Problem with Automatic Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Automatic Updates

Today I got a bubble saying that my Automatic Updates was turned off. I went to the security center (Windows XP) to turn it back on, but whenever I do I get this message: "We're sorry. Windows Security Center could not change the Automatic Updates settings.
    To try changing these settings yourself, go to System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab, select Automatic (recommended) and then click OK."

I've done that numerous times, yet my Automatic Updates setting remains turned OFF.

Mozilla Firefox has also been acting odd lately; giving me pop-ups to scan my computer for malware, etc.
    I'm currently scanning for a virus, but other than that, I would like a second opinion.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?
    Last edited by Deathblade1065; 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM.
    As I walk through the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil.
    For the valleys are gone and only Death awaits.
    And I am the Evil.

Re: Problem with Automatic Updates

hello virus? that would be my guess
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking, but the past few virus scans I've started haven't found anything.
      And I am the Evil.

Comment

Maybe you should try a different AV program. Like Avast, AVG, or NOD32.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Right now I'm scanning with AVG 8.0
          And I am the Evil.

Comment

Yeah, run a few virus scans. Also try a scan with a spyware only type program of your choice (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware being my recommendation)

Sometimes these aren't picked up by virus scans. It happens.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Might be a root kit. Get a second drive and replace your boot drive. Install minimal Windows and an AV. Put your original drive in a USB enclosure and scan it from your known-clean Windows installation.

Or boot from a CD with Windows or Linux and an AV. Ultimate Boot CD is a good one for this, but make the CD on a known-clean computer.

What's critical is that you NOT boot from an infected drive. Then the root kit gets to run underneath Windows and lie to it about its presence.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                Might be a root kit. Get a second drive and replace your boot drive. Install minimal Windows and an AV. Put your original drive in a USB enclosure and scan it from your known-clean Windows installation.

Or boot from a CD with Windows or Linux and an AV. Ultimate Boot CD is a good one for this, but make the CD on a known-clean computer.

What's critical is that you NOT boot from an infected drive. Then the root kit gets to run underneath Windows and lie to it about its presence.
                If it's a rootkit, he'll have a hard time removing it as sometimes there may not be a tool that exists to remove it from the hard drive.

He might be able to get rid of it by zero-filling the infected drive.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  If it's a rootkit, he'll have a hard time removing it as sometimes there may not be a tool that exists to remove it from the hard drive.

He might be able to get rid of it by zero-filling the infected drive.
                  If the drive is installed as a slave, the rootkit doesn't run. If it doesn't run, a simple file scanner will find it.

You don't need to smash the drive with zeroes to clean out a rootkit. You just have to break the paths used to launch it, ie. executable code either in the boot sector or in one of the OS-launched executables.

BTW, I just did this with my coworker's infected machine. Took out his XP Home Media drive and mounted it in a USB enclosure, and ran the free AVG scanner from my Vista 64 box. It found 159 infected files in system32 that didn't turn up from scanners run from his system. Now I have to put his machine back together and see if it will still boot, or if I'll have to reload Windows.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I have reformatted a total of 3 computers in the past month(family and friends) that have had this same problem with the automatic updates being one of the first signs there was problems with their computers.

BTW, I did a bunch of scans with NOD32, AVG, and AVAST and nothing even detected anything at all on these computers. Scanned with numerous adware and spyware scanners with no luck as well. I also did free online scans such as Kaspersky, Safety Scanner, and Housecall with nothing showing.

IMO the fastest way of getting the computer back up would be to back up important files and then reformat and install a fresh copy of XP.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X