Asus Eee PC 1000HA netbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Eee PC 1000HA netbook

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a netbook. I had been looking at the Dell Mini 12 with their 12" (1280x800) screen but I decided to go for the Asus Eee PC 1000HA.

The Dell cost too much in comparison simply for the larger screen. I also read it wasn't using the same Atom processor as most netbooks and it didn't perform quite as well.

The Asus on the other hand was hard to beat at it's $349 tag (after rebates). I did pick up a 2 GB memory module for $20 so add that to the $9 shipping and the netbook cost a total of $378. I checked out a similar Asus at Bestbuy today to make sure I like the size and the only thing I don't like about it is the right-shift key that is mentioned everywhere already. I'll just have to adjust.

I also looked at the MSI, HP, Acer, and other Asus models but the Asus seemed to fit the bill nicely. I do plan to put the Ubuntu-Eee OS on the netbook when I get it.

After I've had time to open it up and give it a whirl I'll try to post a review / screenies.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Asus Eee PC 1000HA netbook

Originally posted by asch View Post
    I finally bit the bullet and ordered a netbook. I had been looking at the Dell Mini 12 with their 12" (1280x800) screen but I decided to go for the Asus Eee PC 1000HA.

The Dell cost too much in comparison simply for the larger screen. I also read it wasn't using the same Atom processor as most netbooks and it didn't perform quite as well.

The Asus on the other hand was hard to beat at it's $349 tag (after rebates). I did pick up a 2 GB memory module for $20 so add that to the $9 shipping and the netbook cost a total of $378. I checked out a similar Asus at Bestbuy today to make sure I like the size and the only thing I don't like about it is the right-shift key that is mentioned everywhere already. I'll just have to adjust.

I also looked at the MSI, HP, Acer, and other Asus models but the Asus seemed to fit the bill nicely. I do plan to put the Ubuntu-Eee OS on the netbook when I get it.

After I've had time to open it up and give it a whirl I'll try to post a review / screenies.
    Err, I believe the ASUS 1000HA can only take up to a 1 GB DIMM in its free slot. The maximum memory is 2 GB (1 GB already installed onto the mobo + 1 GB DIMM in the free RAM slot).

You may have to return the 2 GB module and get a 1 GB module instead.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

From the comments I read on newegg and amazon the buyers were replacing the 1 GB stick with a 2 GB stick. I remember reading about 1 GB being installed on the mobo but i think that's a different asus model.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

From the comments I read on newegg and amazon the buyers were replacing the 1 GB stick with a 2 GB stick. I remember reading about 1 GB being installed on the mobo but i think that's a different asus model.
        Most of the 1 GB ASUS netbooks come with 1 GB preinstalled onto the mobo.

You could try installing 2 GB. It's just some mobos will fail to recognize a larger RAM module and others will recognize it but won't address more than 1 GB of it.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Here are the comments I read on the 1000ha

Ease of upgrade. I'm not very tech savvy. However, it was WAY easy to open up my 1000HA and pop in a 2gb memory stick, and junk the 1gb stick that comes with this. You just need a small Phillips screwdriver. No weird keyboard lifting and no cracking open cases and no voiding of warranties.
          And this thread.

I believe the 1000H had the 1gb hooked into the mobo with the additional slot.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Here are the comments I read on the 1000ha

And this thread.

I believe the 1000H had the 1gb hooked into the mobo with the additional slot.
            Aah. Interesting. I had thought it was like the Acer netbook where there was a RAM DIMM soldered onto the mobo PCB itself.

Well, in that case, you should be good to go then after the upgrade.

Maybe I should have gone with a 1000HA instead. Too bad at the time I couldn't find a 6-cell battery packaged with one.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The 1000HA doesn't have bluetooth or wireless-n... but at this point I can live w/o them. Apparently the HDD and the wireless card are easy to upgrade if need be later.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

I look forward to this! I'm going to need a way to get on the internet from work soon using my own personal equipment and connection. I'm debating whether I want to get an iPhone or a netbook.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The 1000HA doesn't have bluetooth or wireless-n... but at this point I can live w/o them. Apparently the HDD and the wireless card are easy to upgrade if need be later.
                  You can easily add a Bluetooth dongle (the little mini ones) for a few bucks. Then you'd have Bluetooth capability at the cost of one USB port.

Most public accessible WiFi spots are still using 802.11g and only a few have switched to N but even those support G WiFi users.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  I look forward to this! I'm going to need a way to get on the internet from work soon using my own personal equipment and connection. I'm debating whether I want to get an iPhone or a netbook.
                  Not sure how portable and small of a device you would need at work, but if laptops are common to most of your co-workers, go with netbook. The larger screen, better functionality, and longer battery life (than a traditional notebook) should be a big plus compared to your coworkers squinting at their iPhones and tethered to their full-sized notebooks. :)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I just ordered a MSI Wind, so I will try and post my impressions when it comes in :)
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      I have an iphone too. While it works well to access the internet to check out website or two, I don't like having to browse with it. When on the 3G network it loads well. The edge (at my house) takes a while, and wi-fi eats up battery.

I do love the iphone though for ease of use, some games, etc. It sucks though for biz use.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      You can easily add a Bluetooth dongle (the little mini ones) for a few bucks. Then you'd have Bluetooth capability at the cost of one USB port.

Most public accessible WiFi spots are still using 802.11g and only a few have switched to N but even those support G WiFi users.
                      Yep... that's the plan. If I find myself needing bluetooth I'll get an adapter. My house router supports N but I can live with G for now on the netbook.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

i am waiting for the atom 330 (dual core n270) to come out, twice the power with within 10% of the same power consumption