Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiding Passwords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hiding Passwords

    If you wanted to hide super sensitive passwords online as backup, how and where would you do it? I'm thinking about hiding text using steganography inside a jpg or mp3 and just save it as a draft on my yahoo mail. Thumbs up or will I get caught in the cookie jar?

  • #2
    Re: Hiding Passwords

    i just write a text document with lets say myspace password planet battlefield and loads of other passwords. i keep one copy in a USB flash stick and another in a external hdd just incase i believe that would be ur best bet incase you forget the password for your email 2 :P

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hiding Passwords

      Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
      i just write a text document with lets say myspace password planet battlefield and loads of other passwords. i keep one copy in a USB flash stick and another in a external hdd just incase i believe that would be ur best bet incase you forget the password for your email 2 :P
      Heh... This is what I do, too! It sounds like you and I are trying not to lose/forget passwords, while it sounds to me like Hambergler is trying to be a bit more secure.

      The most secure thing is to memorize it and not have it written down at all. The problem is that in order to memorize your password, you have to have only one (or several) that you use for EVERY site. Then if that one password is compromised, you have a big problem, as you've used that password everywhere.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Hiding Passwords

        Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
        i just write a text document with lets say myspace password planet battlefield and loads of other passwords. i keep one copy in a USB flash stick and another in a external hdd just incase i believe that would be ur best bet incase you forget the password for your email 2 :P
        Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Heh... This is what I do, too! It sounds like you and I are trying not to lose/forget passwords, while it sounds to me like Hambergler is trying to be a bit more secure.

        The most secure thing is to memorize it and not have it written down at all. The problem is that in order to memorize your password, you have to have only one (or several) that you use for EVERY site. Then if that one password is compromised, you have a big problem, as you've used that password everywhere.
        I'm with them. I do the same thing to "manage" my passwords. Except when I need to move the file it gets uploaded onto a encrypted USB flash drive.

        I wouldn't put upload my passwords in some encrypted image or encrypted file onto some server. It's too sensitive and you never really know if the sysadmin running that server isn't just going to grab your file, decrypt it, and use your passwords.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

        Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





        SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

        TG Primer and Rules

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Hiding Passwords

          That's right, I have 126 passwords. When Ike hit I was without my home PC and couldn't install my PW app on the PC where I was staying. Couldn't manage my accounts without spending hours reseting PWs. So I need to keep it in text online someplace. I heard about steganography a few years ago and I am wondering if it is as secure as it's played up to be?

          http://lifehacker.com/software/priva...ols-230915.php

          Also, In case something were to happen to me I want a way in which it would be easy for a designated person to find and manage my accounts. Otherwise there would be all kinds of things going to hell. I don't want to tell any one person my passwords. I would need to have three people involved that I trust and they would all have to be sure I was incapacitated before they offered the foreman or vice foreman their part of the password. Haven't thought this one all the way through yet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Hiding Passwords

            Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
            If you wanted to hide super sensitive passwords online as backup, how and where would you do it? I'm thinking about hiding text using steganography inside a jpg or mp3 and just save it as a draft on my yahoo mail. Thumbs up or will I get caught in the cookie jar?
            Or come up with a really complicated password, that you generate from a simple word or phrase using a tool.

            What ?

            Go here, type «Hambergler» (or whatever you like) and hit MD4, MD5, or SHA-1). The result is your password. I use something similar at work to manage way too many passwords on way too many devices.

            DB

            «That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

            | |





            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Hiding Passwords

              Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
              Or come up with a really complicated password, that you generate from a simple word or phrase using a tool.

              What ?

              Go here, type «Hambergler» (or whatever you like) and hit MD4, MD5, or SHA-1). The result is your password. I use something similar at work to manage way too many passwords on way too many devices.

              DB
              Very nice. I think you may have solved my problem. I can create an input passphrase with a word variable being the device name.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Hiding Passwords

                I use keepass. It has a built in random password generator and allows for specific password generating criteria. Several of the banks we use at work have different requirements and they all have to be changed every 60-90 days. I use this and then if I ever need to access the program for home, I email the database file home and access it from the keepass installation on my home computer.
                Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

                Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Hiding Passwords

                  Keepass for the passwords at work (which can't leave the intranet).

                  Passpack.com for my personal passwords (I've been using it for months and highly recommend it).

                  EDIT: Passpack.com allows for 100 unique passwords stored for free, and I'm right at that limit. When I signed up, I made a rule: when I log into a site where I already have a password, I take time to "save" it in Passpack first. If I have time, I change it, at that time, to be more secure (my memorized passwords are quite weak compared to the random passwords I have Keepass and Passpack generate for me). If don't have time to change it to something more secure, when I add it to Passpack, I add a tag to that password named 'weak', so that I know to go back and upgrade that password later.

                  For most sites I use today, I don't know my password (most are 20+ characters). I just get it from the tool involved and login.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

                  Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Hiding Passwords

                    I write all my CD keys in a txt file. I suppose you could encrypt the file with an encryption program then upload that file onto a filedropper account or whatever.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Hiding Passwords

                      Much like Catman, I use Keepass to manage all my passwords. I keep my Keepass database file stored on my Ironkey so wherever I go, my passwords go with two levels of encryption. Aside from being the fastest USB thumb drive I have ever seen in my life, Ironkey has its own password manager that you can use that is quite good.

                      I don't know my passwords for anything anymore. It's all managed by Keepass and the passwords are far too complex for me to remember.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hiding Passwords

                        Any particular reason you guys use KeePass over RoboForm, other then KeePass being free and open source? I just want to make sure there's not some vulnerability with RoboForm I don't know about, I bought it years ago. :)

                        I like RoboForm because it integrates with my browser so when I want to log in to the bank for example, I just select that in RoboForm and it opens the website, enters the login and password, and hits enter, so it's true-one click for logging in.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Hiding Passwords

                          I use Master Password that comes with FireFox.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Hiding Passwords

                            Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
                            Any particular reason you guys use KeePass over RoboForm, other then KeePass being free and open source? I just want to make sure there's not some vulnerability with RoboForm I don't know about, I bought it years ago. :)

                            I like RoboForm because it integrates with my browser so when I want to log in to the bank for example, I just select that in RoboForm and it opens the website, enters the login and password, and hits enter, so it's true-one click for logging in.
                            KeePass will do that same type of automation. I use it for a variety of reasons;

                            1) VERY strong encryption, or combinations of encryption methods.
                            2) Encryption key flexibility. I can use a password, my Windows login credentials, my CAC card or even just a key stored on a USB memory stick to unlock my passwords. Whatever works for me in the situation I'm in.
                            3) I do like the free/open source and there are a ton of add-ons to enhance the functionality.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Hiding Passwords

                              Just dl'ed and am going to put it on a memory stick and then me and the wife can share it. She is always saying if something happens to me she would not know any of my passwords.

                              Now I have to get the passwords from Excel imported.
                              The Old Guy
                              kin3
                              sigpic


                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X