Vista and GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and GPUs

So I got a 64-bit Vista computer with AMD quad-core, 7 GB RAM, and a GeForce 6150 SE graphics card. That's a 128MB card, but I opened the Display Settings and under Advanced it says the system shares 2GB with the card. If this is the case why am I still only able to smoothly run the game on all low or off settings at 800x600?

I can't check the system performance while in game because everytime I try to bring up the task manager the system takes me right back into the game.

Can anyone help me optimize the GPU settings so I can at least take somewhat of an advantage of this game's graphical engine?

Re: Vista and GPUs

Originally posted by LaezarFox View Post
    So I got a 64-bit Vista computer with AMD quad-core, 7 GB RAM, and a GeForce 6150 SE graphics card. That's a 128MB card, but I opened the Display Settings and under Advanced it says the system shares 2GB with the card. If this is the case why am I still only able to smoothly run the game on all low or off settings at 800x600?

I can't check the system performance while in game because everytime I try to bring up the task manager the system takes me right back into the game.

Can anyone help me optimize the GPU settings so I can at least take somewhat of an advantage of this game's graphical engine?
    That's because a GeForce 6150 SE is about as good as a old Radeon 9500/9600 (base model).

You really can't run BF2142 much higher than low settings with that integrated chipset (I highly doubt you have a separate card).

If you want to run at higher game quality and smoother, get a better graphics card, like a new nV 9600GT.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm not aware of any AMD boards that come with NVidia graphics any more (??) and that's a pretty weak video card, especially to put with a system that accepts a Phenom.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
        I'm not aware of any AMD boards that come with NVidia graphics any more (??) and that's a pretty weak video card, especially to put with a system that accepts a Phenom.
        Well in that case, still not sure why he has such a nice rig only to get a super crappy low-end video card (that's really meant for HTPCs and movie watching).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Well in that case, still not sure why he has such a nice rig only to get a super crappy low-end video card (that's really meant for HTPCs and movie watching).
          We need more info... Laezer, can you give us some basic information? Phenom of what speed? Do you know the model and brand of the motherboard? Is this a mainstream computer (Dell, etc) or a custom built one?
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

plenty of amd boards have nvidia integrated graphics, its not AMD who decides what goes on the board,
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138133
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135096
            a quick glance shows almost only nvidia on amd all in one boards
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Phenom quad core 2.3 ghz each, Nforce 430 w/ integrated GeForce 6150SE (I'm guessing, nForce is usually associated with motherboards) 7GB RAM. It's a HP Pavilion Elite, I think.

The thing is I went into the nVidia control panel or whatever, changed some things around including triple buffering the GPU and increased pre-rendered frames to 8 and now I'm running medium graphics.

I like to think I'm fairly computer savvy, I was just wondering if anyone experienced with the nVidia Control Panel could help me optimize it a little more.

And like I said, the system is allocating 2GB of shared RAM to the Vid card.

Comment

If it's onboard then yes you will be using system memory for your graphics. Luckily you have plenty.

Your problem however is not memory related. It's pipeline related. That video chipset doesn't really have much to speak of in that area. You should get yourself a PCI-E card which are very cheap now to get any better performance than what you've managed to squeeze out of it.

- -

Comment

In which case, I'm not sure what to tell you other than what you've managed to do. Some boards have the ability to manually set the on-board graphics chip core speed, and some boards with ATi on-board graphics have the ability to do what's called Hybrid Crossfire with compatible video cards. Which at the moment, are mostly low-end (I can't get on-board to boost my 4870, even though it doesn't need it)

So far as the memory is concerned, sure it's plenty of memory.... but aside from being short on the pipelines, the memory interface of the rest of the system is also much slower than the card. Utilizing 1033Mhz max with DDR-3, if that's what you have as the max a Phenom (I) supports, when the video card is doing double to triple that. It's also adding to the general load of the memory controller, sending a larger amount of data back and forth over the bus, etc.

But anyhow, enough with that. You asked for optimization tips and aside from what I mentioned above, and having the latest driver, it'll be up to anyone else to throw a tip in.

Comment

Phenom quad core 2.3 ghz each, Nforce 430 w/ integrated GeForce 6150SE (I'm guessing, nForce is usually associated with motherboards) 7GB RAM. It's a HP Pavilion Elite, I think.

