laptop modifying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop modifying

Guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400/1505 laptop. It has the T5500 Core 2 Duo (running at 1.662) and the discrete mobility radeon X1400 connected to the board via pci-express 16x. The board is an intel 945PM or 945GM board. (Intel's board ID program seems off, so it might be a 950 board.)

I am interested in upgrading the parts inside of my Dell laptop. I am familiar with opening laptops. I have some confusion as to what parts are compatible with my Inspiron. One of the options for my laptop was the T7200 Core 2 Duo, but that was the highest Dell offered (if I remember). The x1400 was better than the Nvidia 7300.

According to one site on the internet, a man was able to buy through Dell a Geforce Go7800GTX (Nvidia MXM class 2) graphics card and properly install it into his Inspiron 6400/1505.

I know how to swap the cpu. How do I tell the different series within the processors apart (i.e. Pyrn)?

Guys, if you know what parts would work in my laptop, please tell me. If you have any suggestions of where I could buy the parts, I would be happy.

Maybe somebody here who works at Dell might know--does Parkbench still come here...

Please, if you have nothing that is truly helpful to the thread, please stay out of it. You will only ruin the point of it...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: laptop modifying

ususally the CPU is hardwired to the motherboard of ur laptop, esp. with dell, and upgrading gfx is also ususally not possible with notebooks, unless u got one of these OEM empty shells like from Alienware, or Zepto.

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Dell told me that it is possible, only after they started selling the gfx cards.

Nvidia makes an MXM standard of cards for laptops that use pci-e x16.... Mine does have the pci-e x16 gfx card, and yes, I can upgrade the processor. I do not know what is the highest performance model of processor or gfx card can be handled...

As I have stated, I already have some experience in laptop repair and rebuilding. I do not know where to buy after market hardware parts for the laptop.

Only my sound card is integrated. I made sure I could update my internals when I bought it...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Do a google search for your model of laptop's service manual. You can find them for pretty much any laptop and it'll give you step by step (with pictures, even) instructions for replacing any particular component that can be replaced. Lot of people get iffy about opening a laptop, but on the newer ones it's pretty much cake.

That'll give you the Manufacturer's howto, then it's just a matter of figuring out what you can put in which isn't nearly as easy. Best bet is to start looking at the companies that specialize in laptop replacement parts and seeing what they offer.

Downside? it's a Dell. Dell is in the practice of hard-locking their BIOS. Meaning that if you put in a non-standard processor the laptop won't go, even though it's socket and board compatible. BIOS will just shout the the processor isn't what it's looking for and there you are.
        So I would look to see if dell has any BIOS upgrades for your model and if they include processor compatibility upgrades (don't hold your breath on that one though) and go from there.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Well, I can deal with buying the parts from dell. I have the manual and dell's instructions on how to open the machine and replace all of the parts. Buying the parts require me to check other models' parts and then compare the compatibility of the part to my machine. So, if I find a Dell part, it probably will work. As far as I know, certain Alienware parts will work in dells.

Nobody seems to get what I am saying...

I am looking at what model of Dell offered graphics card (from AMD or Nvidia) will work in my Inspiron 6400. I have seen a GeForce Go 7800 installed in an Inspiron 6400. What other cards will work?

I also am curious as to what is the best compatible Dell offered processor available for my Inspiron 6400.

Any help?

Comment

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/D...en&cs=19&s=dhs

Punch in your service tag from the laptop and it'll tell you what dell has/can get you.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

modifying laptops

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
              http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/D...en&cs=19&s=dhs

Punch in your service tag from the laptop and it'll tell you what dell has/can get you.
              Thanks but no thanks Spyder. I see you cannot help me.

I have already done much of my research. I want to know how to identify the highest model CPU the dell variant of the intel 945GM motherboard can handle and the fastest/newest Graphics Card (that is slid into a pci-e 16x slot) available through Dell.

See, often times Dell laptops share the same parts and drivers, but when a laptop is discontinued, you have to find a model with the same part in order to get the proper drivers. This is the very same way it is with buying more powerful parts for the laptops.

I need to find the other laptops that use the 945GM motherboard. I'm guessing what the higher-end laptops using that board have installed might work in my laptop, but that is only if the parts are in the same size class. (MXM cards in class 3 will not work in MXM Class 1 and MXM Class 2 laptops.)

Does my theory seem sound?

Comment

I used to have that laptop, and there are still 3 in the office where I manage the computers.

the cpu is upgradeable to 2.0, but on the older c2d's... the newer ones are the same pin count, but differently keyed.

the x1400 is the highest the 6400 can go. video cards in laptops are designed specifically for the model they are in. heatsinks, board shape, connectors, and screw locations are designed for one and only one laptop.... there are a few that offer "interchangeable" video cards, but they only work within that brand (I think alienware was doing that when pci-e was just coming out)

it will hold 4gig of ram, but will only see 3.5.

and btw, I really wish peole would stop saying that cpu's are "generally soldered directly to the motherboard" this is true only very rarely, and usually in extremely low cost pc's or where even the space of the socket is too valuable (umpc's like the sony ux or the oqo)
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

T7200 is the best you can do.
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info on the cpu.

I did more research and found it is possible to change the graphics card, if you know what you are doing. I probably do not know what to do... I am surprised, but many brands actually make laptops that can have the graphics card upgraded, though there is alot of work to be done on the shape of the heatsink.

Comment

the infamous inspiron 9300 was the best example of awesomeness in laptop form.

it was an xps2 without all the bling. people hacked the bios, did some hardware swapouts, and got a gf 7900 gtx and a p-m 2.4 or better with a simple pinmod overclock.

I sold one to tonk and he seems to get quite a bit of use out of it.

awesome laptop. easy to work on, and TONS of room to mod. I built Tonk's from parts off ebay - and I would do it again if I could get the same deal on the parts.

the 6400 is a bit more of a bear - mostly b/c of the 15" platform... I prefer 17's to mod as they have the room to accomodate the extra stuff. I am adding GPS, an internal Avermedia ATSC TV Tuner with cable hookup and built in antenna, optical audio input and output, LED keyboard lights in the LCD bezel with a brightness control jog wheel, and am looking at getting the screen modded with touch sensitivity.

I still would like to get 8gig of ram and a 2.6 or 2.8 c2d - or even just a 2.4 c2q - but what are you gonna do?
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post

it was an xps2 without all the bling. people hacked the bios, did some hardware swapouts, and got a gf 7900 gtx and a p-m 2.4 or better with a simple pinmod overclock.

awesome laptop. easy to work on, and TONS of room to mod. I built Tonk's from parts off ebay - and I would do it again if I could get the same deal on the parts.

the 6400 is a bit more of a bear - mostly b/c of the 15" platform... I prefer 17's to mod as they have the room to accomodate the extra stuff. I am adding GPS, an internal Avermedia ATSC TV Tuner with cable hookup and built in antenna, optical audio input and output, LED keyboard lights in the LCD bezel with a brightness control jog wheel, and am looking at getting the screen modded with touch sensitivity.

I still would like to get 8gig of ram and a 2.6 or 2.8 c2d - or even just a 2.4 c2q - but what are you gonna do?
                        I hope you can tell me more.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post

i did enjoy modding it a bit further with a PM 1.6 to 2.16, volt modding it to idle without fan at .7v @ 31C lol

dogg, how the heck do you come up with those ideas.... i want a touch screen! u do all that to your 1725? where do u put the gps and tuner modules?

i got a steal of a deal on an XPS 1710 (with 7950gtx and 2.33 c2d) last week