No announcement yet.

ooma Core VoIP Phone System? Opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ooma Core VoIP Phone System? Opinions?

Hi Folks.. Long time home VOIP user here..first VONAGE then Voip.com.. but the price has jacked up to the $28/29 a month with fees and taxes and such.. Has anyone tried OOMA? The reviews on Amazon look great..but I am wondering if it is worth the outlay of cash to gamble they will be around in a year (that would recoup + my regular VOIP bills)

http://www.amazon.com/ooma-Phone-Sys...9772078&sr=1-1

Thanks
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: ooma Core VoIP Phone System? Opinions?

What cell provider you use (if any) peardog? It's not directly reported to your post but we have T-Mobile and have cell phones that support VOIP and GSM calls so we ditched our home phone and added family VOIP coverage for $9.99/month for all 3 of our cell phones. Unlimited VOIP minutes and it's all in the same phone.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
      What cell provider you use (if any) peardog? It's not directly reported to your post but we have T-Mobile and have cell phones that support VOIP and GSM calls so we ditched our home phone and added family VOIP coverage for $9.99/month for all 3 of our cell phones. Unlimited VOIP minutes and it's all in the same phone.
      Wait a second...I also have T-Mobile...when did they add VoIP service?

Okay, that Amazon video left me with more questions than answers. The following questions are the ones that come to mind and I'm sure you guys are asking the same thing:

1) Does it allow me to place and receive two separate calls on one phone line or would I need two phone lines still?

2) We have 4 phones in the house. One corded, one cordless in the computer room, another corded in the basement, and another cordless base station in the living room with 3 additional handsets in each of our bedrooms (one for each of us kids). Would we need a Scout for each of our four phones then?

3) I see it requires a minimum of 256 kbps upstream bandwidth. How much does OOMA affect online gaming latency on a DSL line (like my 3 mbps/384 kbps)?

My parents spend about $300-400 a year on our landline (not including what we pay for DSL). The package (linked to) includes one homebase and one Scout. An extra Scout costs $65. We have about 3 phones through out the house, so that would mean a combined cost of: $415 + $40 (to transfer our landline phone number over) + $100/year (for premier service so we can keep our landline phone number and make a 2nd simultaneous call) = $555 initial year and $100 per year thereafter.

Looks like it'll take 2 years before we recoup our initial expenditure of $555.

Peardog, how long have you been using VoIP?

How reliable is it? Frequency of dropped calls?
      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 12-21-2008, 04:03 AM.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Wait a second...I also have T-Mobile...when did they add VoIP service?
        Hotspot @ Home, it's been around for a year or so. Not to be confused with T-Mobile @ Home which is similar to Vonage in that you get a special router and use regular phones.

Hotspot @ Home is totally different as we have cell phones that support UMA/WiFi. Our specific phones are Nokia 6301s and we love them. We don't want to pay additional for data plans at the moment but the recent T-Mobile BlackBerry offerings support UMA as well.

Basically, any wireless network you can connect to (including secured networks if you have the key, which is how our home network is configured) that has IPSec enabled, your calls route through it instead of the GSM network. We get awesome reception in the house now since it's using our network. When we signed up it was $9.99/month to add to our existing Family Time 1000 plan and it's unlimited minutes.

Comment

Hotspot @ Home, it's been around for a year or so. Not to be confused with T-Mobile @ Home which is similar to Vonage in that you get a special router and use regular phones.

Hotspot @ Home is totally different as we have cell phones that support UMA/WiFi. Our specific phones are Nokia 6301s and we love them. We don't want to pay additional for data plans at the moment but the recent T-Mobile BlackBerry offerings support UMA as well.

Basically, any wireless network you can connect to (including secured networks if you have the key, which is how our home network is configured) that has IPSec enabled, your calls route through it instead of the GSM network. We get awesome reception in the house now since it's using our network. When we signed up it was $9.99/month to add to our existing Family Time 1000 plan and it's unlimited minutes.
          So it's $9.99 for all the lines in a family plan? Or is it $9.99 per line in a family plan?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

At least when we signed up a few months ago, it was $9.99 for all lines on the account, so I would assume up to the max of 5 lines on the plan.

We only have 3 lines at the moment and I know we are only paying $9.99 period. It's quite a good deal for the price. Our 2 years was coming due any way so we just made sure we got phones that support UMA when we upgraded.

It's really a good 'fail safe' for us. We ditched our land line when we got the UMA phones. We have a killer family plan that is 1,000 minutes for $49.99 and with no land line I wanted to make sure we didn't go over on minutes. For $9.99 a month it's no longer a worry. I think last month we used just at 100 of our 1,000 minutes, everything else was mobile-to-mobile or UMA so it didn't count toward our minutes.

Comment

Part of the reason why I am getting a T-Mobile phone in the next week or two.

It's essentially VoIP with cell service.

I read the comments on the Ooma service, and also did a little research on it, and I agree... the business model doesn't seem like it can easily sustain itself. not when you still have to go through the local interchanges to get to land line numbers especially. Think: Skype calls to land lines are something you have to purchase minutes for.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

At least when we signed up a few months ago, it was $9.99 for all lines on the account, so I would assume up to the max of 5 lines on the plan.

We only have 3 lines at the moment and I know we are only paying $9.99 period. It's quite a good deal for the price. Our 2 years was coming due any way so we just made sure we got phones that support UMA when we upgraded.

It's really a good 'fail safe' for us. We ditched our land line when we got the UMA phones. We have a killer family plan that is 1,000 minutes for $49.99 and with no land line I wanted to make sure we didn't go over on minutes. For $9.99 a month it's no longer a worry. I think last month we used just at 100 of our 1,000 minutes, everything else was mobile-to-mobile or UMA so it didn't count toward our minutes.
                Hmm, I might look into that once all the cell phones in the family support UMA. My brother is probably the only one in the house that has a UMA capable phone (he has the "Sage").
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Grrr! thread Hijacker!! ;-)
                  ..Just kidding..but I have Verizon... and they do offer a Voice line with Unlimited 911 calls for $24.00 plus tax.. SweeT!..

I would do the Tmobile deal but our coverage is junk for anything other then verzion..
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Honestly OOMA looks very nice. I would go for it if the initial cost wasn't so high.

Peardog, since you've already made the switch to VoIP, I'd say go for OOMA. Even their Premier service looks to be good going on the user reviews posted on Amazon and the ability to have 2 simultaneous calls at once. International rates are pretty outstanding considering that my parents maybe have a call from/to out of the country (Hong Kong, China, etc.). At a penny a minute, you could chat for a while and pay a much lower fee than you would if you used your usual phone service. Plus side, you can save more money using a calling card.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X