Fusion-io's ioDrive tested: world's fastest storage confirmed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion-io's ioDrive tested: world's fastest storage confirmed

Ok, when you read this article, try to cover your eyes and peak through your fingers so you don't accidentally read the price :row__523:

Tweaktown got an exclusive look at the PCIe storage card and came away mightily impressed by its "near nonexistent latency." It's faster than the best SATA II SSD or fastest 15,000RPM drive loaded in an 8 drive RAID config. Put simply, it's the fastest storage device they've ever tested. Tweaktown was so impressed that they proclaim, "Fusion-io has raised the bar so high that once adopted, traditional solutions will be considered legacy products."

Man, I can't wait for prices to fall on those!!! Forget about the SSD drives we have been talking about :icon19:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Fusion-io's ioDrive tested: world's fastest storage confirmed

ACK!!! I saw the price :icon_eek:

Hopefully their "consumer" line will be considerably less expensive.
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

It looks like it has a PCIe x4 slot size.

I see an x16 and an x1 on my mobo. Houston, we have a problem :)
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        Ok, when you read this article, try to cover your eyes and peak through your fingers so you don't accidentally read the price :row__523:

Man, I can't wait for prices to fall on those!!! Forget about the SSD drives we have been talking about :icon19:

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
        It looks like it has a PCIe x4 slot size.

I see an x16 and an x1 on my mobo. Houston, we have a problem :)
        Roger that.

Why are they using the PCI-E x4 bus? Few motherboards have those. Also PCI-E buses are limited even on a full-size ATX motherboard (we still need room for those old PCI slots).

I see where they got their idea from (thought of this myself before): NAND Flash memory (looks to be those new Samsung chips Samsung has been raving about) + a speedy bus.

One big downside: probably no external version anytime soon. Also I'd have to turn off my system (for safety concerns), open up my case, and remove/swap the storage card.

Not as nice as hot swappable HDD drive bays or external HDDs. They've got a long way to go to make this product sellable in the consumer market.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          They've got a long way to go to make this product sellable in the consumer market.
          I don't think that's their main focus right now, though. I believe this is geared toward servers that require blazing speed. But it will be nice when they come out with a consumer version geared toward folks like us, though. I'd say we'll see it within 2-3 years.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
            I don't think that's their main focus right now, though. I believe this is geared toward servers that require blazing speed. But it will be nice when they come out with a consumer version geared toward folks like us, though. I'd say we'll see it within 2-3 years.
            It's not their focus now, but at some point they'll dive into the consumer market.

As it stands, I can think of one company that might lob a few hundred grand at Fusion for their product: ThePlanet. Can't think of anyone else.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well for $3,000 I'll stick with my WD640
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

ya but 80 gig SSDs were 4500 when they first came out 6 months ago... they can be had for about 200 now... give it a year, and this tech will be under 400