Income taxes and possible upgrades to PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income taxes and possible upgrades to PC

OK, income taxes are only about a month away for me. I usually end up getting money back by the last week of January. So, I have a lot of plans for the money I am hoping to get back(typically it is about $4,800).
    I have the 8800GT video card and E8400 processor. I am thinking of upgrading only one of these but unsure if I should go with the video card or processor. Who knows, maybe the finance committee(the wife) will approve both. Lot a plans for this money besides upgrading a computer, so unsure if this will even happen.

I am wondering what video card I should go with and/or what processor? I have a 750W PSU so I don't wanna replace the PSU. I haven't really been keeping up on the video cards lately either but is Nvidia the way to go or is ATI actually the better card to get now? Processor I figured I would get a quad core something or other although I know it is not needed for gaming right now but figure this may be the best time to make the jump to the quad, if. I fi don't get quad core I guess the E8600 will do. Guess I really need to start looking at some comparisons on this stuff, prices as well as actual performance data.
    Also what may be release plans for Nvidia and ATI, anything new in the near future I may wanna hold off for?

Re: Income taxes and possible upgrades to PC

I would go for a video card upgrade, your CPU will be fine for at the very least another year.

ATI is coming out with 40nm cards but they are starting with low end cards (from what I've heard) so it might be a long wait before they come up with high end cards. If you were to upgrade now wait until the GTX 285 is out in stores (GTX 280 55nm revision) or get the 4870 (GTX 285 is more powerful but costs more).

If you're willing to go dual card wait for the GTX 295 which is a little more powerful than 2 gtx 260 cards and is 55nm. The 295 is already more powerful than the 4870 X2 and is still using beta drivers nor is it released.

If you're looking for something a cheaper get a 4850 or 9800 GTX+

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I go to the tom's hardware GPU charts, see how much faster the newer models are and how much more they cost. If there's a 50% speedup at a 10% price increase (for example) than I go for it. See what you can gain in performance and then check what that card costs. I print the chart and write the prices in. You'll quickly see a point where you pay way too much for small gains.

From the chart it looks as if you buy another 8800GT and run them in SLI gives you a speedup from 20 -> 27 fps in Crysis 1280x1024, that's like 30%+.

Comment

instead of upgrading your CPU get an aftermarket cooler and oc the crap out of that thing
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
          instead of upgrading your CPU get an aftermarket cooler and oc the crap out of that thing
          I am just curious, where would one go if they wanted a "How-to-do-it" guide to overclocking?
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Toms hardware and Anandtech should both have fairly detailed guides for most cpus. What you really should do though is look up a guide specifically for your motherboard.

Also BF2 never liked overclocking for me.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Hexus has one of my favorite guides for overclocking C2D.
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Well, due to the MB I have I can run Crossfire but not SLI. I had a brain fart when I had ordered my MB last year when I built my computer. I failed to see it was Crossfire ready and not SLI. Anyway, I don't think my 750W PSU would handle Crossfire or even SLI honestly cause I did by PSU that has a bad reputation for not putting out the actual stated wattage.
                So, as of now I was seriously thinking of the 4870 single ATI card, unless the 4870 X2 can be connected to my PSU. I have to see and check on that. I only have 2 6-pin connectors on my PSU, I think. Another thought had crossed my mind was buy a SLI ready MB and another 8800GT and try it. Never know, my PSU may actually be a good one.
                May try to OC my processor though. Legion hardware has an article with an E8400 and Gigabyte MB almost like mine so should be fairly simple to follow.

Comment

I think you'd get more benefit from upgrading the video card. Although, the 8800GT is still pretty good. Try banking some cash and upgrade a bit later in the year. Then you can time your purchase after a price drop.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Bank cash!!! That is a laugh. I have a huge hole in my pockets that loves eating money. If I am not spending money on crap I usually don't need then my wife has to spend it on shoes, purses, or some other nonsense as well. I already have plans to spend about $1k on a Wii and some games and accessories. Not to mention buying a couple HDTV's and do some work on my vehicles. I could spend easily all of the cash raising my Jeep up in the air, getting new tires, and then I am wanting to add a manual transmission to it. Tranny alone will be about $3,500. Would be nice to have sense enough to "bank it".

As my wife says, boys and their toys.

Comment

GTX 260/280 upgrade all the way and you're golden.

- -

Comment

I would also say if you upgrade go with the Video Card. Reason being it will give you the biggest short term jump for the games that are out right now. You will be kicking yourself if you buy a good quad right now because you have a 775 socket, and will be dreaming of the next intel stuff that comes out this summer, wishing you had gotten that instead.

So I say GPU now, and then come next Jan. you can do a CPU/Motherboard upgrade and still have a good GPU to drop in.

As far as which GPU, I would read that review in the thread about the new Nvidia 260 built with the 55nm core, and then compare it to the ATI 4870 with 1gig ram. They will be about the same price, but looks like the 260 may be faster.

As mentioned above, the big refreshes are supposed to be out this summer, and with Operation Flashpoint2 and ARMA2 both due out about then as well, you might just hide that money away for 4 months or so. Think about how big a jump between the 3000 and 4000 series from ATI was. Think that since they are dropping to 40nm it could be as big, and how much happier long term you would be with a 5000. :D

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                          So, I have a lot of plans for the money I am hoping to get back(typically it is about $4,800).
                          Dang, you get a lot back too? I get around $8K back and I have the maximum number of deductions allowed. I hate the IRS.
                          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                            I am just curious, where would one go if they wanted a "How-to-do-it" guide to overclocking?
                            Check out the xtremesystems forums. They'll have forums/threads for your specific system build (mother board thread, cpu thread, etc.) with discussion by folks who live for overclocking.
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                              Bank cash!!! That is a laugh. I have a huge hole in my pockets that loves eating money. If I am not spending money on crap I usually don't need then my wife has to spend it on shoes, purses, or some other nonsense as well. I already have plans to spend about $1k on a Wii and some games and accessories. Not to mention buying a couple HDTV's and do some work on my vehicles. I could spend easily all of the cash raising my Jeep up in the air, getting new tires, and then I am wanting to add a manual transmission to it. Tranny alone will be about $3,500. Would be nice to have sense enough to "bank it".

As my wife says, boys and their toys.
                              Thanks for doing your part to stimulate the economy...
                              |TG|Melee
                              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...