock stuff at Dell and HP. I got a great deal once.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

you are paying for the name with alienware, and the same was so with XPS until dell reffered to half their systems as XPS.... they sell XPS at walmart for 499 with a monitor, made a total **ore out of XPS
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
          you are paying for the name with alienware, and the same was so with XPS until dell reffered to half their systems as XPS.... they sell XPS at walmart for 499 with a monitor, made a total **ore out of XPS
          Alienware = Dell = Alienware.

Overly priced like Sony's computers. Poor tech support comes with it as well (long wait times coupled with poor "techs").

As for iBuyPower/Cyberpower, they're decent. They do an okay wiring job, but if a selected part goes out of stock, they'll usually substitute a "similar" board in its place without notifying you.

Bought a barebones from them for my brother's system thinking I got a good deal on a eVGA board. They switched it with a similar board by ECS (which actually cost 60% less) without notifying me. I didn't find out until I received it and was installing parts into the case. Pissed me off, called them, got a generic response, and decided the return shipping was too costly.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My budget is around $2000 and I'm an Intel fangirl. Though I've had better experiences with ATI cards. I'm looking for a computer that will last. I think I'm looking toward the quad-cores, even though it won't be fully utilized yet.

Comment

I don't know, I still feel like you can do a better deal on a home-made computer than buying an already manufactured one. Getting the EXTENDED warranty is good and expensive but most people hardly ever get the extended warranty anyway. They just rely on what comes with the computer to begin with and building your own computer you will have warranties. You will just have a bunch of different warranties for each separate component you use.
              As stated if you want to upgrade in a year or less you would void the warranty on most already made computers, so your stuck with what you got anyway or say heck with the warranty and void it.

Comment

You could just buy the parts and find a place which will put it together for you. NCIX does this I know, not sure of any other companies, especially in the states.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMOwF5Hd3M[/media] best i think not to expensive either i think its around $1800 ish for that rig zomg i drueld.

Comment

My biggest concern with building my own is simply that I won't have the time.

Comment

It took me all of maybe 2 hours! And that was my first build!!! Then of course I had to install the OS, but that was easy as insert disk and let it do the rest.....

Comment

Should take no time to build your computer, only thing I hate is installing the OS, updating everything to the latest updates/drivers available(even on a pre-made computer you should do this as soon as you get it), and then installing games and programs. That is what I think is time consuming, not the actual build.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X