Shinobi II : Tactical Gaming PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinobi II : Tactical Gaming PC

Getting ready to order the parts to replace my rig with a new project. Here are the specs.
    • AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Black Edition (OC to 3.2GHz)
    • SilenX IXC-120HA2 120mm FDB, fluid dynamic bearings CPU Cooler + Secondary Fan
    • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
    • OCZ Platinum Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory
    • Patriot PE64GS25SSDR 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk
    • SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
    • TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
    • Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe
    • Antec Twelve Hundred Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    • Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
    • (6) SilenX IXP-74-11 120mm Case Fans Upgrade
    • (4) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB Hard Drives (RAID 10)
    • Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support 400 cd/m2 3000:1 ACM

Total Cost:$2695.17

Any Thoughts, Suggestions?

sigpic

Re: Shinobi II : Tactical Gaming PC

That looks like it could fly to Mars! That is one monster of a machine! Enjoy!
    Two questions: Only one optical drive?
    (4) 1 TB harddrives!? What do you need that much for?

Comment

Well I am a web developer by trade and I am impatient, with the drives running in RAID 10 its really only 2TB but its all backed up safe and sound without sacrificing speed.

As for the optical drive, do you ever use more than one? Besides if I got any more then I would need a RAID card for the drives (Only 6 SATA 3GB/s on Motherboard, so the SSD, 4 TB Drives, and the Optical)

I figure this box will last me 5 years before it gets re purposed as a media server for the house.
      Last edited by OldCode101; 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM. Reason: forgot to answer all questions

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OldCode101 View Post
        Well I am a web developer by trade and I am impatient, with the drives running in RAID 10 its really only 2TB but its all backed up safe and sound without sacrificing speed.

As for the optical drive, do you ever use more than one? Besides if I got any more then I would need a RAID card for the drives (Only 6 SATA 3GB/s on Motherboard, so the SSD, 4 TB Drives, and the Optical)

I figure this box will last me 5 years before it gets re purposed as a media server for the house.
        I'm not sure what sort of web development you do, but most software developers don't need a few terabytes of storage (even I don't).

I don't see a fan controller in your set up. Planning on adding one to help reduce the fan noise from the 6+ fans in your rig?

I see a SSD amongst the 2 TB RAIDed drives, I presume this will be the Windows only drive?

The optical drive is more of personal preference, I think. Personally I've always built with two drives. One for reading and copying from. The other serves mainly as a backup and as a quick CD/DVD burner.

With rigs like this, usually it's a good idea to invest in a good UPS backup unit. It'll help protect your investment against power surges, power grid failures, etc.

(Wish Eroak was here to suggest one since I don't know enough about UPS units.)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          I'm not sure what sort of web development you do, but most software developers don't need a few terabytes of storage (even I don't).
          Well right now I am working on a Framework/CMS project that could potentially take some space. Besides with the cost of drives, why not?

I don't see a fan controller in your set up. Planning on adding one to help reduce the fan noise from the 6+ fans in your rig?
          The Upgraded Fans are rated at 11db Moving 46CFM. I planned to use ASUS's onboard thermal controls to manage the fans. Their software will allow me to write a few profiles to load on the fly to manage my heat.

I see a SSD amongst the 2 TB RAIDed drives, I presume this will be the Windows only drive?
          Yea Operating System Hard Drive. With its speed I dont have to worry about the OS getting in the way and by keeping everything on the RAID if I lose the drive It will be less of a pain in the ass to replace.

The optical drive is more of personal preference, I think. Personally I've always built with two drives. One for reading and copying from. The other serves mainly as a backup and as a quick CD/DVD burner.

With rigs like this, usually it's a good idea to invest in a good UPS backup unit. It'll help protect your investment against power surges, power grid failures, etc.
          (Wish Eroak was here to suggest one since I don't know enough about UPS units.)
          Normally I would agree with you, If I lose power I'm not too concerned. If it surges and fries I have insurance. I think I can get by this round with a decent surge protector

sigpic

Comment

asus motherboards have a great fan controller that can be accessed through the OS via a gui, its slick... as for your choice of raid, why not go raid 5? half the overhead of 1/0, you will get 3TB give or take...