Nvidia Badaboom and ATI Avivo GPU Video Transcoders Battle to the Death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Badaboom and ATI Avivo GPU Video Transcoders Battle to the Death

We have talked about Nvidia's transcoder program, and I mentioned in the post about the new ATI driver about their new program, and here is the 1st review of how they compare.

Very short story:

The Nvidia Badaboom transcoder wins on interface, looks and ease of use, though you need an Nvidia card that supports CUDA, limiting it to relatively recent GPUs. ATI's Avivo uses a crappy wizard format and is kind of ugly, but it has a wealth of options and outputs that Badaboom simply doesn't offer. It's also faster, though it does use more CPU action than Badaboom. And you know, it's free, while Badadoom is $30 if you don't want that gross watermark.
    For the whole review click on the [PCPer] link at the end of the article linked above.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Nvidia Badaboom and ATI Avivo GPU Video Transcoders Battle to the Death

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    We have talked about Nvidia's transcoder program, and I mentioned in the post about the new ATI driver about their new program, and here is the 1st review of how they compare.

Very short story:

For the whole review click on the [PCPer] link at the end of the article linked above.

So both transcoder programs converts it to a proprietary format? Or is the transcoded video (I presume on-the-fly) not saved permanently?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I believe the transcoders will write to several formats so that you can take your media to go, such as the many types of ipods and other portable players, I bet you could even convert to appleTV or some other media extenders like xbox360

If you actually look at the screen shot it says saving to C:...
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        I believe the transcoders will write to several formats so that you can take your media to go, such as the many types of ipods and other portable players, I bet you could even convert to appleTV or some other media extenders like xbox360

If you actually look at the screen shot it says saving to C:...
        Ah, so it does.

Probably won't use it myself (unless it's extremely speedy compared to other encoding/transcoding software.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

so is a transcoder a video converter?
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Ah, so it does.

Probably won't use it myself (unless it's extremely speedy compared to other encoding/transcoding software.
            That is supposed to be the point of these. It uses your GPU to do the work, which from what I have read a GPU can do much faster than a CPU. Can be up to 2x as fast from what I have read, maybe faster.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That is supposed to be the point of these. It uses your GPU to do the work, which from what I have read a GPU can do much faster than a CPU. Can be up to 2x as fast from what I have read, maybe faster.
              I've read similar articles, but I've yet to see side-by-side comparisons of these two transcoders versus something like FFMPEG (which is what I use now).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Don't intend to sound mean but you should actually read the article

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=3

scroll down a wee bit
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                  Don't intend to sound mean but you should actually read the article

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=3

scroll down a wee bit
                  No it's fine, I can get ahead of myself sometimes. I've read it over before and I can see that both transcoders are fast, but they compared it to Xilisoft which uses a proprietary encoder (as far as I could tell besides some similar command lines to FFMPEG, it doesn't use FFMPEG).

I've read it again and did some more digging. It seems Xilisoft employs spammers to get their pagerank up and to promote their converter (Source). Other than that, I could not find any good link between Xilisoft's converter and FFMPEG.

I'll keep an eye on both transcoders, but I'm not liking how the AMD one utilizes so much CPU processing power in addition to the utilization of the GPU. As for nVidia, it uses only about 50% (spikes) CPU, but it costs $60.

FFMPEG is free, is touted for its low system resource usage (why some linux boxes run it to convert uploaded videos to create YouTube clone sites), is free, and there are plenty of GUIs for the encoder.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I personally don't transcode video very often, though that will probably change when I get an Iphone, but I don't care how much GPU/CPU resources it uses, as long as it does it super fast and looks good. That is one of the reasons I built with a quad core, so even if this program wants to run at 100%, I will hardly notice while doing other stuff.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

As an update, new news out today on both programs.
                      Folks were wondering about time differences, so check this out:

The picture above shows processor usage of 54% during conversion. Avivo does put quite a burden on the processor, whereas Badaboom uses only 36%. On the other hand, ATI was faster, as you can see for yourself from the following picture.

But like I said, I could care less if it is using 50%, heck even 75% CPU if it gives results like that. Plus, it's free unlike the one for Nvidia

Here is like to the news on ATI:
                      ATI Catalyst 8.12 and Avivo converter reporting for duty
                      Gives a good review of the new driver too.

Here is the news just out on the Nvidia one:

Nvidia's new Badaboom 1.1 is out

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

As an update, new news out today on both programs.
                        Folks were wondering about time differences, so check this out:

But like I said, I could care less if it is using 50%, heck even 75% CPU if it gives results like that. Plus, it's free unlike the one for Nvidia

Here is like to the news on ATI:
                        ATI Catalyst 8.12 and Avivo converter reporting for duty
                        Gives a good review of the new driver too.

Here is the news just out on the Nvidia one:

Nvidia's new Badaboom 1.1 is out
                        Maybe I should have gone with the HD4850 you suggested Bam. Then I could transcode a few videos I have in a few hours instead of a few days. :icon_lol:
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X