RAM Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Question

I just got a new set of RAM for christ,as. I have an existing set of 2x1gb sticks adding to 2 gigs. This morning i recieved another 2 gb set. SO adding up to 4 gb. I know XP 32 can handle a max of 4 gb. Since all the other things that add to those 4 gigs it comes out to reading 3.25gb in my computer. I heard that having extra RAM could acctually slow your system down. Should I only run 3 gb of ram and not use one of my sticks or use all 4?
    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Re: RAM Question

Use the 4 sticks.
    There is no way that more RAM can slow down your PC. In fact, using 3 sticks would mean you'd be running the RAM in single channel mode, which would theoretically slow the system down.
    It's Gaming
    Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
      Use the 4 sticks.
      There is no way that more RAM can slow down your PC. In fact, using 3 sticks would mean you'd be running the RAM in single channel mode, which would theoretically slow the system down.

That depends on the chipset. Some Intel chipsets work dual channel even with 3 memory modules.

«Intel® Flex Memory Technology Facilitates easier upgrades by allowing different memory sizes to be populated and remain in dual-channel mode.»

Best to check the motherboard manual.

Cheers!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Also, the reason you only see 3GB is because that is the max 32-bit WinXP can handle.
        |TG|Melee
        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
          Also, the reason you only see 3GB is because that is the max 32-bit WinXP can handle.
          It shows 3.25GB because the 4GB limit includes video memory and paging file allocation. WinXP 32 can handle 4GB.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Oh, don't get technical on me.... lol
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I know that it can only handle a max of 4 with everything inside it.

My question is which would be the best to run 3 sticks or 4 sticks of ram. I heard going over 4 gigs made it slower and im asking what would be faster for my system
              |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

It's best to run with 4 sticks of RAM in your system.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  It's best to run with 4 sticks of RAM in your system.

Yes this is deffo the answer...but remember a portion is used by other system devices....you will never see the whole amount of memory installed.

Check out this thread from TOMS

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...g-12gb-windows
                  sigpic
                  "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Originally posted by warpig1292 View Post
                    I know that it can only handle a max of 4 with everything inside it.

My question is which would be the best to run 3 sticks or 4 sticks of ram. I heard going over 4 gigs made it slower and im asking what would be faster for my system
                    The more RAM, the better. I don't know where you heard that having more RAM would make things slower. It could have been a discussion about using more slower RAM vs. less faster RAM.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                      The more RAM, the better. I don't know where you heard that having more RAM would make things slower. It could have been a discussion about using more slower RAM vs. less faster RAM.
                      Up to the OS limit. For Win32, that's 4 GB. (A good reason to go to 64 bit, if you use programs that max out your memory. But not many do, yet.)

I noticed that Vista 64 + WoW used about 2.4 GB, so I had to install 4 or I'd get terrible swapping. (I also tend to code at the same time, and the compiler uses yet another big chunk of memory.) Plus Firefox, with my 50 tabs of TG threads to read. :p

Even if you have a mobo that does dual channel with 3 sticks, you only get dual channel for the pair. The odd stick will run single-channel. Put the 4th stick in and the last 2 sticks will run dual, but only a fraction of them will get used. (And that's ok.)
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        Even if you have a mobo that does dual channel with 3 sticks, you only get dual channel for the pair.
                        Check out the Intel docs. (section 9.2 on Interleaved mode). As long as both channels are populated with the same total capacity, you're good to go. Just the way they designed the memory controller on these chipsets.

Cheers!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

So can a single DIMM serve both channels? That was what had me believing you needed two: I thought a DIMM was single-channel and you put two in matching slots to get dual channel. My thinking was that the DIMM allocated 64 pins to one channel of data. Are there enough pins to get 2 channels of data out of the same DIMM?
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            So can a single DIMM serve both channels? That was what had me believing you needed two: I thought a DIMM was single-channel and you put two in matching slots to get dual channel. My thinking was that the DIMM allocated 64 pins to one channel of data. Are there enough pins to get 2 channels of data out of the same DIMM?
                            You need at least one DIMM per channel. So 2, 3, or 4 DIMMs will give you dual channel (with this memory controller). Have a look at the thumbnail.

DB
                            Attached Files

| |

Comment

actually that attachment looks incorrectly labeled, usually the colored slots are the channels, but then again it can vary by motherboard design.
                              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X