Questions on a New PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on a New PC

I'm thinking of getting/building a Gaming PC.

I'm not sure whether or not to get a refurbished PC, buy a new system altogether, or just build it. I'm on a really tight budget. What do you guys recommended is the best? I have a local refurbished in mind at about $600, running Intel Core 2 Quad w/ Vista.

I really need to get as much out of the PC as possible.

Thanks.
    |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Re: Questions on a New PC

Is $600 your absolute max limit?

Do you know what the specs of that $600 refurb machine is (beyond the CPU)?

What games do you want to play and will play on the new rig? How long do you plan on keeping it before getting a new system or upgrading?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

that refurb probably has a q6600 and a 8400 256mb with 1 or 2gb ram, a cheap mobo psu and case... you can build a computer with cheap everything and a decent quad for less yet but it will probably not be good at gaming at all...

if you are on a tight budget, intel is not the way to go because you get bottom shelf celeron, which are mostly top shelf cpu that dont make the quality cut... where with AMD you can get a year old generation cpu, that has been die shrunk to run cooler and OC better... for under a hundo

Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
      Model #:P180
      Item #:N82E16811129154
      Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
      In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
      $149.99 -$40.00 Instant $109.99

Update

ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
      Model #:M3A78
      Item #:N82E16813131340
      Return Policy:Limited 30-Day Return Policy
      In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
      $80.99 $80.99

Update

GIGABYTE GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

GIGABYTE GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
      Model #:GV-R485ZL-512H
      Item #:N82E16814125238
      In Stock
      Mail-in Rebate

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
      $169.99 $169.99

Update

Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
      Model #:NEOHE 550
      Item #:N82E16817103941
      In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
      $99.99 $99.99

Update

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADV60000DOBOX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADV60000DOBOX - Retail
      Model #:ADV60000DOBOX
      Item #:N82E16819103272
      Return Policy:Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
      In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
      $76.00 $76.00

Update

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
      Model #:F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
      Item #:N82E16820231122
      Return Policy:Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
      In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
      $49.99 -$5.00 Instant $44.99

Update

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
      Model #:ST3250410AS
      Item #:N82E16822148262
      In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
      $54.99 $54.99

Update

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM
      Model #:iHAS120-04
      Item #:N82E16827106263
      In Stock

the above system i have built for a friend, and am going to build for another classmate once the parts come (he will get most for christmas) it does not have an OS, because both systems are for classmates who, like me, get <insert OS HERE> free through school. the total right now is 658 something... without an os but it is a very decent computer for a budget... you can save fifty bucks by not getting that case, but the 3 i have built using that case, everyone likes it you can save another 60 bucks if you get the ati 4830, which is a pretty good bang for the buck
      Last edited by Tonk; 12-05-2008, 02:58 AM.
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

What parts are you reusing?
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Here are the Stats:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
          Intel® Core(tm) 2 Quad Processor Q6600
          3GB DDR2-667 RAM (Not Expandable)
          500GB 7,200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
          NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS Video Chipset
          High Definition Audio Chipset
          LightScribe SuperMulti DVD Burner
          HP Multimedia Keyboard, HP Optical Mouse

Total: $629.

To answer the question, this is very close to the limit on my budget.
          |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Comment

you wont be able to play games with an 8400GS

He is a nice guide, and I stress guide, to help look at parts with $600 I'd spend a bit more on the GPU and get a HD4850.

you could take the guts of the econobox and mix in some bits from the utility player
            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

A budget of $600, as noted above, would require building an AMD system. Which isn't all that bad, really.

I built my gaming rig for roughly that price, and it runs RAID with an HD4870 1GB card. Just avoid the Phenoms, they aren't really that much better performers than the X2 line. Wait on the Phenom II.

It's possible to build an AMD PC that can perform as well as a number of Intel systems (until you get into the higher end, and above the entry-level Core2Quad), if not better.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                A budget of $600, as noted above, would require building an AMD system.
                Not true. You can pack in a pretty nice Core 2 Duo at that price and still pack in some decent graphics card.

