More Troubleshooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Troubleshooting

Just got two consecutive blue screens in the last 20 minutes, but I'm not sure what to make of them. They both went by so fast I didn't even have time to realize that the first one was a blue screen, they both caused my computer to completely reboot before I even hit any keys.

The first time I was playing World of Warcraft and not doing anything intensive, was simply grinding some random mobs, went to go loot, got some lag and all of a sudden my computer was restarting.

Second time, I was playing on CS:S on a gun game server and I had agreed to a console scripted knife fight, when it came time to teleport me I got another blue screen and a restart.

Unfortunately, both times went by so fast I didn't even get to see the first letter of the stop command. Any ideas on what just happened?

Re: More Troubleshooting

Are you on your new rig or your old one?

Are you using XP or Vista?

My first suggestion is to try updating your graphics drivers. Or, if they are up-to-date and it's a nVidia chipset, try using the 175.12 Beta driver.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm on my new computer running 32-bit Vista. CPU in Pentium, GPU is ATI.

Comment

Have you tried a stable WHQL certified driver version for your ATI card?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You're not seeing the BSOD because Windows automatically restarts to prevent the error message from displaying. You can disable this to see the message.

1. Right-click on My Computer and go to properties.
          2. If it's Vista, click on Advanced system settings to bring up a dialog.
          3. On the Advanced tab go to the Startup and Recovery settings.
          4. Uncheck automatically restart.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
            You're not seeing the BSOD because Windows automatically restarts to prevent the error message from displaying. You can disable this to see the message.

1. Right-click on My Computer and go to properties.
            2. If it's Vista, click on Advanced system settings to bring up a dialog.
            3. On the Advanced tab go to the Startup and Recovery settings.
            4. Uncheck automatically restart.
            That's great to know. I normally just try to ninja reflex it -.-

Comment

tyty Sarc, I'll just have to catch the stop message the next time

Comment

Okay, finally managed to catch that Blue Screen in the act thanks to Sarc, and here's the message:

STOP: 0x00000116, etc.
                atikmdag.sys, etc.

Looking around, that appears to be a message relating to my video card, and more specifically radeon drivers on vista. I went ahead and downloaded the latest drivers, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas on possible solutions. I've gotten a good week or 2 w/o any error messages, in fact I think I had a good 6 hours on world of warcraft one day last week with no issues.

Comment

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...=y&STARTPAGE=2

The last post in that thread has a list of possible solutions. Although, they're related to random components and don't guarantee a fix.

Updating your drivers should be a good start. Hope it works!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

lol, well, got another new BSOD

STOP: 0x00000101

it seems there is something along the lines of a clock error, and its typically from multi-core processors... orz

gonna try and update my mobo's drivers and see if that does anything for it, and thanks for the link sarc

Comment

Okay, after several days without incident I think I've nailed down my problem. Both days that I got my BSODs I had changed my computer's clock on the desktop and I am thinking that it somehow caused a problem when the computer's internal clock read differently. I am thinking I need to change my clock in my BIOS settings, but I'm not 100%.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X