Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Best Media Center Applications

This was posted on the 7th, but I just got around to posting it. :row__593:

Pretty good article. I am looking into Boxee right now because they just added Netflix streaming.

Link:
    Five Best Media Center Applications

They look at :

XBMC (Windows/Mac/Linux/Xbox/Apple TV)
    Boxee (Mac OS X/Apple TV/Linux)
    Windows Media Center (Windows/Xbox 360)
    SageTV (Windows/Mac/Linux)
    MythTV (Linux)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Five Best Media Center Applications

I finally got around to installing XBMC on my linux box and I could not be happier. I use my linux machine for all media downloads/ripping/etc. My main need for the a media center is the upnp server to stream to my xbox 360. Before I tried XBMC, I was using Tversity on windows to access shares on the linux pc jus to stream because Tversity was far easier to update than the command line upnp servers I found for linux. XBMC solves all my problems. The media scanning does seem to cause some crashing of the software, but it offers all the options I could want in a simple GUI. I recommend anyone who ever wants to use a linux distro as a media center free from the typical malware assaults to try XBMC. Me and my 360 are very happy.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I use Mediaportal myself, open-source. Works great and happy with it.

Comment

I currently use VMC but only because I haven't decided on other DVR software to use.

Tried Myth, had too much trouble with it. Tried Sage, didn't work entirely how I wanted it. However, I didn't know about XBMC and Boxee so I'll have to check those out.

I downloaded GBPVR but I don't think I ended up installing it. Right now the DVR doesn't get too much use due to my ex still not having sent the remote back, and that I don't have the right HD tuner and the family likes to watch the HD channels.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Windows explorer is my favorite with

Comment

GB-PVR has worked great for me. I tried Myth but decided I wanted something that ran in Windows, but wanted free. GB-PVR has worked great. I don't use it as a full fledged media center, but liked it enough I subscribed to Schedules Direct for the EPG information.

I use GB-PVR to record stuff only I watch (Fringe, CSI, etc.) and then have a scheduled process run overnight that encodes the raw .MPG to WMV for playback on my Creative Zen.

Lots of good feedback from others that are using GB-PVR as a full fledged media center as well and there are tons of plug-ins for it.

Comment

I have been using TVersity.

Works great wit my PS3, DSM 520 Media Player, XBOX 360, and it is free.

I have also played with it on a smart phone and a PSP and streams well.

The new version now has remote access to grab your movies when you are on the go.

It does any transcoding on the fly if it recognizes the format can not be played by whatever is requesting the Media!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Timely thread for me, I just tried to repurpose an old box to a media center over the holidays. I got stymied when I discovered the old Celeron processor won't run the copy of Windows Media Center I bought for it. :(

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                I recommend anyone who ever wants to use a linux distro as a media center free from the typical malware assaults to try XBMC. Me and my 360 are very happy.
                This is exactly the setup i'm looking at now. Khan, can you recommend a linux distro?

Comment

Originally posted by Boot
                  This is exactly the setup i'm looking at now. Khan, can you recommend a linux distro?
                  How about.... http://en.ubuntumediacenter.org/ ?
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                    Only problem is that site hasn't been updated in 2 years, and there is no screenshots or downloads.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The primary reason why I gave up on Linux DVR software, is because of it's spotty driver support of all but a group of tuners. I had bought a Hauppauge PVR-150 for the task and I absolutely do not like it's quality.

I have an HVR-1600 for the Vista DVR, and I think I like it's quality even less. I'll be looking for a different, better, standard/HD tuner when I have the money.
                      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I have tried all the popular media center applications. I have had an HTPC for 6 years and have 3TBs of content. I have tried most of them the MCAs are they are very nice. The problem is flipping though a fancy GUI displaying 4 or 5 movies or albums at a time is just to time consuming. So I am stuck with the boring windows explorer. At least that way I can look at a 100 folders/movies at once. Does anyone have a better idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                          I have tried all the popular media center applications. I have had an HTPC for 6 years and have 3TBs of content. I have tried most of them the MCAs are they are very nice. The problem is flipping though a fancy GUI displaying 4 or 5 movies or albums at a time is just to time consuming. So I am stuck with the boring windows explorer. At least that way I can look at a 100 folders/movies at once. Does anyone have a better idea?
                          TVErsity has a great Tagging system that you can "TAG" each movie With Any Variable you wish...

Director, Genre, Date, Rating or anything you can think of...It also allows a Hierarchal Tagging system allowing Sub Tags....

The big problem is trying to Tag 3TB of stuff... It is eay to try and keep up as you add new media so you have a completely organized Media Center but trying to go back can be time consuming. They are working on something but to learn about TAGGING and the difference between tagging and folders you can visit their page...

http://tversity.com/support/tagging/

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Hey Shady, I was just reading up on TVErsity. Am I right that I could install that and then watch like movies and stuff I have on my PC, but watch them on my I phone remotely?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
                              The big problem is trying to Tag 3TB of stuff... It is eay to try and keep up as you add new media so you have a completely organized Media Center but trying to go back can be time consuming. They are working on something but to learn about TAGGING and the difference between tagging and folders you can visit their page...

http://tversity.com/support/tagging/
                              I've been using this http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm app for tagging mp3s. It imports info from amazon and I can rename files as well very quickly. There needs to be one like that for all video formats. I'm sure their working on that now. Tversity is very buggy and clunky for me. It's still in beta in my opinion. Are there any other kewl media database programs that you know of.

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              Hey Shady, I was just reading up on TVErsity. Am I right that I could install that and then watch like movies and stuff I have on my PC, but watch them on my I phone remotely?
                              I use Orb to stream movies, webcam, music and pics to my phone.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X