Just Another Computer Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Another Computer Build

After looking at a pre-built PC, I was once again directed to building my own. And after some hard thought (and research) I've come up with rough sketch. This will be my first computer build, but a family friend (a professional and experienced builder) offered to help me put it together.

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC34G1333LLK

Western Digital RE3 WD7502ABYS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Thermaltake A1926 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders

SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

I'm on a budget of about $2000, but I'm in no rush to hit that mark. I want a solid computer that I can continue to upgrade and keep for as long as possible. Any suggestions, hints, or things I've done completely wrong (compatibility issues) will be thoroughly welcomed.

Thanks for you time!
    Last edited by DrBeat; 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM.

Re: Just Another Computer Build

Wow beat, looks like a pretty solid build to me. What $ does that setup currently put you at?

Any reason for the DVD-ROM only? I just usually see DVD burners for under $30 so if I was going to run two DVD players, I would have both of them be DVD burners.

Maybe some of the experts around here can check, but the PSU at 620W would seem to be a little underpowered for further expansion, again I could be completely wrong on that
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
      Wow beat, looks like a pretty solid build to me. What $ does that setup currently put you at?

Any reason for the DVD-ROM only? I just usually see DVD burners for under $30 so if I was going to run two DVD players, I would have both of them be DVD burners.

The DVD-ROM was not meant be in there.

According to my Newegg list, it's running me about $1,465, so I still have plenty of wiggle room in the setup to upgrade before buying parts and such.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat
        Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
        You can't use the Core i7 CPUs with the ASUS P5Q Pro Mobo. The Core i7s use LGA1366 socket and the ASUS have a LGA775 socket. They're incompatible.

You'll need to look for a LGA1366 socket board which currently uses the X58 Intel chipset.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          You can't use the Core i7 CPUs with the ASUS P5Q Pro Mobo. The Core i7s use LGA1366 socket and the ASUS have a LGA775 socket. They're incompatible.

You'll need to look for a LGA1366 socket board which currently uses the X58 Intel chipset.
          Something more like this?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
            Something more like this?
            Yup, something more like that. Also note that the LGA1366 boards run Triple Channel ram. So you may want to go 6GB (3x2) instead of 4.

They'll still run in Dual Channel from what I've read though (may want to double check that)
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

looks like an awesome build (after switching to a compatible motherboard lol... get 6gb ram and you wont have problems for years to come, and with a 2k budget, you could get a 4870 1gb to better fulfill your monitors resolution
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

That build will kick everyone's butt.

Also, Beat, you may want to spend the extra $50 or less and get the 4870 instead of the 4850 especially for the Sapphire cards. Not only is the cooler setup better (4870 two-slot and vents out the back versus the 1-slot 4850 that vents to the case), but the performance is noticeably better and WELL worth the extra couple of bucks.

The Powercolor cards run cooler and quieter, and you can get them for a good price. The only thing I don't like about them, is despite those facts, the fans on it vent into the case. Still useful for consideration, though, because all of the brands that use the reference heatsink design run hotter especially at idle.

The 4870 especially, keeps a very conservative fan profile by default. Where it doesn't even start kicking the fan on until it's around 70C. I have the profile set to run the fan at 20%, underclocked at idle, which brings it well below 50C. Then run a moderate overclock with the "gaming" profile at 45%.

But I'm just nitpicky about temps and sound an conserving energy when the card's not doing a 3D game.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

With all the changes suggested (and after a noob mistake) here's how it looks:

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9

Western Digital RE3 WD7502ABYS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders

SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

And sitting just a little over budget at 2,080.89. :)
                  Still, if you have any other suggestions I'm willing to go over budget if something really worth it comes along. Thanks for the help so far.
                  Last edited by DrBeat; 12-02-2008, 03:31 PM.

Comment

If you have the money, go for a 24" monitor instead of a 22" that way you can watch full HD (1080p) movies.

Make sure the case fan you have is a ball bearing fan and not a sleeve fan. Sleeve fans usually stop or break down within a short period of time. They're just not as reliable as ball bearing fans.

Otherwise, it looks like a solid high-end build.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you have the money, go for a 24" monitor instead of a 22" that way you can watch full HD (1080p) movies.
                      Normally I'd go for it, but the family has an HD TV and the price difference is about another $200.

Comment

Normally I'd go for it, but the family has an HD TV and the price difference is about another $200.
                        Okay, just speaking from personal preference here since we have two HDTVs in the house, but neither can play full HD movies (since both are only 720p) and sometimes we end up fighting who gets to use the two TVs.

The price on a BR player is dropped now to below $100 and within a year or so I'm guessing it'll drop to half that and be pretty affordable.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

One more random question. Do you think the stock coolers will be good enough for the present?

Comment

One more random question. Do you think the stock coolers will be good enough for the present?
                            It'll be fine if you don't plan on overclocking.

If you do then at some point you should invest in a aftermarket cooler. As for the i7s, you'd have to look. I'm not sure if there are any aftermarket coolers for such a new chip.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It'll be fine if you don't plan on overclocking.

If you do then at some point you should invest in a aftermarket cooler. As for the i7s, you'd have to look. I'm not sure if there are any aftermarket coolers for such a new chip.
                              Not interested in the overclocking as of now, but it's nice to know.

Also, do I need a network interface card? And does anyone have a recommendation for one with a decent price?
                              Last edited by DrBeat; 12-02-2008, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X