Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Mini 12 Netbook -- now with Ubuntu

Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Netbook

This netbook seems to span the netbook / laptop gap. It's a 12" (1280x800) laptop using the ATOM processor. It's under 3 lbs and with the 6-cell battery gets over 5 hours of life. The HD isn't all that great and it only hold 1 GB RAM but it sure seems like a good netbook with Ubuntu.

Anyone familiar with this netbook or how it compares to others?

I'm looking for something lightweight and portable simply to use for browsing, email and light tasks.

Edit: Forgot to add that the specs listed say 3-cell battery but if you configure it the only option is a 6-cell for no cost.
    Last edited by asch; 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM. Reason: corrected resolution
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Dell Mini 12 Netbook -- now with Ubuntu

Did you want Ubuntu or did you want XP?

How important is bluetooth in netbook for you?

Is the 12" screen a must or would you be willing to go with a smaller screen?

Going off of my own experience with my AAO, the mini 12 is basically the same thing except it has:
    - Bluetooth built-in
    - 12" screen versus a 8.9" screen
    - slightly higher resolution (800 px vertical instead of 600 px vertical)
    - a full-sized keyboard rather than 85% of full-size
    - $200+ higher price tag than a Linux 6-cell AAO
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      Did you want Ubuntu or did you want XP?
      I have wanted to work on Ubuntu but it's not important. I also figured Ubuntu would run better on a netbook than Windows.

How important is bluetooth in netbook for you?
      I have yet to use bluetooth on a laptop yet. I guess if I wanted a wireless mouse it would be nice, but bluetooth isn't critical unless there's another reason for it.

Is the 12" screen a must or would you be willing to go with a smaller screen?
      Screen and keyboard size is important. I want at least a 10" minimum. I'm also not too keen on the 600 width of the other screens. I don't want to get into side scrolling very much.

Going off of my own experience with my AAO, the mini 12 is basically the same thing except it has:
      - Bluetooth built-in
      - 12" screen versus a 8.9" screen
      - slightly higher resolution (800 px vertical instead of 600 px vertical)
      - a full-sized keyboard rather than 85% of full-size
      - $200+ higher price tag than a Linux 6-cell AAO
      I realize I'm paying for the larger screen and I'm ok with that.

I'm teetering on paying a little more for a more powerful (but small) laptop but then I'm getting into a heavier device. My biggest worry is the 1 GB RAM maximum. Can't upgrade that.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Since Microsoft is trying to force a limit of 1 GB on all netbooks, the market current doesn't offer anything beyond the ASUS N10 (2 GB of RAM, 9300M GS chipset).

There's a switch on the left side that allows the user to switch between the 945G graphics chipset and the dedicated 9300M GS graphics chipset (requires a reboot), which will allow you to save more power when you don't need higher end graphics.

There is a new MSI Wind and a new Lenovo Ideapad rumored to be releasing with 2 GB of RAM (still 600 px height), but so far I haven't seen it anywhere for sale.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Since Microsoft is trying to force a limit of 1 GB on all netbooks, the market current doesn't offer anything beyond the ASUS N10 (2 GB of RAM, 9300M GS chipset).
          How can Microsoft force a Limit on RAM in laptops..? In Fact you would think they would want MORE ram in there to allow XP and such to run well.. limiting to 1 gig is like telling the Users to stick to a Linux derivative..
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
            How can Microsoft force a Limit on RAM in laptops..? In Fact you would think they would want MORE ram in there to allow XP and such to run well.. limiting to 1 gig is like telling the Users to stick to a Linux derivative..
            They can't force it. I'm saying their trying to enforce a limit on netbooks (specifically those running XP) by trying to get netbook companies to limit RAM installed to 1 GB. They're afraid people will try to install Vista, the complain about the sluggishness, and then start a whole new slew of Vista-bashing.

I don't agree with what MS is doing, but I understand their reasoning. Besides, I wouldn't install Vista on a netbook unless it had the new Atom 330 (dual-core) CPU and at least 2 GB of RAM.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X