I'd suggest a C2D E7200, 2 GB of RAM, a HD4850/9800GT, and Vista Home Premium.

It would let you game well for another 2-3 years.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Depending on what parts you are reusing you may be able to save quite a bit and make that budget go farther. New harddrive? New PSU? New case? Optical drives?

I suggest you reuse all of those if possible.

Or is this old computer going on to a new purpose, meaning you must purchase an entire new system? Including monitor?

It is hard to give detailed suggestions without this sort of info.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Not true. You can pack in a pretty nice Core 2 Duo at that price and still pack in some decent graphics card.

I'd suggest a C2D E7200, 2 GB of RAM, a HD4850/9800GT, and Vista Home Premium.

It would let you game well for another 2-3 years.
                    Maybe, but if you want an added sound card or any other goodies, you'll have run out of budget.
                    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Maybe, but if you want an added sound card or any other goodies, you'll have run out of budget.
                      He could always live with onboard sound, it's not bad.

Like Namebot has said already, he can afford some better parts by reusing some of his old components.

Of course if he's starting from scratch, he's going to have to skim on some components.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        He could always live with onboard sound, it's not bad.

Like Namebot has said already, he can afford some better parts by reusing some of his old components.

Of course if he's starting from scratch, he's going to have to skim on some components.
                        So long as he's using the digital connections, or the analog outputs are well modulated.

Most analog outputs with onboard sound, have low-level interference noise. I can always hear it.

Comment

So long as he's using the digital connections, or the analog outputs are well modulated.

Most analog outputs with onboard sound, have low-level interference noise. I can always hear it.
                          I'm using analog 5.1 speakers and headphones. It could be that I'm used to less expensive hardware, but I haven't noticed any interference noise while listening to music, audiobooks, or even gaming sounds.

As for digital connections, I don't have a thing in the house (apart from my dad's most recent receiver) that can take a digital SPDIF connection (or even fiber optic digital cables).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

http://com.puter.tv/ctv/ try getting more help there

Comment

For $600 he can live with a bit of low-level noise. Or if his hearing is bad as mine he will never hear it.

Hear is how I save money on my cheap systems.

First realize why you are buying the machine. To be able to play new games at a decent quality. It isn't to impress your friends or the uber geeks on the boards. It isn't to get 100 fps because 30-40 will do just fine.

So first I find a really cheap case. I go to garage sales and local computer shops to look for ugly beige cases for 5 bucks. (Local computer stores are bad places to find most used parts because they are overpriced but for some reason they sell used ugly cases really cheap.) Also hit the second hand and consignment stores. You can find older computers with good spare parts as well very cheap.

If I am lucky that ugly case came with an old dvd player so I use it. If I am really lucky the power supply will also suffice. This is rare but has happened a couple of times.

Next I start asking my friends what used parts they have that they want to get rid of cheaply. If you are like me and have geeky single friends you can find some good stuff.

Memory is a good one. Even "slow" memory doesn't actually affect game performance that much. Maybe they have one of those "old" hard drives that only have a 150-200 gig capacity. This is fine for a cheap box.

Then I do a lot of research on the motherboards. I find the best one that can use the parts I have collected that also costs the least. I will give up fireware, onboard wifi etc. Just get the minimum.

The reason for all this work is to save money for the graphics card and cpu.

The CPU I get the last generation. I have never been disappointed by this decision and I make a living using the computer (I develop software). Using a computer 10-14 hours a day doing very cpu intensive things has convinced me that software almost never takes advantage of current CPU capabilities and there is almost never a cpu bottle neck going this route. Something else will effect you first.

For six hundred dollars if you are frugal like I am you can have 250-300 dollars easily left over for the graphics card. And personally I think that is the most crucial part of a computer for games.
                              I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X