Raid help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid help

I installed a raid this week with 2 500 gb drives in raid 0 configuration. I am now looking for ways to keep it opimtized and defragmented without causing harm to the array. This is a hardware raid.

I also want to run a backup any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Vista 64 ultimate.
    p.s. this is used for games, small applications and some light audio/video converting.

- -

Re: Raid help

Vulcan, I use ccleaner and auslogics disk defrag to keep my raid running clean and sharp but I have my OS on a third drive. I also use cleanmypc for registry defrag as its set up for 64 bit systems. I've had it running now for 1 1/2 years without incident.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

thanks bronco that's a nifty program, I think i'll use parts of it.

I've got perfect disk but I've heard that defragging on a raid can be very dangerous and i'm looking for more info on that.

Also is there any program that can check my drives while in the raid for health? I have the intel matrix storage manager running but it doesn't check hard drive health.

- -

Comment

i havent heard defragging a raid as dangerous, i have been running a raid 0 for well over 2 years and it works fine, i have it auto-defrag weekly with ultimate defrag
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

auslogistics or tune up utilities will do great on raid hardwares...
          and i havent experience also crashing raid by defragmenting it...
          If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

ok cool, it's not really clarified on the net that well. Some have said trying to do some types of defrag has caused their files to have errors but i guess the depends on the raid type too.

Thanks guys.

- -

Comment

I'm not sure how useful this is, but I have used the standard Windows defrag without an issue, running once per week for a few months now.

So far as backup is concerned, I DID use the Windows backup and do the Complete Backup. I crashed (doing something foolish), reloaded Vista, and then ran the recovery off that backup. Which ran very successfully. I used to use the realtime backup software that came with my Seagate FreeAgent, but it actually really annoyed me despite working almost perfectly to restore everything to how it was (One Click Restore to my previous XP build)
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                ok cool, it's not really clarified on the net that well. Some have said trying to do some types of defrag has caused their files to have errors but i guess the depends on the raid type too.

Thanks guys.
                This also depends on the PC, overall specs, and system utilization during the defrag process.

Most RAID controllers on home PC's are actually "fakeRAID". IE: There is no XOR processor at all on the controller. All of the calculations done to manage the RAID set is done by the computer's CPU rather than a dedicated processor.

I *HAVE* seen machines running stuff like SETI that keeps the processor pegged at 100% have defrag issues with fakeRAID controllers when the operator is also doing other stuff. IE: Don't run SETI, play BF2 and defrag your drive at the same time. :)
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have come to really like the vista ultimate complete backup, really very nice.

I have found the defrag I've always wanted. This program is a dream.

http://www.goldenbow.com/

Try it out, it's fabulous.

Apo, That's probably true for this one. I'm using a p5q with an e8400. The onboard raid controller is the intel matrix storage manager and I dunno if it has a dedicated cpu for it but most likely not. Either way I typically try not to interrupt any maintenance programs and just let them run.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                    I have come to really like the vista ultimate complete backup, really very nice.

I have found the defrag I've always wanted. This program is a dream.

http://www.goldenbow.com/

Try it out, it's fabulous.
                    I downloaded it and am trying it right now. So far, (not that I'm necessarily THAT surprised) it found a lot of things the Windows defrag failed to notice, including a number of errors...
                    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Does anyone know how the drive map works with a raid 0? I'm wondering if the drive map displays the 2 drives in succession so the front of the second drive would be in the middle of the drive map on a defrag.

I'll be googling for more info too.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...