Upgrade: Motherboard Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade: Motherboard Advice

Ive been thinking of getting a new quad core, as my AMD duel core's fan is getting audible through my Antec-190 case. It annoys me, tried cleaning it without much luck. Getting a new fan for a $50 CPU would just be a waste of cash.. So, time to go XMAS shopping for myself.

I was thinking of getting a
    AMD Phenom 9750 2.4GHz and I was woundering which mother board you guys would suggest for such a card. Some other requirements:
    • Creative X-Fi Gamer Edition
    • Single video card [Nvidia 9800gt(x?)]
    • Support for at least 4gb 800mhz ram
    • Lots of USB ports (6+)

I currently use the ASUS M2N-E AM2 which to my understanding should support the CPU.. But not to it's full potential, correct?

Any recommendations would be great, budget is not really a problem although I don't want to spend more than I have to for a motherboard.

If it could be purchased from newegg.ca (CANADA) that would be ideal.

Are there any new technologies (IE. RAM speeds, PCI-E 2), or other upcoming features that I may want to wait for?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Upgrade: Motherboard Advice

I found 4 boards that could work

MSI K9N2 $168

ASUS M3A78 Pro $122

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H $158

ASUS M3A78-T $171

several choices and price ranges. I would think of going with the 790GX boards if you wanted to overclock
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

ZaBoo, I know your post is regarding compat motherboards, but let me throw this in... (I always get frowny when I see "upgrade to Phenom" posts)...

Unless you have a slow Dual Core (what model X2 do you have, anyhow? you didn't specify), upgrading to a Phenom is something you should probably wait until the Phenom II for (Q1-Q2 2009). What I typically, personally advise when it comes to AMD's Quad Cores, is to wait on the Phenom II. Because none of the current Phenoms but the 9950 really have a gain on a 5400+ or better Athlon X2, especially when it comes to real-world performance. -and/or you're running a Virtual Machine on top of your current setup. The higher up Phenoms also have a lot more heat dissipation to worry about and upper models require more power. It does allow you to upgrade to DDR2-1066, and that helps close the gap a bit, but that memory in reality is just more robustly engineered DDR-800, OC'ed.

I did a lot of comparison because I was going to buy a 9950 to replace my X2 5600+, and realized that none of them would be much faster, if at all, than what I currently have. I would have essentially wasted $150. With the exception of the fact that I run a VM, but am waiting to upgrade...

With that said, what's been listed in Reaper's post are AM2+ boards which will support a Phenom. -and the Phenom II will be a different socket architecture. Meaning if you want to upgrade to the next gen Phenom processor, you have to junk the board you're looking for anyhow.

Lastly, there are decent aftermarket coolers that would not cost you $50... but a retail 5600+ fan and all, wouldn't cost you more than that, and would run cooler, with less wattage, and out-perform your 9750 in most tasks. Then save your cash for a Phenom II which would be a more significant upgrade.

5600+ on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...=AMD%205600%2b
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
        ZaBoo, I know your post is regarding compat motherboards, but let me throw this in... (I always get frowny when I see "upgrade to Phenom" posts)...

Unless you have a slow Dual Core (what model X2 do you have, anyhow? you didn't specify), upgrading to a Phenom is something you should probably wait until the Phenom II for (Q1-Q2 2009). What I typically, personally advise when it comes to AMD's Quad Cores, is to wait on the Phenom II. Because none of the current Phenoms but the 9950 really have a gain on a 5400+ or better Athlon X2, especially when it comes to real-world performance. -and/or you're running a Virtual Machine on top of your current setup. The higher up Phenoms also have a lot more heat dissipation to worry about and upper models require more power. It does allow you to upgrade to DDR2-1066, and that helps close the gap a bit, but that memory in reality is just more robustly engineered DDR-800, OC'ed.

I did a lot of comparison because I was going to buy a 9950 to replace my X2 5600+, and realized that none of them would be much faster, if at all, than what I currently have. I would have essentially wasted $150. With the exception of the fact that I run a VM, but am waiting to upgrade...

With that said, what's been listed in Reaper's post are AM2+ boards which will support a Phenom. -and the Phenom II will be a different socket architecture. Meaning if you want to upgrade to the next gen Phenom processor, you have to junk the board you're looking for anyhow.

Lastly, there are decent aftermarket coolers that would not cost you $50... but a retail 5600+ fan and all, wouldn't cost you more than that, and would run cooler, with less wattage, and out-perform your 9750 in most tasks. Then save your cash for a Phenom II which would be a more significant upgrade.

5600+ on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...=AMD%205600%2b
        Thanks. I'm running a AMD Athlon x64 4400+, I've looked around and I am convinced. I'll wait for the next gen, and just try to ignore the fan for now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X