Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Graphics decision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help with Graphics decision

    Hi guys. There comes a time when an old machine needs some TLC to remain viable and enjoyable. I just learned that my venerable P4 can get another breath by upgrading the video card, since it still has an AGP slot.

    Here are the two options available to me:

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...?EdpNo=3855381

    and...

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...5427&CatId=318

    Since I have an old P4 my rig always ran a bit warmer than some newer ones so when I saw the option of dumping the heat from the video card outside the box I thought "cool" but...Sapphire may not be top of the line but at least it's a brand I recognize, HIS I had never heard of. That's where you guys come in. If you know of this brand and have some feedback it would be much appreciated.

    I tried researching this through Google but HIS is only 3 characters long and it's very common. When I couldn't find a proper review in my first few attempts I thought of branching out and asking you but I will keep trying to refine my search. I need to make a decision very soon.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Help with Graphics decision

    Nothing wrong with the HIS card. It was one of the video card sellers that jumped on board when ATI started selling their chips to other companies.

    A good idea is to google the specific card you're looking at buying. It'll be better to look at reviews and opinions of the specific card and brand to get an idea. It's helpful when a specific line of parts have problems since the 3850 you're looking at could be problem free when the 4850 line could be more problematic (for example).

    - It's who you game with.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Help with Graphics decision

      The problem with AGP cards, is that when a line DOES provide an option for them, they're hideously expensive for what they are, and are hard to find. What are you upgrading from, that a 3850 AGP card would be a significant performance boost?

      For $266, you can get a 1GB HD4870 PCI-e card that would blow three of those cards combined out of the water....

      The advice I would have on either card, is see if you can find one of them used, then bank the rest of the cash on a newer mobo and processor. But the HIS card is overkill for that price, for what's still only an 8x AGP card.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Help with Graphics decision

        My rationale is that it is still cheaper than buying a new computer, which is in essence what I'd have to do to upgrade the PCI-e route.

        I'm going from an ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 (essentially a Radeon 9600) so this is a huge step up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Help with Graphics decision

          Originally posted by Lusitano Louco View Post
          My rationale is that it is still cheaper than buying a new computer, which is in essence what I'd have to do to upgrade the PCI-e route.

          I'm going from an ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 (essentially a Radeon 9600) so this is a huge step up.
          If you're not comfortable with doing upgrades on a per-component basis, then yes, most certainly.

          -and from that card, yes it's a noteworthy upgrade indeed. However, I'd go with the "cheaper" of the two cards you posted. No point in dropping another $100 on that thing when (again) it can be banked away.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Help with Graphics decision

            cant u just change the mobo then and keep ur p4? just buy a cheap mobo that supports it and has connections for all ur other stuff and a pci E X 16


            suggestions

            http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...62102&csid=_21

            http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...356&CatId=3670

            this would be way better then buying eaither of those cards and way cheaper than 2nd card and alil more money then the 1st. and replacing parts isint hard at all. we could all help you in finding info :P

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Help with Graphics decision

              spend that extra $100 on a new board that has a PCIE slot on it. See if you do by chance have a socket 775..you might have lucked out and been one of the few that did indeed get one..otherwise if it is a socket 478 then you are better off just saving up..

              IMHO it is just throwing good money away on obsolete equipment.


              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Help with Graphics decision

                Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
                cant u just change the mobo then and keep ur p4? just buy a cheap mobo that supports it and has connections for all ur other stuff and a pci E X 16


                suggestions

                http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...62102&csid=_21

                http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...356&CatId=3670

                this would be way better then buying eaither of those cards and way cheaper than 2nd card and alil more money then the 1st. and replacing parts isint hard at all. we could all help you in finding info :P
                Thanks for the advice but that would be downgrading. You get what you pay for. I have an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard and a Pentium 4 2.8G processor (http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL79K). These bargain basement dual core processors can't even run Battlefield 1942 properly, much less 2142. My old machine can run 2142 with no problems. I don't skimp on the motherboard, the processor or the memory. Video is upgradeable, the rest is too much of a hit to the system so it's best to lay a good foundation. When I am ready to move up I will build another system. For now I just want and need to upgrade the video card.

                I have built all my systems from a 486 on up. Either that or I selected and bought the parts myself and then asked someone to set it up for me and do the burn in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Help with Graphics decision

                  Originally posted by Lusitano Louco View Post
                  Thanks for the advice but that would be downgrading. You get what you pay for. I have an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard and a Pentium 4 2.8G processor (http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL79K). These bargain basement dual core processors can't even run Battlefield 1942 properly, much less 2142. My old machine can run 2142 with no problems. I don't skimp on the motherboard, the processor or the memory. Video is upgradeable, the rest is too much of a hit to the system so it's best to lay a good foundation. When I am ready to move up I will build another system. For now I just want and need to upgrade the video card.

                  I have built all my systems from a 486 on up. Either that or I selected and bought the parts myself and then asked someone to set it up for me and do the burn in.

                  i have a pentium dual core e2140 @ 1.60 GHZ i play bf2 maxed out at 1280X1024 with 100 FPS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Help with Graphics decision

                    If you are sure you are sticking with AGP, then here is what you need to read:

                    Best Gaming Graphics Cards for the Money: AGP Interface

                    They recommend the 3850 on the high end, and a quick check on newegg shows some AGP versions for about $100 after rebates. Pretty good cause I just looked at them a couple months ago and they were at $150 still.

                    If you have the AIW card, anything would be a good upgrade. But don't waste more than about $115 or so on an AGP card, and that is on the very high end.

                    LINKS

                    * *


                    Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

                    -Carlos A. Urbizo-

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Help with Graphics decision

                      Thanks for the tips guys but:
                      Newegg.com does not offer International/Canadian shipping options at this time.
                      Even if it did, I'm sure it would kill any savings. You're also forgetting that the prices quoted in the Tiger Direct site I referenced are Canadian Dollars, not US. There is a bit of a difference once you factor in the exchange and shipping. I got shipping for $1.99 CAD.

                      Thanks for your help.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Help with Graphics decision

                        newegg.ca

                        http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814131090
                        Reapator, overlord of ponies

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Help with Graphics decision

                          Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                          Thanks. That's only been around for a couple of months. Since I stopped visiting newegg a long time ago so I wouldn't drool over stuff I couldn't buy I didn't even know they had expanded to Canada. Oh well. Tiger Direct does offer a 30 day price protection clause that means they'll match the price of the competition. I'll try that and see how it goes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Help with Graphics decision

                            Originally posted by Lusitano Louco View Post
                            Thanks. That's only been around for a couple of months. Since I stopped visiting newegg a long time ago so I wouldn't drool over stuff I couldn't buy I didn't even know they had expanded to Canada. Oh well. Tiger Direct does offer a 30 day price protection clause that means they'll match the price of the competition. I'll try that and see how it goes.
                            Check out NCIX.com, anitec.ca and directcanada.com for other Canadian online shopping. I typically use them because they're only based in BC so out of province shoppers save on provincial tax. I wouldn't recommend TigerDirect unless you can go to the store. Shipping kills any deals there and they don't have much selection.

                            - It's who you game with.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Help with Graphics decision

                              Thanks Sarc. I really appreciate that info. Tiger Direct (and I'm sure Newegg as well) has the bad habit of listing stuff that is shipped from the states and then we get hammered with import tariffs.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X