Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $200 Vista Refund?! Wowowweewow

http://equiliberate.org/?q=node/3&page=2

Apparently this man took the time to read his eula. The contract says that a refund may be issued if the consumer does not agree to the terms. This intrepid techie wiped his hd and installed an open source platform. After several months of haggling, he recieved a $200 check from hp as a refund of his vista OS.

WOW!
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: $200 Vista Refund?! Wowowweewow

Originally posted by Switch View Post
    http://equiliberate.org/?q=node/3&page=2

Apparently this man took the time to read his eula. The contract says that a refund may be issued if the consumer does not agree to the terms. This intrepid techie wiped his hd and installed an open source platform. After several months of haggling, he recieved a $200 check from hp as a refund of his vista OS.

WOW!
    That's actually pretty well-known as it's stated I think in the beginning sections of the EULA.

As for $200, usually you only get back what you paid for your copy of Windows. I'd have to read that article to see where $200 came from.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Honestly, the guy was a pest. If he did not want Vista then he should have taken the advice from the HP operators and bought a computer without Vista. One other thing I am not understanding completely, if he got $200 from HP for the Vista he didn't have intentions of using then how would HP stop him from using it? I mean how would they know he just didn't whine around till they sent him a $200 check and still used Vista anyway? He has the product key and of course the restoration copy of Vista anyway.

I still say he was a "WHINER" and got money for something he is probably using anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
        Honestly, the guy was a pest. If he did not want Vista then he should have taken the advice from the HP operators and bought a computer without Vista. One other thing I am not understanding completely, if he got $200 from HP for the Vista he didn't have intentions of using then how would HP stop him from using it? I mean how would they know he just didn't whine around till they sent him a $200 check and still used Vista anyway? He has the product key and of course the restoration copy of Vista anyway.

I still say he was a "WHINER" and got money for something he is probably using anyway.
        He probably is using it. Someone tried the same thing when XP came out (think he might have gotten more than $200).

What I don't understand is, why did HP send him $200? Isn't he supposed to deal with Microsoft and get a refund through them since the EULA is between Microsoft and the End User (the guy), not HP and the End User.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          What I don't understand is, why did HP send him $200? Isn't he supposed to deal with Microsoft and get a refund through them since the EULA is between Microsoft and the End User (the guy), not HP and the End User.
          The problem is that HP (and other PC companies) don't want to lose out on bundling the OS with the sale of a computer. They also know that it's dangerously close to a monopoly with MS products being just about the only thing that they sell on new computers. $200 is nothing to them, and that's why you'll see it as an option now when you go to order a computer online.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

A pest? They include a legal contract that says he doesn't have to use the OS and can be refunded if he doesnt want it... and he's a pest because it takes him months for them to fulfill their obligation?
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
              A pest? They include a legal contract that says he doesn't have to use the OS and can be refunded if he doesnt want it... and he's a pest because it takes him months for them to fulfill their obligation?
              I don't think you read what msdz said. He's a pest because he tried to do it after purchasing the PC with Windows on it. There's the issue of proving that the customer is truly not using the OS anymore and why he didn't order the PC without an OS in the first place.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                I don't think you read what msdz said. He's a pest because he tried to do it after purchasing the PC with Windows on it. There's the issue of proving that the customer is truly not using the OS anymore and why he didn't order the PC without an OS in the first place.
                It's up to the PC company to ensure that he's not using the OS anymore. He didn't agree with the EULA, he uninstalled the OS and notified the PC company of his actions, and requested his refund.

When you go to WalMart, BestBuy or OfficeDepot, you can't order a computer the way you want it. You simply take what they have.
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

In the article, the guy says that he wanted that particular laptop. It could have been that he really liked the hardware it had. I am like that, I am very picky with my hardware and so if I dont build my own (as in the case of a laptop) I will buy something exactly how I want it (as close as possible) and if it doesnt come with the OS I want, wipe it and put my own.

Well cingular got it before me and said it better! Thats why I buy from dell through the company I work for. That way I can build it on the website and then send the config to our rep.
                  Last edited by MrShawn305; 12-05-2008, 11:35 AM. Reason: Cing got to it before me

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    ... They also know that it's dangerously close to a monopoly with MS products being just about the only thing that they sell on new computers...
                    Sorry to go off topic for a moment: But does Apple even allow other companies to buy licenses of the Mac OS? Last I knew unless it was a home brew project with 'special' software the only way to get MAC OS on a new computer was to buy an Apple Computer.

Back on Topic... Vista has its quirks, chief for me is the rather poor legacy support, but that happens with every new OS. My Grandparents have been on Vista since about two months past launch, with only one major issue since then (they picked up a bug), otherwise their PC has been running smooth. Now I'll admit that I'm not thrilled with Vista 32 bit, but Vista 64 bit I am very interested in.

As for this guy. I truly feel sorry for the run around that he had, HP dropped the ball, their customer service was WAY below par.

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                      Sorry to go off topic for a moment: But does Apple even allow other companies to buy licenses of the Mac OS?
                      http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MjE0NTM2Nw
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Apple has a 100% monopoly on software on their hardware, and you can expect a team of lawyers to show up on your doorstep if you try and put it on any other hardware. There is a huge court battle going on right now as a matter of fact with a company that was trying to sale their own hardware with OS-X on it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          Apple has a 100% monopoly on software on their hardware, and you can expect a team of lawyers to show up on your doorstep if you try and put it on any other hardware. There is a huge court battle going on right now as a matter of fact with a company that was trying to sale their own hardware with OS-X on it.
                          That doesn't mean you can't buy OSX and install on a system you built yourself.

Just means that if you try to sell a system with OSX preloaded or they'll have you hanging by your balls. :row__631:
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Apple has a 100% monopoly on software on their hardware, and you can expect a team of lawyers to show up on your doorstep if you try and put it on any other hardware.
                            They absolutely do not. You are 100% wrong on this.
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Let's rephrase this to:

Apple has a very tight leash over use of their software on hardware being sold. You can expect...
                              Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              They absolutely do not. You are 100% wrong on this.
                              Does that satisfy CD (my new shorthand for Cingy)?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X