Buying a gaming laptop.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a gaming laptop.

I've been shopping around. Dell looks like the best option but would cost me a pretty penny. HP configurations are quite a bit cheaper (and are quad core...).

I want to go quad core, 64-bit, with as much graphical power as possible without breaking 2000 dollars.

From HP:
    Operating system Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Processor QX9300 (2.53Hz)
    Display 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
    Memory 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    2,600 bucks. Dell easily goes a thousand more...

Acer:
    Acer Aspire AS8930-6448 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9400(2.53GHz) 18.4' Wide UXGA 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT
    1500 bucks...

Needless to say, I've never bought a laptop - I've always used a tower. I don't need it to be lightweight, portable, etc. It'll be in my dorm room.

Games I'd be playing:
    TF2, Company of Heroes, L4D, and Project Reality.

The reason I'm asking for help is because there are so many different brands and deals on various websites.
    Last edited by Skud; 12-14-2008, 05:24 PM.
    Skud

Re: Buying a gaming laptop.

4core laptop ftw...

I like Dell, but for 1000, I would go HP...
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I'm going to suggest the Acer (it's only $1500). Have you tried talking with a Acer rep directly to see if they'll offer a quad-core on their gaming notebooks?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Apple MacBook Pro FTW!
        i have one and am very happy, the new ones are even better! and the best: They still sell for the same money 2 years after you bought it :D

also this is worth checking out:
        Quad Core + CrossFire/SLI notebook FTW!

http://www.alienware.com/products/no...omputers.aspx#

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Those alienware ones look pretty good, and price isn't a deal breaker like it usually is with alienware.

Comment

Originally posted by creepin View Post
            also this is worth checking out:
            Quad Core + CrossFire/SLI notebook FTW!

http://www.alienware.com/products/no...omputers.aspx#
            The quad-core CPU costs an extra $850 on the M17 (M17 Customization).

That brings the overall price to $2,249 before shipping and taxes. That is over his $2000 budget and is evident of the expensive nature of Alienware (which is owned by Dell).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Scoff, Alienware.

Acer is looking champ right now...
              Skud

Comment

I'm looking at the full specs on the Acer Aspire 8930G...

It probably has one of the best nVidia notebook chipsets out there for a great price. Although they don't offer a C2Q upgrade option, it looks to be a very fast notebook (note the inclusion of DDR2 1066 memory). I love the big 18.9" screen and the black exterior and interior.

Add a pair of red horns to the top of the screen and you can scare away your roommate's notebook. :p
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

there is a thread almost a year back on how main brands buy their laptops from other companys(clevo, sager, asus.. just to name a few)..... these are those other companys =D... prices are normally much better, and new technology is out on these a good 2 months before they are on dells site

https://secure.pctorque.com/system-c...x?SystemsID=32 hardcore gaming laptop
                  3800 decked out with:
                  9800gtx SLI (2 of em)
                  Q9650 quad 3.0ghz
                  4gb ram (can go 8 but 6.8 is recognized due to chipset limitation)
                  2x250gb in raid 0 500gb
                  blu ray
                  1920x1200
                  vista home premium 64bit

sager laptop using clevo DC900 or D900C, whatever.... if you are going big on a laptop, this is the way to go, it does not include an OS in the base price, but you can add it during the build process..

medium pimpin: https://secure.pctorque.com/system-c...x?SystemsID=49
                  9800 GTX!!!
                  2100 with a 2.26 dual
                  3200 with a 2.53 quad and 1920x1200 and 64bit vista home premium

or you can max out a 9800gts based system for just over 1700 including OS...
                  https://secure.pctorque.com/system-c...x?SystemsID=38

2.5 dual core
                  4gb ram
                  1920x1200
                  4gb of intel super speed vista something... it makes the system faster, page file on a 4gb flash hard drive basically. called turbo cache

aside from dual core, its just as good as that hp, but with a much better card
                  powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                    4gb of intel super speed vista something... it makes the system faster, page file on a 4gb flash hard drive basically. called turbo cache

aside from dual core, its just as good as that hp, but with a much better card
                    Just a note: that hard drive will be much more expensive if you need to replace it. I think I've only seen one or two thus far. They are basically traditional platter hard disks but there is some NAND flash memory on board that is used as a buffer to help speed up start up and going into/coming out of standby.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm going to point out the elephant in the room... why buy a gaming laptop if you don't need it to be portable or light?

For less coin you can have a better or compareble PC setup.

If you do need some portability you could look into a LAN type case or more of a micro case that would be portable. If you go with wireless key board and mouse it would cut down on cables.

I realise this isn't probably going to sway your opinion but from my perspective it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the money spent.

Comment

gaming laptops are nice, way better than a lan case if you do move around sometimes... i like gaming laptops because instead of taking keyboard.. mouse...monitor...all the cords...and the lan case.... that would take up the whole back seat of a car, you can throw a laptop, power cord, and maybe a mouse, all in one laptop bag, and that is small enough to be a carry-on on a plane. i take my gaming on the go alot... weather it be one night at a friends, or a weekend at the parents... or the upcomming month off for winter break, where i will be at the parents... away from my computer the whole time... gaming laptops have great perks, price usually isnt one of them tho