Build Critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Critique

I'm helping my friend build a PC as his laptop is on its last legs and very outdated.

He's trying to spend no more than $1500, and so far this has seemed like an incredibly comfortable amount to work with. I'm just looking for input on a few parts.

I've got a wish list set up at Newegg with some stuff in it.

I've got quite a few choices of RAM in there. Many were taken from the deals Bamboo has been finding. I've talked him into Vista 64bit, so we don't have to worry about an address issue. If we can work out a sweet deal, he's not against 8 GB, he's going to be doing some photoshop work in the future (plus, it can't hurt, if the price is right).

RAM listed:

OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB

OCZ Gold 4GB DDR2 800

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB

CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 800

I've got the Q6600 and the Q8200 in there for CPUs, not really sure which to go with, both are the same price now. The Q6600 has more L2 cache, but the Q8200 is on 45nm, so that's pretty attractive. Thoughts? In the same boat, we're thinking of OCing. How are the stock HS/Fans they come with? I see a lot of people incorporate aftermarket cooling into their builds, so wondering if this is something we should consider.

He's without a monitor, so that has to be picked out too. He plans on playing modern games and whatnot, so a nice monitor would be fun. I have a Samsung 22" and a VS 21.5" listed. The 22" is 1680x1050, and the 21.5" is 1920x1080. The tempt of an HD monitor is nice, and he's interested in being able to hook his 360 up to it if possible (I gotta research this a bit more in terms of adapters and whatnot). The monitor choice will obviously have an impact on the video card choice. Keep in mind, I told him he could always force the game to have black bars and whatnot, but I know I'd get sick of that quickly. If anyone else has any suggestions on a nice looking, affordable monitor, fire away.

Samsung 22"

Viewsonic 21.5"

For a GPU, its gonna rely somewhat on the monitor we end up choosing. I put the GTX260 Core 216, and the HD4870 (the 1GB version). They both seem like pretty powerful cards for reasonable prices. I know that with the newer drivers, some Nvidia cards have squeezed out some more performance, but they've also been having issues with some other driver releases lately.

I went with what I have for a PSU, the OCZ GameXtreme 700W. Its solid, never had an issue, but I know there are cheaper alternatives. Just been out of the loop for so long I don't know if there's been anything good to come onto the market lately.

As for a motherboard, I'm pretty much at a complete loss. Nothing overly flashy, but something with some good features and a good setup and good cooling. I know people have talked about the P45 chipset lately, so I put a mobo with that into the wishlist.

Also, he's very attached to the feel of a laptop keyboard, I've done some googling for similar desktop keyboards, but nothing too solid or promising has caught my eye. I'll look around a bit more to see what I can find, but does anyone here use anything along those lines?

BTW, this is my first build since I built my s939 system fall of '06, so I am astounded with the prices. I want to build it, give him mine and keep it lol! Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by Anospa; 12-01-2008, 11:57 PM.

Re: Build Critique

well for RAM this is looking good right now. really just buy cheap stuff from a good company (Corsair, OCZ, Crucial).

Mobo looks good, I think a few TG guys have it and are pleased.

I'm leaning at a GTX260 right now but if you get a 4870 make sure its a 1GB, if far out performs the 512MB version.

I always loved my WD640GB same price, more storage, and faster.

monitor is a tough call and I don't know a whole lot.

the Q6600 outperforms the Q8200 so thats a no brainer, but for that pricerange you can get a better CPU. you have plenty of space to move all the way up to a Q9550 if you wanted. as for cooling the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 is one of the best out there and is cheap.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I guess when you share a wishlist, you also share the ability to delete items, so nearly all the RAM choices I had listed in it are gone, I'll edit the original post with them included, as well as other items that have been removed somehow.
      Last edited by Anospa; 12-01-2008, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Mobo

You can't go wrong with a P45 chipset, unless your friend is looking at SLI/Crossfire.

The P5Q Pro is a solid board.

Monitor

Stick with the 22" Samsung. Here's why:
        1) There are only two LCD panel manufacturers in the world: Samsung and LG. Everyone else buys the panels from one of these two companies.
        2) 22" is less odd than 21.5".

RAM

They all look like good choices. I'd choose Corsair since I've dealt with them in the last few builds I've done. Good warranty and knowledgeable tech support staffers. OCZ might be just as good but other than a flash drive, I've never had to deal with them.
        Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 12-02-2008, 02:02 AM.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

sadly acreo is wrong about the CPU

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...uad-q9400.html

as always there is difference in every chip you OC but most of the Q6600s reach that 3.4GHz mark quite easy from what I've heard, let alone more such as the articles 3.6 GHz Q6600. its a different beast since its 65nm but that high multiplier beats out the Q8200.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
            sadly acreo is wrong about the CPU

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...uad-q9400.html

as always there is difference in every chip you OC but most of the Q6600s reach that 3.4GHz mark quite easy from what I've heard, let alone more such as the articles 3.6 GHz Q6600. its a different beast since its 65nm but that high multiplier beats out the Q8200.
            Looks like I am. :o Let edit my last reply and remove that
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Whichever CPU you get, ditch the stock HSF on it. Especially if you go 45nm. the 45nm HSF's are the same as the craptacular 65nm ones, only they cut them in half

Really, really terrible.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                Really, really terrible.
                It's fine with stock settings. If you're going to overclock, then get a aftermarket cooler.

Although I don't like the push pin design, I'm satisfied with the 1/2 height stock cooler.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                  In the same boat, we're thinking of OCing. How are the stock HS/Fans they come with? I see a lot of people incorporate aftermarket cooling into their builds, so wondering if this is something we should consider.
                  If you're going to OC, absolutely yes aftermarket HSF.

I'd even recommend doing it if you aren't OCing but it's a gaming rig, personally. The stock HSF has issues if the system is running under high case temp/bad air circulation or becomes coated in dust because of the heatsink's small SA.

Normal operation in normal conditions it's fine.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Ok, cool guys, thanks for the input!

Gonna stick with the Q6600 I think then for the higher multiplier.

Comment

well like I said with that kind of budget go for something better. I was just pointing out some stuff about the decision you had already made. If you look at the review I posted the Q9400 does better and OCs better (3.8 GHz) than other parts.

combo deals with the Q9400 see the one at the bottom with Vista64.

Comment

Mm, it is better, but he wants to keep the price down as much as possible, $1500 is kinda the upper ceiling price; the lower we stay, the better. If the budget ends up working fairly well, I might go with it.

We plan on getting Vista through the Ultimate Steal.

Comment

Everything there looks pretty much good, I'd suggest having a look at mushkin for ram if you aren't set on getting ocz/corsair. Nothing wrong with those companies, just mushkin is another one you could add to the possibilities, especially if a sale comes up with them. Mushkin has great tech support like you wouldn't believe and their ram can go pretty far beyond their stock speeds.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X