Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help...

Hey guys!!!

Well it is coming to that time of year when I usually upgrade one part of a my computer. But this year, my processor is the one to go. I just recently upgraded my video card to a Nvidia 9800GTX+.

I currently have a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz processor with Hyper Threading. I want to upgrade to a dual-core, or even a quad-core if its possible. I have been researching what I currently have and I have found out that it is an Intel 955X Express Chipset. I know it has a LGA775 socket type and the FSB is 1066mhz.

I have desperately been trying to find out if the dual cores are compatible but that has been fruitless so far. Do you guys have any idea about this stuff? Because processors is an area that I have not delved deeply into.
    Created by Sonic

Re: Need a little help...

Have a model of the motherboard? Usually you can pop the model into the manufacturer's website and get a supported processor list. All I can tell you is that the chipset itself is supposed to be able to support dc processors.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I can't say for 100% but I'm betting you are going to need a new mobo to be able to use C2D an up. That is an old chipset.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

The chipset was built to support the old 1066 65nm c2d's, but without the motherboard I can't say for certain.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Oh, I know there is a program that is free to download that will tell you what the MB is but ATM my mind has slipped away.

Everest? Does that sound right to the rest of you?

Comment

I forgot to mention that my computer was from Dell, so the motherboard was not recognized by the ID Utility given by Intel.
            Created by Sonic

Comment

According to the Intel specifications sheet on the 955X chipset, Core 2 Duo CPUs are not supported.

That's the short answer, this is the long answer:

Unfortunately, as it is usually the case with Dell machines, they use a custom board version based on a chipset (like the 955X). As Dell doesn't readily announce or make it easy to find BIOS revisions, we don't know if your motherboard can support a C2D with a simple flash to the latest BIOS (if there is a later one than what you have now).

My advice: save up your money and build a new rig, then transfer your 9800GTX+ over and get a cheap replacement card for the old Dell.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Dang, well hopefully I can last 4 more years.... That is the time needed till I finish Pharmacy school and can afford to build a new comp.
                Created by Sonic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X