laptop/power problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop/power problem

i noticed sunday that my laptop was running on the battery when the low battery light came on... i looked at the power brick and the green light was off, so i went and checked the breaker for that room... no breakers unplugged, so i unplugged my brick and tried the lamp plugged into the same outlet, light came on... so i unplug my laptop from the brick, unplug the brick, and plug in the brick again, the light came on... plugged in my laptop and all was good.... it did it 3 times since then, and just now my laptop died while i was transfering a few gigs to it from my desktop, and i touched the cord right next to the laptop plug, it was at least 115F (using a fluke meter with the temp sensor plugged into it touching the insulator on the plug end) i have two possibilitys... the power converter on the other side of the power jack is going/gone.. or there is an internal break in the cord (being a laptop, it sees a fair amount of being toted around, along with the brick since the battery has a shorter life than my attention span) anyone have any ideas here? since both are a bit of an investment id really like to make the right choice

specs in sig, 90w power supply
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: laptop/power problem

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
    i noticed sunday that my laptop was running on the battery when the low battery light came on... i looked at the power brick and the green light was off, so i went and checked the breaker for that room... no breakers unplugged, so i unplugged my brick and tried the lamp plugged into the same outlet, light came on... so i unplug my laptop from the brick, unplug the brick, and plug in the brick again, the light came on... plugged in my laptop and all was good.... it did it 3 times since then, and just now my laptop died while i was transfering a few gigs to it from my desktop, and i touched the cord right next to the laptop plug, it was at least 115F (using a fluke meter with the temp sensor plugged into it touching the insulator on the plug end) i have two possibilitys... the power converter on the other side of the power jack is going/gone.. or there is an internal break in the cord (being a laptop, it sees a fair amount of being toted around, along with the brick since the battery has a shorter life than my attention span) anyone have any ideas here? since both are a bit of an investment id really like to make the right choice

specs in sig, 90w power supply
    How long have you had this laptop?

Sounds like your battery is at its End of Life cycle. You should look into replacing your battery with a new one.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Tonk...

I am actually surprised the battery is still going at all.

you can get a battery for under 50.00, and the power supply is 20-25.

the power supply is my first suspect. I have seen several short out. (this is especially true if the battery works at all.

I think Acreo_Aeneas is correct - probably time to pony up for both though. - how has it been other than that?
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

i bought a bat for 60 but it didnt work... i was rather pissed about that, it just blinked orange 5 in a row if i remember right... ran the system for about a 11 sec before powering off...
        otherwise been fine after replacing gfx card... and got a 1.6 or 1.7 and pin modded it to 2.26, gfx was overheating causing bsod.... havent had a bsod in 6 months now

the wear level is only 55% using NHC's reading, idk if thats 55% life remaining or 55% life spent... either way the bat is half alive/half dead depending on how you look at it... any way to make the 250gb ata drive i have be able to use more than 137gb?
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
          i bought a bat for 60 but it didnt work... i was rather pissed about that, it just blinked orange 5 in a row if i remember right... ran the system for about a 11 sec before powering off...
          otherwise been fine after replacing gfx card... and got a 1.6 or 1.7 and pin modded it to 2.26, gfx was overheating causing bsod.... havent had a bsod in 6 months now

the wear level is only 55% using NHC's reading, idk if thats 55% life remaining or 55% life spent... either way the bat is half alive/half dead depending on how you look at it... any way to make the 250gb ata drive i have be able to use more than 137gb?
          I presume you're using XP on your laptop? The "137 GB" problem was fixed with the release of Service Pack 2 for XP. You might want to check that you have your OS patched to the latest. Also, on some boards, you might have to flash your BIOS to the latest version.

If you've already tried a new battery, then look into a new PSU for your laptop. First thing is to check if you can get at the old PSU inside. If you can't, you'll have to send it into a shop to get the part replaced.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

nope, its vista.... the bios cannot address over 137... bios is the latest version A05 or A06, i forget. ive taken it apart, the power supply is easy to get at once open, which is easy to do too. i wouldnt mind just 137gb but if i make a 136 partition it wont even load the os once the os is installed
            and if i just make it a 250gb partition, it works fine until something gets put past that 137gb part