Rig died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig died

Went to start my rig up this morning, it fired up but i had a black screen but had a green light on my monitor like it should be showing something. I heard windows & all that but no screen. So i had to flip the switch in the back to shut off & reboot. When i went to turn it back on nothing, my rig wont start up now. The fans come on for a second but its like it gets power for a second then loses it. I have a green like at the bottom of my mb that shows i have power, so im kinda at a loss.
    I built this rig a few years ago & have had very few problems. I really need to figure this out without having to take it to Alltex, a local computer store to diagnose for me cause funds are a bit tight & they want $65 bucks an hour to look at it.
    I have a feeling it is probably the power supply or the switch in front of the case but really would like to hear some feed back from you guys before i start throwing parts at it. Here's a run down of my rig.
    500w ps
    asus motherboard
    2 gig oz ram
    3800 amd processor
    6800 gt video card
    Any help here will be appreciated, thx

Re: Rig died

Sounds like a PS issue to me.

There's an easy way to test the front switch. Find the connector for it on the motherboard and jump the two pins for the power switch briefly. It's the same thing as pressing the power button so far as the mobo is concerned. So if that starts it right up then you know you have a problem with the button.

I would try and get it started bare bones. Unplug all of the IDE/Sata cables and pull out the ram and any PC cards and try to boot it. It should post and beep code for the missing ram at the very least. If it doesn't even get that far, it's PSU or Mobo. If it does beep at you, start reconnecting things until it changes, starting with the ram. If you plug something in and it stops beeping and still won't boot you have found your problematic component.

You can test the power supply by jumping the (usually) green wire to any black (ground) wire on the 24 (or 20) pin connector. It should turn on. If it doesn't then the power supply is definitely shot. If it does power up it could still be bad. I've had PSU's pass the power up test but still fail under load, it's pretty common.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

OK, i was jumping the ps pins nothing happened so i plugged the ps back in & the machine is trying to start but fans are running very slow ect. & then it shut off right now so its looking like the power supply. The fan in the power supply does'nt run either.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinra View Post
        OK, i was jumping the ps pins nothing happened so i plugged the ps back in & the machine is trying to start but fans are running very slow ect. & then it shut off right now so its looking like the power supply. The fan in the power supply does'nt run either.
        Classic dead PSU.

Get something but a name brand on it. I'm presuming your dead one is some generic branded PSU that came with your case.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X