Winxp64

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winxp64

Download it for a free 1 year evaluation.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/upgrade.mspx

If any one gives it a go, please let us know how it is. I personally am a little leary, but I would love to make the switch.
    Last edited by Usarion; 01-30-2005, 12:13 AM.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Re: Winxp64

lacks drivers when i tried it... was just as stable as XP 32 though.

MUCH faster bootup though
    From Adam Webb

Comment

Yeah, that lack of drivers has kept me from using WinXP64.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

I wonder how long it's going to take for the drivers to catch up??
        I would love to make the jump over. Don't get me wrong I love my 64 bit set-up, I just want to make the most of it. Apparently the full version will be released in the spring.

Here is a ATI 64bit driver. I have not checked it out.
        http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...=12&submit.y=9

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Originally posted by asch
          Yeah, that lack of drivers has kept me from using WinXP64.
          Ditto .
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Microsoft releases RC2 of 64-bit Windows XP
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Ooh! Very interesting. So must one have a 64-bit processor installed to take advantage of the 64-bit OS? (go go gadget research)

Comment

ummmmm....

yeah.

research done.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by tekunogekai
                  Ooh! Very interesting. So must one have a 64-bit processor installed to take advantage of the 64-bit OS? (go go gadget research)
                  Yes and no.

You're going to get a performance benefit because your CPU is faster than a regular 32-bit. You've also got a "wider" bus which will speed data transfers between devices on you front-side bus (and maybe even PCI bus).

On the flip side, until programmers start optimizing code for 64-bit systems: the full pontential of your system will not be realized.

Comment

Can you run 32bit applications (um, GAMES?) on the 64 bit platform?
                    USAR

Comment

I use my a64 for everything.

and the answer is no fenix.... 64bit software will not run on 32bit chips.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                        Can you run 32bit applications (um, GAMES?) on the 64 bit platform?
                        Yes, it's the same as running a DirectX 9.0 compatible Video card in a game that hasn't written support for the new feature: you just won't recieve any noticable performance gains.

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                        and the answer is no fenix.... 64bit software will not run on 32bit chips.
                        What? Of course it won't. It's like trying to run giga-bit over thinnet.

Comment

The problem is not so much that you won't see any benefit, as the OS is the one program that is ALWAYS running on your computer, so if you speed it up, you're speeding everything up. The problem is a lack of drivers. Heck, there are some people out there that still don't have drivers for WinXP32, they're definitely going to be SOL for WinXP64...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                            What? Of course it won't. It's like trying to run giga-bit over thinnet.
                            Fenix, look at your previous post where you told him:
                            Originally posted by TheFenix
                            Originally posted by tekunogekai
                            Yes and no.

You're going to get a performance benefit because your CPU is faster than a regular 32-bit. You've also got a "wider" bus which will speed data transfers between devices on you front-side bus (and maybe even PCI bus).

On the flip side, until programmers start optimizing code for 64-bit systems: the full pontential of your system will not be realized.
                            in this post you said he could use a 64bit os on a 32bit chip.... it is obviously an error in your interpretation of the question posed in his post, but he is asking if he can install a 64bit winxp on his 32bit cpu....there is no "yes and no"... the answer is no. period. that is what I was correcting.

actually, the direct answer to his question is "yes, you must have a 64bit chip to run winxp64" but also, in interpretation, "no, you cannot run winxp64 on your 32bit chip."

Comment

So, if I installed 64 on my system, could I run steam also?
                              USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X