Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade advice

Hey guys,

Christmas is coming and I'm looking for some upgrade advice.

I have a Pentium D Dual core 2.8 GHz right now and it's not the fastest thing under the sun and was curious as to what you would suggest for under $200.

Also I would like to upgrade the 2GB of ram that I have but don't know how limited I am. I have a Dell XPS 600 with 2GB 667 MHz ( PC2-5300 ). Is that the only type that I can use or can i use something different? I have 4 slots available.

Any help would be great as I know nothing about the internals of computers, I get nervous just swapping video cards.

Re: Upgrade advice

processor is prety good... dual core at 2.8 ghz... i got a pentium dual core e2140 at 1.60 ghz and its prety awsome...

for the ram do you have 32 bit or 64 bit vista?

Comment

You may not be able to upgrade the CPU.

You should be fine with adding different speed ram. You could also purchase 2x2 sticks and replace the ones you have in there.

You could also replace the video cards with a single card. I wouldn't spend too much on this as your cpu will hold back the performance of most of the higher end cards. I suggest you go with something in the performance value area. Such as a 4830 or 4670.

Those 2 upgrades should run you much less than $200.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddlestx View Post
        Hey guys,

Christmas is coming and I'm looking for some upgrade advice.

I have a Pentium D Dual core 2.8 GHz right now and it's not the fastest thing under the sun and was curious as to what you would suggest for under $200.

Also I would like to upgrade the 2GB of ram that I have but don't know how limited I am. I have a Dell XPS 600 with 2GB 667 MHz ( PC2-5300 ). Is that the only type that I can use or can i use something different? I have 4 slots available.

Any help would be great as I know nothing about the internals of computers, I get nervous just swapping video cards.
        Do you know what year you purchased the XPS 600?

It would help us to narrow down which LGA775 CPUs your mobo can take.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If your PC can handle it I highly suggest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231145

Comment

it was bought in december of 2005. Why would I not be able to upgrade the CPU?

Comment

you can run CPU-Z to find out what chipset you have and then we can see what is open.
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

It's a Dell 0GC375 which according to the web is this

Chipset Vendor Nvidia Corp
                Chipset Model nForce4 Intel Edition CPU to PCI Bridge
                South Bridge nForce4 PCI to ISA Bridge
                SMBus Nvidia Corp nForce4 SMBus @5000h
                SMBus Nvidia Corp nForce4 SMBus @B000h

source http://www.treiber-forum.de/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10033

Is that any help, I can open up the case tonight when i get home if i have to.

Comment

looks like the best you can do is a conroe. no quad 45nm parts for you.

Conroes are still really good I have my E6750 at 3.2 GHz right now so if you can find one that is a good option.

hell if I had enough money I would sell you mine and I could get wolfdale and clock even higher but I'm a poor college student.

but in all honesty 2.8 GHz isn't anything to be ashamed of the only thing that chip could be lacking would be some cache.
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

According to crucial that system can do PC-6400 (DDR-800) as well as 5300, which is usually the case with pc5300 systems.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Do I need to replace all the slots or can i leave 2 512 sticks in and put 2 2Gb sticks in and have a total of 5?

Comment

That should work. At most you would have to remove a pair, so there is no harm in trying.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

you need a 64 bit os to be able to take advantage of more than 4gb, deduct your gpu and sound buffer memory, and you have about 3.2 to 3.5 gigs, even if u have 5 in there... id just take out the orig gig