Is it this easy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it this easy?

I want to upgrade my mobo, CPU and RAM only. Everything else is still in good shape and doesn't need replacing at this time.

Will I have to reinstall WinXP or can I simply attach it to the new set-up and turn it on?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Is it this easy?

Did that once and I seem to remember that I had to do a repair install or something like that. I didn't loose any data.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

Changing the motherboard used to have a good chance of needing to reinstall. I haven't tried it recently so I couldn't say for sure.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

As long as your not replacing your hard drive, I think you don't need to... but I'm not a computer whiz :row__577:

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Comment

You could probably get by with a repair install. So whip out that WinXP CD and let it do its magic after replacing the parts. It's recommended to do a reinstall though.

You will have to do something once the parts are replaced. Replacing the motherboard is a major hardware upgrade and WinXP won't boot with the old motherboard drivers.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I found this yesterday maybe it will help. http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Comment

If you're just replacing your CPU and RAM, you will not have to reinstall Windows.

Really the only time you have to do a reformat and reinstall of Windows is when you change to a new motherboard with a different chipset than your old one.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. It looks like a reinstall will be necessary.

Originally posted by =RedBull0808= View Post
                I found this yesterday maybe it will help. http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y
                Is Paragon Drive Backup Express 9.0 any good?
                |TG|Melee
                Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Acronis True Image is pretty good for a backup too.

- -

Comment

I remember having to change the hard disk controller drivers to windows generic so the new MB can read the hard drive. Then install the MB specific drivers after it's running. Not sure if it's still the case.

I would do a fresh install because it would kill me to think I wasn't getting the most out of my new set up.

Comment

the best imaging software is macrium reflect - and its free (works with vista too)

also, eula discussions aside, you need to do a fresh install of the os with a new mobo... or you will wind up doing it with a few weeks anyway.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Typically if you're staying with a similar architecture, you can sometimes get away with booting it up and letting it detect the new hardware and do a couple of restarts to get it all in place. Otherwise as suggested, try the repair but you're running a 50/50 chance at best.

But if it's moving to a different platform (AMD to Intel and vice versa), you'll need to load the system entirely without question.
                        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I second macrum reflect its is is very easy to use from my experience with it.
                          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Just try it with the new mobo - remove/uninstall the drivers before the final shutdown of the old mobo, then boot and maybe Windows will recognize your new stuff. If not, then nuke your C drive and start over. It feels refreshing to have a clean new OS.

Comment

I've done motherboard replacements, even from AMD to Intel Core 2, and used the repair install procedure many times with success.

Another link for you.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X