Notebook Gurus...Activate!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook Gurus...Activate!!!

I never had any use for a laptop computer, but with life you never know and my requirements have now changed....

I'm seriously in the market for a good solid notebook, and I have a few requirements, questions and concerns....

Requirements:

15.4" or smaller and easy to carry

Good solid keyboard that is easy to type with

Reliable manufacturer with good support(needs to last a few years)

Decent battery life under light load

Quiet fans are actually a nice feature but far from necessary.

Good solid gaming capability. This is obviously a "Gaming" website and we all share the fact that we enjoy playing games! It doesn't need to be the "Uber-Pwnest" when it comes to games, but it needs to have strong capability and have a stand alone graphics card.

At the end of the day the computer is not about gaming, but if I can add that capability without sacrificing much in other areas, that is preferable.

Budget= $1000

A few extra concerns are regarding 64-bit vista. Are there any conflicts with 32-bit applications(I.E. BF2) with a 64-bit system?

I appreciate any info that is given within this thread. I have looked at the HP DV5t and the Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 - 40512YU already.

Thanks,

Turkish
    |TG-X|Turkish

Re: Notebook Gurus...Activate!!!

Some of the Nvidia cards have the ability to turn off and defer to onboard when not in use. I'm not sure if this has made it into the laptop market yet, but it sounds like it would be a perfect match for what you are asking.

EDIT: after a bit of searching it appears this feature has been lost in development limbo.
    Last edited by Namebot; 11-29-2008, 06:01 PM.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Dell ftw.

I hate dell and I love dell.... but in the end, they have the best service around - as long as you know the rules (21 day buyers remorse, 90 return warranty, 1 yr replacement)

I love me 1720 and it can hold it's own in the gaming world. when I overclock the 8600, I can get playable fps in most games. Also the bluray and dual hard drive bays are awesome additions.

I also have the mini9 (which is awesome all by itself) for portability around work and home and a sony ux380n for the car and horsepower on the go. (the ability to work on a premiere pro project when docked and then put the computer in a jacket pocket to work on while commuting is great.)

unportability aside, the 1720 has all the horsepower you need to do today's tasks.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
        Dell ftw.

I hate dell and I love dell.... but in the end, they have the best service around - as long as you know the rules (21 day buyers remorse, 90 return warranty, 1 yr replacement)

I love me 1720 and it can hold it's own in the gaming world. when I overclock the 8600, I can get playable fps in most games. Also the bluray and dual hard drive bays are awesome additions.

I also have the mini9 (which is awesome all by itself) for portability around work and home and a sony ux380n for the car and horsepower on the go. (the ability to work on a premiere pro project when docked and then put the computer in a jacket pocket to work on while commuting is great.)

unportability aside, the 1720 has all the horsepower you need to do today's tasks.
        Thanks for the input, but I will not get a notebook with a 17" monitor.
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

http://www.dell.com/content/products...ref=lthp&s=dhs
          XPS laptops are great for what you're asking for. The options there are good, with 3GB of ram you should be going through BF2 just fine on med/high settings.

Comment

Have you talked to Pilot about this?? He just went through the whole laptop purchase and required a small screen as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDeligh
              Notebook Gurus...Activate!!!
              I hope you realize we are: a) not Pokemon and b) we don't respond well to Pokemon-like orders. ;)

Have you looked into getting a netbook? Something like the ASUS N10?

It has a extended 6-cell battery that should give you anywhere from 3.5 to 5.5 hours (depending on how much of the "dedicated" graphics chipset you use). It's got a 10-inch screen and weighs around 3.5 lbs.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I hope you realize we are: a) not Pokemon and b) we don't respond well to Pokemon-like orders. ;)

Have you looked into getting a netbook? Something like the ASUS N10?

It has a extended 6-cell battery that should give you anywhere from 3.5 to 5.5 hours (depending on how much of the "dedicated" graphics chipset you use). It's got a 10-inch screen and weighs around 3.5 lbs.

First of all, WTF? Pokeman?! My title had nothing to do with that.....

Secondly, thanks for the link! :)

I will consider getting something like that, but that size starts to severely limit keyboard ergonomics.

Thanks for all the input so far.....
                |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                  Have you talked to Pilot about this?? He just went through the whole laptop purchase and required a small screen as well.
                  I am going to see if I can catch him on TS....
                  |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

the new(er) intel 4500hd should be sufficient to play bf2 right?