New Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rig

Just bought this setup and I'm looking at all the components and figured I would pick the exceptional brains here before I dive in. I'm technically still a newbie with putting a system together from the ground up, but I'm pretty familiar w/ switching out cards, IDE cables, PSUs and whatnot. I figured I would get some tips on what to expect and what not to do before I do them, here's the specs:

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

MSI P45 Neo3-FR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Re: New Rig

That looks like a pretty damn nice budget build. I'm assuming that you already have a decent HDD, optical drive and an OS to throw on there. Other than that, the only thing I would have done differently was spend a few extra bucks on 4 GB of RAM. 2 really isn't enough anymore and you're probably going to end up upgrading it soon anyhow.

Something like this would have been really nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227267
    sigpic

Comment

Not enough cash in the budget, I really stretched it as is. Not listed, I bought a Seagate 500 GB HD and my very first copy of windows lol. I'm reusing my peripherals and my optical drive.

Didn't feel the need for 4 GB, I won't be able to utilize anything past 2 from what I've read, and I could just reuse my old RAM if I really had to, I've got at least a 1 GB of Corsair XMS w/ its own heatsink ^.^

Comment

Did you purchase XP or Vista? x86 or x64?

Like Buckets said, it's a solid budget rig.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

why that ram? I bet you could save more money on ram.

You could go with a lighter CPU e7300 as well and get an 8800 vid card. Great hardware for today's games still.

Just don't go cheap on the mobo.

- -

Comment

Definitely didn't skimp on the mobo, wasn't planning on it, but it runs SLI/Crossfire and has OTC? Which means it will overclock itself automatically when necessary.

I went w/ the Radeon card b/c I like to root for the underdog and its a great card for the price.

Those things aside, anyone know of a good way to transfer the data on my old HD to my new one? I'm doing a fresh installation of windows XP so that doesn't need to make the trip, but I don't want the hassle of downloading my anime again and reinstalling the 8 or 9 games I do have installed. I'm currently slowly shuttling information from my internal HD to an external with plenty of space and plan on copying those files to my new internal. I'm not sure if that is such a great idea though, I'm kind of worried about the data decaying after being copied so many times.

Comment

You won't be over to overclock that processor for crap with the stock heatsink. We use 8400's in our builds here. The HSF is the same crappy circular aluminum coated one they used for their 65nm processors, but it's been chopped in half vertically. It's only about an inch tall. So if you're going to look at the OC route, you're definitely going to want a 3rd party HSF.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Thx for the heads up Spyder, I'll be sure to avoid that then at least until I can afford a fan upgrade.

In other news:

Okay! So I just received all my parts yesterday, and spent this evening putting this together, but I've gotten as far as setting up the BIOS and installing windows and my computer keeps shutting down. Its not like a power down, its like I'm not getting enough power into the system to keep it running. So far it has done it once during BIOS setup and 3 times during windows installation, it doesn't seem to happen at any specific time, I even got far enough into windows installation once when the bar at the bottom got about halfway through and the optical drive was running full speed for about 15 seconds before I got the shutdown.

Any idea what is happening and/or what I could do about it?

Comment

I assume you're using the stock Intel cooler?

Make sure you properly seated your CPU cooler. It should wiggle or move if it's properly seated.

If it does, then you'll need to take it off and remount it (push in two pins diagonally at a time).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The stock fan was a bit loose, so essentially I need to make sure its in there firmly?

Comment

ok, this stock fan is really getting on my nerves... I've managed to secure three of the sides, but the fourth makes me worry that if I push on it any harder its going to break something. With the three sides secured, the system does seem more stable, but now I can't get windows to load the files past about 5%.

System seems to be secure now from a power supply perspective, but now I can't get windows to install, its stopping loading files still, I've let it run for about 20 minutes now, anyone know what might be happening? I'm starting to worry the processor is fried.
                      Last edited by Uchiha Obito; 12-03-2008, 10:32 AM.

Comment

the CPU is not dead, hopefully, but basically you have to get that heatsink all the way down and make it click or you will fry it.
                        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

the problem is it doesn't seem to want to click. I completely removed my mobo and took the CPU fan off and made sure each mount would click and they did. However, once on the mobo the mount closest to the center of the mobo will not click. I had the mobo supported with one hand from underneath and pushed hard enough that my hands were shaking from the effort.

Compounding this, I've just tried to restart the system to see how far it gets into setup and I am no longer getting the startup screens for BIOS, etc. I am simply getting a black screen w/ an input _ that is unresponsive.

Comment

If the 4th pin is not secure on the heatsink, there is no reason to perform an OS install. The processor is going to get hot and the whole PC will shutdown as a safety precaution. If it's not shutting down, then it's probably running into errors and that's the reason you can't install anything properly.

Secure that heatsink before you do anything else.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

argh.... what should I do about the problem with installing it? I really am worried about breaking my mobo in half the whole thing flexes in when I push on it.

anyone have any personal experience installing these new stock fans? I really miss just screwing these in, half the time I will hear the click, and then then when I move to another mount, the previous one will pop out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X