Graphics card info help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card info help.

I need some help understanding graphics cards a little better. I have only been into computers for about a year now so Im not sure of everything yet.

Here is the scenario.

We have the following two cards. All unmentioned specs are identical. Unit prices are also within $10 of each other.

ZOTAC ZT-95TES2P-HSL
    • 550MHz Core Clock
    • 512MB GDDR3 Memory

Galaxy 95TGE8HUFEXX
    • 500MHz Core Clock
    • 1GB GDDR2 Memory

I was looking a new graphics card and stumbled across these two. Thinking numerically, the 1024MB card would be better than 512MB card. But looking at the memory type, this made me think that there must be something else to cause these two cards to be about the same price.

After doing some inconclusive research, this is what I am guessing.

GDDR3 has the ability to completely wipe its memory and start over, which GDDR2 does not. Because the ZOTAC card has that ability, it doesnt need as much memory to do the same amount of things. The lower memory and the GDDR3 ability would also explain the extra 50MHz so it can reprocess faster what it might have already dumped that the 1GB would have still have stored.

How close am I?

Even so, which card is better? If my logic is correct, then there is virtually no difference other than the price.

Re: Graphics card info help.

Found them on newegg and the Galaxy version is $30 more...
    ZOTAC Galaxy
    ZOTAC product page Galaxy card product page can be found here

From what i can see these cards aren't for demanding games or anything, what will you be using the graphics card for? Also, the ZOTAC card is passively cooled (no fan) while the Galaxy card uses a fan to cool the GPU and possibly the memory which could be good if you plan to overclock. The ZOTAC card would really restrict you in terms of overclocking.
    According to newegg the ZOTAC comes with a lot more adapters and such too: HDTV Cable, DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter, DVI to HDMI Adapter, S/PDIF Cable.
    The Galaxy only comes with these: DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter, S-Video Cable.
    If you want to use this card with an HD TV I would suggest going with the ZOTAC card as it comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter (although I am unsure if it will carry sound through as well, will have to research that).

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

thanks for asking a question and wanting to learn more its always great to expand your knowledge.

I believe that in all reality the 512MB card is better off and for two reasons: GDDR3 is better than GDDR2 and the higher core clock.

there are very few cards and games that can actually use a fully gig of video memory but slow memory is worse than not enough.

higher core clock means that the card works faster and you can usually get good returns for each MHz you go up.

the 9500GT is not much of a gaming card though (even though I bet it is an upgrade for some people). It can run newer games a low resolution and low detail decently and will probably do ok with some older titles.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
        Found them on newegg and the Galaxy version is $30 more...
        ZOTAC Galaxy
        ZOTAC product page Galaxy card product page can be found here
        You're pulling the Galaxy link from newegg.ca (Canada), so that would explain such difference in price.

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        the 9500GT is not much of a gaming card though (even though I bet it is an upgrade for some people). It can run newer games a low resolution and low detail decently and will probably do ok with some older titles.
        The 9500GT is definitely an upgrade for me. Im currently using a 7600GT. :/

What would anyone suggest I get. Due to my having PCIe and not PCIe 2.0, Im really limited on the market as far as good gaming cards.

Comment

You can still definitely run PCIe 2.0 cards on the older interface, there's really no drawback you'd see for most cards. I believe the current top of the line, when put into dual-GPU applications, near or exceed the bandwidth available for PCIe 1.x.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
            You can still definitely run PCIe 2.0 cards on the older interface, there's really no drawback you'd see for most cards. I believe the current top of the line, when put into dual-GPU applications, near or exceed the bandwidth available for PCIe 1.x.
            There are only a few cards (the top ones in ATI/nVidia line ups, like the HD4870X2) that exceed the bandwidth capacity of the PCI-E 1.1 specification (thus performs better with a 2.0 slot).

Here's the Galaxy 9800GTX+ he mentioned on NewEgg (US).

I would go for the 9800GTX+ instead of the 9500GT for the following reasons:
            1. 256-bit memory bandwidth (much higher than the 128-bit on the 9500GT)
            2. Higher core clock and memory clock speeds
            3. More stream processors (and more vertex shaders and pixel pipelines)
            4. Can play DX10 games more fulfillingly than a 9500GT can

Overall, you'll get higher framerates in most games even at higher resolutions and detail qualities than you would on the 9500GT.

You should double-check to see if your current PSU can handle the added load though before you purchase the card.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The 9500GT is only marginally better than a 7600gt. I suspect you would be disappointed in it as a upgrade.

Check the chart at the bottom of this page:
              http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...cs,2086-7.html

You can see that the 9500gt(DDR3) version is only a slight step up from a 7600gt.

If you can act quickly(and deal with rebates) this is a pretty card for the same price you were looking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125244
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Buy a 3870...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102719

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement