Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build me a PC

Hello mates!

I'm thinking about selling my MacBook Pro (2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD)
    i guess i'll get around 1100$ for that.

So 1100$ is my budget for a new PC.

My requirements i really want is:

An ATi/AMD gfx card (i've heard so much bad about nVidia lately)
    and a Seagate HDD.

Now i don't know if i want a Phenom 2.6Ghz, or an i7, or a Quad Core...

Do some proposals! I usually buy from newegg.

Cheers!

Life's too short to live it fast.

Re: Build me a PC

Originally posted by creepin View Post
    Hello mates!

I'm thinking about selling my MacBook Pro (2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD)
    i guess i'll get around 1100$ for that.

So 1100$ is my budget for a new PC.

My requirements i really want is:

An ATi/AMD gfx card (i've heard so much bad about nVidia lately)
    and a Seagate HDD.

Now i don't know if i want a Phenom 2.6Ghz, or an i7, or a Quad Core...

Do some proposals! I usually buy from newegg.

Cheers!
    Depending on how big of a hard drive and high-end of a graphics card you want, i7 might be out of your budget.

Right now as it stands, if you want a i7, you'll splunk down $600 just for the CPU and Mobo. The triple-channel RAM is another $120 or so. So you're looking at least $700 for CPU, Mobo, and RAM.

Let me do a little wish listing to see what combos I can come up with...
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

1GB video ram (GDDR5), and around a 500GB hdd, but can also be smaller..

Comment

Here's what I came up with:

It'll be close to $1300 shipped. If you like the config, I'll have to double check if the RAM is compatible with that particular MSI X58 board.

Edit: I updated the list with a 1 GB HD4870.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well i don't need the OS, i have a spare, and another question, is it Crossfire Ready?
          And how much would the shipping be?

Comment

well i don't need the OS, i have a spare, and another question, is it Crossfire Ready?
            And how much would the shipping be?
            According to the official MSI website, that board is Crossfire Ready.

Shipping you'd have to find out yourself, since it varies depending on which part of the nation you're in. I guesstimate it to be at least $50.

Again, if you're interested in buying that list, let me know so I can double check if the RAM I picked will work.

Also, let some others here chime in their thoughts before you jump the gun and make the purchase.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

it wont be too easy to build a i7 with a 4870 1gb for under 1100, acreo's build is pretty good, but ill throw ASUS out for a mobo choice, i tad more, but the features and quality are second to none imho, i have had nothing but good out of every computer i have build, all of which had an ASUS motherboard. Antec is a great case and PSU choice as well, and ASUS has a 4870 1gb for 250, and it has a better cooler for that HOT card.

as for the ram, i have had a crucial stick bunk out on me after 2 months of use, it coulda been a fluke but its the only ram problem ive ever had. im not too familiar with ddr3 because i havent built a system with it, that ram doesnt have heatsinks.. does ddr3 run hotter than ddr2? would a low-ventilated system fate ram to an early demise?
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

well for gaming I would just get a P45 and an E8400/E8500 and forget i7 that is unless you are going to be doing some work that actually needs a quad core.

if its too expensive and you need a quad you can check out the Q9400 and a P45 board, which is crossfire ready, usually.

but do you honestly think you are going to get $1100 for a used laptop? personally I wouldn't think so but that might be just me.
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

that macbook pro is high in the course rite now, anyways,

and bout that gfx card, how's this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121291

And i want/need a quad (i7) mainly cuz i wanna be future proof for the next couple of years..

Comment

I'd stay away from an i7 for now if you're budget is gonna be $1100 and you're looking to "future-proof," your system as much as possible.

Is this solely for gaming, or do you do any video editting work, compiling of any sort, or encoding of a lot of raw video footage? If not, you're really not gonna need the latest and greatest platform. I just configured a great system for a friend of mine based around the Q6600, and feel pretty safe that it will comfortably last him two years.

If you're heartset on getting an i7 based system, wait till the new chips come out sometime next year (I believe Bamboo said something around summer-ish), there will be more options and it may be cheaper.

And reap, there's a good chance he'll get that for that notebook, apple products are hilariously overpriced. (My roommate wants a Mac Pro, and I was looking at it to see how much he was getting ripped off, and its downright hysterical).

Comment

Acreo's build is good but i'd go with SLI/nvidia instead for a couple reasons. Cuda, physx and most games are optimized for nvidia before ATI.

- -

Comment

that macbook pro is high in the course rite now, anyways,

and bout that gfx card, how's this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121291

And i want/need a quad (i7) mainly cuz i wanna be future proof for the next couple of years..
                        thats the one, i was too tired to link it =)

as for vulc and his physx and cuda refference, i dont see any proprietary technology hitting it big, ESPECIALLY in computers, if only 30% of the computer owning population are able to do something, there is not much incentive to program things to work with those technologies