How to take of GPU Fan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take of GPU Fan?

Since building my new rig about a year ago. i have noticed that to keep my gpu and normal temps while gaming which is around 70-80c i need to run my fan on 70% its quite loud and i thing the thermal paste has gone bad and needs replacing. IS it very difficult and possible to damage by taking it off. I have some extra arctic silver from my build and was thinking of re applying it... Any thoughts?
    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Re: How to take of GPU Fan?

Well, what card do you have? Some are much easier than others to take apart.

Also, if you didn't know it'll void your warranty :P (However if it's a card from EVGA you might not).

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Google your card and some search terms like 'fan' and 'removal' and 'heatsink'. That might bring up specifics on how to take it apart. Otherwise, a pair of pliers and some investigation could lead to figuring it out. It's most likely some plastic pins holding it to the circuit board. The pliers can easily get the pins out and you'll be able to reassemble it after you're done with maintenance.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I replaced my 8800gt fan and that uses about 12 screws to hold it on. A lot of newer cards are using a sort of cloth-putty thermal paste on the memory that I advise keeping on there but you could replace the GPU paste if you wanted.

Comment

i got a sapphire hd3870
          |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

If your HD3870 is anything like these two:

You'll have to be careful. Plus you'll content with at least a dozen small screws (like the second image). You'll have to use a precision screwdriver to get out all of the screws. You might need a hex head precision screwdriver too (some older video cards used hex screws).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the 3850 comes off the same as my 2600 XT there are simply a few screws to take off

Comment

I have the double slot version
                |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

from HIS? please show us picture :P

Comment

Well since i had to unplug my computer to get my new RAM in there i cleaned it out with our leaf blower because i saw there was a good layer of dust in there. Now it is al sparkly clean and the temp has dropped almost half. I was amazed on how it did. it has only been about 4 months since the last cleaning. so now i wont even bother with replacing it. thanks for the help
                    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X