Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Acer Aspire One (Black, Windows XP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Acer Aspire One (Black, Windows XP)

At long last, I've finished my review of my Acer Aspire One netbook. To refresh everyone's memory, I have the highest-end version of the AAO in black (Windows XP, 160 GB HDD, Extended Battery).

I've posted my full review on my personal website: http://www.acreoaeneas.co.cc/reviews_aao.html

I've also included a screenshot of the entire review below:

I'll add something extra about the actual battery life I get tomorrow morning. Just check my website again if you want to read it.

Questions and comments are welcome!
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Review: Acer Aspire One (Black, Windows XP)

Guess everyone lost interest due the recent netbook discussions... :row__632:
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

nice review, good impressions :)
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

i like the review. you did a nice job at getting the points across that matters. Only wish i could afford one.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

I left out my impressions and such on the battery life, keyboard, and screen. I updated the screenshot of the review.

Thank you to Spulat and Trooper. :)
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually, I passed on a link to my dad and an old roommate, both of whom I mentioned the netbook idea to.

Also, sorry I just found this, but Best Buy has your same model on sale for $300 one day only, but it may already be sold out:

Dealzmodo: $300 Acer Aspire One Today Only

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Good review.
              I really like my Aspire One, I got the same one you did, except mine has a 3 cell. [Yes, the 160Gb XP model has a 3 cell version. At least in Canada anyway.] Battery life is fairly poor, but you can't complain at 340 after tax.

I'll be grabbing a 6 cell battery online early next year, or if I can get a decent 3rd party 9 cell, I might grab one of those.

Cheers,
              It's Gaming
              Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
                Good review.
                I really like my Aspire One, I got the same one you did, except mine has a 3 cell. [Yes, the 160Gb XP model has a 3 cell version. At least in Canada anyway.] Battery life is fairly poor, but you can't complain at 340 after tax.

I'll be grabbing a 6 cell battery online early next year, or if I can get a decent 3rd party 9 cell, I might grab one of those.

Cheers,
                I bought mine with the intent on buying the 6 cell later and installing it.

Fortunately, I've gotten Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) installed and most everything works, but unfortunately the freaking wireless doesn't ...............no surprise there.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                  I bought mine with the intent on buying the 6 cell later and installing it.

Fortunately, I've gotten Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) installed and most everything works, but unfortunately the freaking wireless doesn't ...............no surprise there.
                  I've read on several Linux discussion forums that you have to manually update to the latest Atheros wireless driver. Then the WiFi will work, but the LED light will cease to function.

You should be able to find those threads using a Google search (at least that's how I came across them).

I'll try and dig up where I found the Atheros driver for my WiFi card.

Originally posted by Bamboo
                  Also, sorry I just found this, but Best Buy has your same model on sale for $300 one day only, but it may already be sold out:

Dealzmodo: $300 Acer Aspire One Today Only
                  Well in hindsight I should have waited until this offer came along to buy. Then I would have saved over $60. But I've been using mines for over 1 month and 1 week now. The screen (and res) along with the keyboard could be bigger, but the 6-cell battery makes up for a lot.

I had several classmates and even a few professors comment on how they were going to purchase one as well (only one of them did that I know of).

I'm shocked I don't see more of these things in the wild at my college seeing how half the students are tech geeks and we love tech and toys. :) Plus I see quite a few students with lappys, but they all sit next to a wall outlet and tether their notebooks up. It's a shame that most don't have extended batteries and can only go for about 2 hours on DC juice.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So this morning I am laying on the couch trying to wake up and am scrolling through the channels on TV, and pass by the Home Shopping network. I just catch a flash, but realized it was a netbook for sale, so turned it back. Turns out it was the same netbook we are talking about, the ACER with XP and the big harddrive.

Guess how much they wanted..................

$500!!!!!!! And even more funny was that they had this text on the screen that said actual value was like $850!!!!!!!!!!!! But they said they have sold more than 1,800 of them so far, so that is pretty crazy (and shows how stupid people out there are).

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      So this morning I am laying on the couch trying to wake up and am scrolling through the channels on TV, and pass by the Home Shopping network. I just catch a flash, but realized it was a netbook for sale, so turned it back. Turns out it was the same netbook we are talking about, the ACER with XP and the big harddrive.

Guess how much they wanted..................

$500!!!!!!! And even more funny was that they had this text on the screen that said actual value was like $850!!!!!!!!!!!! But they said they have sold more than 1,800 of them so far, so that is pretty crazy (and shows how stupid people out there are).
                      $850 for the original price...ROFL! :row__642:

That's insane. Can't believe there were 1,800 suckers who already fell for that rip-off price.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am pretty set on getting and MSI Wind, so I will let you all know how I like it!

Turkish <3 Netbookz
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                          I am pretty set on getting and MSI Wind, so I will let you all know how I like it!

Turkish <3 Netbookz
                          Nice. I messed with one at Micro Center the other day. Not bad. Pretty similar to my AAO.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I was looking at the Wind, but I'm pretty sure it was the price point that drove me to ultimately select the AA1.

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                              I was looking at the Wind, but I'm pretty sure it was the price point that drove me to ultimately select the AA1.
                              It is a bit steep since the AAO offers just about as much for less.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X