GTX 285 and 295...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 285 and 295...

Dual chip version of the 280 (295) has some news as well as the 55nm revision of the 280 (285)

http://vr-zone.com/articles/geforce-....html?doc=6259
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/geforce-....html?doc=6264

why must nvidia kill us with their naming -_-

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Re: GTX 285 and 295...

Dual PCBs again. My interest has dropped significantly.
    sigpic

Comment

Nvidia is really trying to catch up, but that's one ugly design... and smashed together like that?

It makes me happy that I bet on the other team's horse this time (ATi) :)
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

the reason they do the dual pcb is because their gtx chip is huge, over 4x as big as the 4870 chip, a fraction smaller than 1 inch by 1 inch, where as you can put 4 4870 chips in a square and it will still be inside the area the gtx chip fits in, add in the slightly bigger memory modules, and the fact that nvidia isnt as efficient as ATI, architectually and your trying to fit a quart into a pint jar... ati should respond with the..... 4870x2x2 FOUR ON ONE =D
        also, being a 896 bit memory interface(448x2) (nvidia went a bigger bitrate to get the bandwidth needed compared to ATI who used faster ram gddr5) there needs to be more paths on the board data to travel at that bitrate, adding to the size..

or... you can just take 2 gtx 280s, flip one so they are face to face.. the coolers are, mod an sli bridge to connect em both, and mod a pcie riser to have a u or j shape to it... thats all THEY did......basically just mirror engineer the pcb, but share the heat sink and pcie slot

at least their running out of numbers for this gen....
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
          the reason they do the dual pcb is because their gtx chip is huge, over 4x as big as the 4870 chip, a fraction smaller than 1 inch by 1 inch, where as you can put 4 4870 chips in a square and it will still be inside the area the gtx chip fits in, add in the slightly bigger memory modules, and the fact that nvidia isnt as efficient as ATI, architectually and your trying to fit a quart into a pint jar... ati should respond with the..... 4870x2x2 FOUR ON ONE =D
          also, being a 896 bit memory interface(448x2) (nvidia went a bigger bitrate to get the bandwidth needed compared to ATI who used faster ram gddr5) there needs to be more paths on the board data to travel at that bitrate, adding to the size..

or... you can just take 2 gtx 280s, flip one so they are face to face.. the coolers are, mod an sli bridge to connect em both, and mod a pcie riser to have a u or j shape to it... thats all THEY did......basically just mirror engineer the pcb, but share the heat sink and pcie slot

at least their running out of numbers for this gen....
          Yes, I can definitely understand all of that. It just seems like maybe they tried too hard?
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Ugh, not another GX2. Geez, would AMD/nVidia quit benching out dual GPU based cards hoping that gamers will fall into the pool and think they'll get superior gaming performance?

Seriously, we don't need to continue these full-length card behemoths. One would think it died out with the 3DFX Voodoo line.

I remember them days. Still got my Voodoo 2 to prove it.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

yi i seriously hope they bomb on these cards, they are gonna lose their asses ''pricing comparible to 4870x2'', since the 280 is more than the x2 already... why not double everything but the cooler.... cause that will cost less... /sarcasm