How to Control Case Fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Control Case Fans

Gearing up for my first build, and it just occured to me; without a fan control panel there must be a way to control their speed and such. But I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I'll have the Antec 900 case with an additional side panel fan along with the ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard. Any insights?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Re: How to Control Case Fans

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...troller-Panels

fan controllers :)
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Now, my next question is; if I don't plan on overclocking do I really need to worry about it?

Comment

not really. But they do help in keeping your machine quiet. You can slow them down when its just idol and crank them up when you are gaming or uising it. Ive got one on mine and thats what i do. Half the day it sits at 50%.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

I have the same case. there are 3 speeds on the fans. of the fans there is a 3 inch cord with a plastic end on it and a little switch that goes in 3 places. usally i leave mine on low/medium and its fine no need to turn em on hi
          |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

I have an antec 900. The 200 mm on top sucks in plenty of air on medium. I just leave it on that.

The only drawback is the amount of dust it sucks in. You'll need to give it periodical cleanings during the year to make sure dust doesn't get lodged in any of the fans.

Other than that, you'll need to be careful where you place the fan control switches. When building the comp, remember to zip tie them with the chord bundles for easy access to them. Otherwise they'll get stuck under other wires in that case. Just don't lose track of them.

I'm not sure if you need the optional fan though on the side. The case has a good airflow system as it is, pulling from bottom to top. That's all I can think of.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
            "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
            of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
            To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
            - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

There are many ways to control your fans:

many motherboards have a cool&quiet feature. The fans plugged into the board are controlled so that when temps go up fan RPMs go up.

PSU fan control. I had an Antec power supply unit with special power plugs for fans. When the PSU sensed lower temps it lowered the fan speeds.

The motherboard can measure the fan speed when they are hooked up using 3-wire cables. Then you can use software like Speedfan (I think) to automagically control your fans depending on time of day, phase of moon or CPU temperature.

My CPU fan used to have a fan control - a little know you turned to get the fan to be faster or slower.

Also useful is Rivatuner for monitoring and controlling the GPU (graphics) fan. Available from guru3d.com it has a great monitoring display.

You play around with these things until your machine runs stable and then you leave them pretty much alone

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                Now, my next question is; if I don't plan on overclocking do I really need to worry about it?
                If you don't mind having 4-8 fans generate constant noise in the background, then you probably don't even need a fan controller.

If you're like me, I can't stand having 4 loud fans going when my system is on, much less this computer room with 4 computers and a total of 15 fans. I'm just glad my current rig and my last one has fan controllers to help keep them quiet. Otherwise, I'd be climbing the wall by right pulling out all of my hair.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Factor in the noise, I have (4) 120mm and (2) 80mm fans and they scream. The case is cool but the trade of is constant noise...JJ

Comment

Well I guess I'll go for a fan controler then. Thanks guys. What about this one?

Comment

Lol dr beat, I'm going for the exact same i7 build, same case same mobo, tell me how it turned out!

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Antec 900 has manual fan controller, you don't need to buy anything with it. If you're not OCing you should be fine keeping it on low. If you do plan on OCing you're going to want to buy an aftermarket cooler for your CPU anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by creepin View Post
                          Lol dr beat, I'm going for the exact same i7 build, same case same mobo, tell me how it turned out!
                          I will!

Originally posted by SamO View Post
                          Antec 900 has manual fan controller, you don't need to buy anything with it. If you're not OCing you should be fine keeping it on low. If you do plan on OCing you're going to want to buy an aftermarket cooler for your CPU anyway.
                          Ok perfect. Now to answer a newbie question, where and what form does the fan controller take? And will it control the additional 120mm fan I plan on adding?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                            Well I guess I'll go for a fan controler then. Thanks guys. What about this one?
                            I suggest this Zalman one instead of the Scythe one you linked to. It's about $3 cheaper and the first two knobs/channels allow you to hook up a CPU cooling fan and another case fan (or mobo fan). (Allows you to turn it up or down but still leaves the mobo to turn it up/down depending on the internal case temperature.)

Rincewind and I both have this exact same fan controller and we swear that it's the best we've used so far. :)
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Looks good. Thanks for another batch full of advice!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X