E8400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E8400

I'm getting extremely high temperatures from my processor. I've seen readings from RealTemps that the processor is idle at around 50 and jumps to around 80 to 90 under load (there hasn't been any sign of overheating or malfunctioning though). I know this isn't normal. I want to know what might of gone wrong. I'm tempted to pull the Heat sinks of and re-placing it into the motherboard to check if it's functioning properly.

Edit: My previous computer also ran hot. I'm not sure how long this has been going for.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: E8400

Pull off the HSF, check to make sure you have adequate thermal paste, and make sure HSF is seated properly. Also, a lot of cpu temp programs have varying temperatures listed so try it with several different temperature progs, I prefer CoreTemp.
    And just be sure that your case fans aren't stuck on something/ not turning anymore.
    It can also help to clean the dust off the HSF fins.

Comment

Even with the stock hsf you should be running at around 30C and getting 50C idle.
      Try checking in bios for your temps as well. If the bios says high temps and you've cleaned the dust off try taking off the hsf and re-seating it.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
      In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

OK. The temperature was getting high enough that the computer would shut off as a fail safe.

My dad and i fiddled with he heat sinks, one of the pins kept the HSF from making a smooth contact. We turned the heat sinks 90 degrees and pushed the pins hard enough to make the thing look like it was going to break.

The temperatures are idle at 37 and load around 55. I'm currently looking to get a new HS and thermal paste though to replace this plastic POS.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Grab an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
          Very basic tower cooler, and it generally performs quite well for the 20 dollars you can usually find it at.
          [I usually use them in client builds. Even if they're not overclocking, I like them a lot better than the stock coolers]
          And yes, those pins CAN be a pain.
          It's Gaming
          Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

I just ordered an E8400 on Friday with the rest of my goodies I got for a whole new rig. This is good to know; I guess I'll keep an eye on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
              The temperatures are idle at 37 and load around 55. I'm currently looking to get a new HS and thermal paste though to replace this plastic POS.
              Don't bash the stock cooler. It's good stuff. You just have to get the pins to lock in in diagonal pairs or else you won't get the HSF seated properly.

55 C is also well below where the E8400 will begin throttling. As for your temps, they're almost exactly like mines (just a few lower).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
                Grab an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
                Very basic tower cooler, and it generally performs quite well for the 20 dollars you can usually find it at.
                [I usually use them in client builds. Even if they're not overclocking, I like them a lot better than the stock coolers]
                And yes, those pins CAN be a pain.
                Freezer 7 Pro is a wonderful thing. I have my E4300 OC'd to 3 Ghz on it and maintaining temps in the 40s.

Comment

When I installed my E8400 and stock HSF I was shutting down as well when I built my computer 10 months ago. I looked at the stock HSF closely and it had a hair line crack in one of the post I imagine was causing it not to seat securely. So I ordered a new HSF that screwed on instead, my temps are at idle about 26*C last I checked in the BIOS a long time ago. Not sure what they were when loaded, I believe it was about 43*C but that was a long time ago so memory has lost that information. Guess I should double check all mine once again to make sure all is still OK.

Comment

Scythe Ninja is another awesome cooler if you need it.

Comment

not to hyjack a new thread, but is it better to put a thin amount of paste compared to a thick amount? just enough to cover the whole surface right?