The thing is I went into the nVidia control panel or whatever, changed some things around including triple buffering the GPU and increased pre-rendered frames to 8 and now I'm running medium graphics.

I like to think I'm fairly computer savvy, I was just wondering if anyone experienced with the nVidia Control Panel could help me optimize it a little more.

And like I said, the system is allocating 2GB of shared RAM to the Vid card.
                    First off, I'd lower frame buffering to bilinear (or double in your terms) instead of trilinear as your chipset is very weak and increasing it to trilinear means a higher quality at a framerate drop.

Secondly, pre-rendering frames should be set to 0, not 8. Again, this sucks up precious GPU power and also results in lowered framerates (it's counter productive).

Setting your shared memory with your GPU to 2 GB is actually overkill and won't help much.

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                    If it's onboard then yes you will be using system memory for your graphics. Luckily you have plenty.

Your problem however is not memory related. It's pipeline related. That video chipset doesn't really have much to speak of in that area. You should get yourself a PCI-E card which are very cheap now to get any better performance than what you've managed to squeeze out of it.
                    It's not only pipeline related, but core speed, lack of dedicated memory, vertex shaders, hardware T&L support, etc.

I think everyone's said it already: get a new graphics card. Preferrably something better than a nV 9500GT/ATI HD4830.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I fecking hate Radeon cards. Bastards are useless!

Comment

That is a pretty ignorant statement shycawn.

Also, although not me personally, people don't like to see that kind of language around here.

The HD4800 series cards are far from useless and generally offer bet performance per price than current nvidia cards.
                        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post

Also, although not me personally, people don't like to see that kind of language around here.

The HD4800 series cards are far from useless and generally offer bet performance per price than current nvidia cards.
                          I'd love to show him exactly how useless my 4870 is :)

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            First off, I'd lower frame buffering to bilinear (or double in your terms) instead of trilinear as your chipset is very weak and increasing it to trilinear means a higher quality at a framerate drop.

Secondly, pre-rendering frames should be set to 0, not 8. Again, this sucks up precious GPU power and also results in lowered framerates (it's counter productive).

Setting your shared memory with your GPU to 2 GB is actually overkill and won't help much.
                            A couple things, first I can't set the buffer to bilinear, it is a triple buffer setting that is either on or off and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this buffer relates to memory tranportation (I work best with analogies) where if there are triple buffers it gets memory while the GPU make calculations so that things run more efficiently.

2nd, how does lowering pre-rendered frames to 0 help? The help box is telling me pre-rendered frames are what the CPU computes before sending it to the GPU, this would seem to me to make things run smoother.

3rd, I can't set the shared memory with the GPU, it came set that way. It does have 128 dedicated. At least I haven't yet figured out how to choose how much RAM gets shared.

Thanks for all the input guys this is great.

Again, I'm not arguing with I just want to make sure there's no confusion and to see your logic more clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by shycawn View Post
                              I fecking hate Radeon cards. Bastards are useless!
                              Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post

Agreed Reaper. It was a solid card for its time. I loved my Radeon 9600XT. Outperformed most of nVidia's closest competitors for half the price. (Still have it too)

A couple things, first I can't set the buffer to bilinear, it is a triple buffer setting that is either on or off and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this buffer relates to memory tranportation (I work best with analogies) where if there are triple buffers it gets memory while the GPU make calculations so that things run more efficiently.

2nd, how does lowering pre-rendered frames to 0 help? The help box is telling me pre-rendered frames are what the CPU computes before sending it to the GPU, this would seem to me to make things run smoother.

3rd, I can't set the shared memory with the GPU, it came set that way. It does have 128 dedicated. At least I haven't yet figured out how to choose how much RAM gets shared.

Thanks for all the input guys this is great.

Again, I'm not arguing with I just want to make sure there's no confusion and to see your logic more clearly.
                              Then, probably turn off triple buffering. Right now as it stands, your CPU is doing most of the work anyways (probably even handles the T&L too).

As for pre-rendered frames, it's from experience. It lowers the load on the CPU. But whatever, try it as you like. You're not going to get good performance out of old hardware.

As for shared memory, then it's probably a minimum and maximum setting. You might be able to adjust the video memory buffer in BIOS. Sometimes you can't (like is the case with current line of Intel Integrated Graphics (dynamically managed buffer)).

Lastly, no more point in discussing this. Get a more powerful graphics card. Then you can play 2142 at whatever settings you like.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X