Evolution Story of the ATI and nVidia Latest GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution Story of the ATI and nVidia Latest GPUs

This link may have been already posted so my apologies if it repeats. If you haven't read the story and have an interest in how these GPUs evolved in the last few years both from a technical and marketing perspective it is a good read whether you believe it or not. :)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3469&p=1
    sigpic

Re: Evolution Story of the ATI and nVidia Latest GPUs

The thing worth mentioning however is that regardless of who makes the GPU, ATI, NVIDIA or Intel, you still need to rewrite your code to be data parallel. ATI believes that to write efficient parallel code requires a level of skill thatís an order of magnitude higher than what your typical programmer can do. If you can harness the power of a GPU however, you get access to a tremendous amount of power. You get ~1 TFLOP of performance for $170. If youíre a brilliant programmer, you know exactly what you should view as your next frontier...
    Something worth keeping in mind.

Interesting find Nagin. It was a good read and a good mention of Intel's next GPU. Hopefully it'll be able to compete with some of AMD's and nVidia's offerings.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Re: Evolution Story of the ATI and nVidia Latest GPUs

that was a pretty good writeup, in depth on what goes behind a gpu launch