• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice wanted: wireless printer

OK...
    I have 2 computers

A desktop running windows xp
    A laptop running windows vista.

so far, I've had trouble getting a network working between them (maybe another question for later)

I want the laptop to print, therefore I need something wireless... cause I don't want tohave to bring it to computer room and hook it to the printer.

Any advice on a cheap(er) wireless printer?

I need to buy a new printer anyway, as my HP Deskjet 932C has finally (after YEARS) given up the ghost - color won't work anymore, just the black and white.

Any suggestions? I'm not looking for a laser printer or anything. I've been doing some searching, but thought I'd ask here as part of the process.
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: advice wanted: wireless printer

Printer doesn't have to be wireless necessarily. You can get yourself set up with a wired Network printer that has its own Ip address and then can be found and printed to from any computer on your network, so if you're laptop is wireless on the same network it'll work. But that may or may not work well in a workgroup setting.

HP makes some ~$100 wired and wireless deskjet's. Don't really know how well they work because I've only used the LaserJet's in such a setup, but they're usually a tad more expensive. Think the cheapest LJ network is ~$250.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

We uses a D-Link wireless Print Server like this one (Okay no link.. "google DPR-1260 > RangeBooster G Multifunction Print Server") to do our wireless printing.

Works very well, and easy installation, just have update the firmware on it (done via USB connection between PC and it) and then you plug in the printer to it, and then you just access its IP address and install the server on your pc. Works very well :)

Then find a good cheap printer :) I got a HP Deskjet printer for only $20 (right before start of school)..
      Mat0!

Comment

Forgot about print servers. They basically turn any printer into a network printer. It's an extra thing to restart when stuff isn't printing, but it's not that big a deal. They usually work well enough.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

usrobotics makes a wireless router that has a built in usb print server. it works very well, and I use it at home. one LESS thing to try to fix if things aren't printing... the printer is hardwired usb, so no network setting to configure. there is not a separate print server to worry about b/c it is the router.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I currently have the Brother MFC-6490CW wireless printer connected to my network. It works great and I set it up in about 3 minutes. Dad bought it in a introductory sale at Micro Center for $200 a while back.

As for a wired network printer, try the Brother MFC-240C. You can usually find it at one of the big box retailers or your local Micro Center store on sale for $50 or less. It has a ethernet port on the inside with a built-in print server to allow you to set it up as a network printer.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i just got a new printer for christmas actually, a wireless Epson Artisan 800.

by far it is the nicest printer i have ever owned... separate paper trays allow you to have both photo and 8.5x11 paper in at same time, 6 separate ink cartridges, so no wasting when the blue runs out with 50% red left... ink is fairly cheap... 18 bux for a black high capacity, and same price for color high caps, it is wireless and ethernet, with a card reader and usb port ( which allows me to use my 320gb usb drive and the printer as a network hard drive (it gives it a drive letter and everything)
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                usrobotics makes a wireless router that has a built in usb print server. it works very well, and I use it at home. one LESS thing to try to fix if things aren't printing... the printer is hardwired usb, so no network setting to configure. there is not a separate print server to worry about b/c it is the router.
                I was also going to suggest a router with a built-in USB print server. I was going to suggest a D-Link router because they are pretty good N routers and if you're upgrading you might as well boost your networking while you're at it: http://www.dlink.ca/shareport/

Comment

When you're pricing a printer, check the prices on its ink cartridges. They often cost as much as the printer. A laser might end up being cheaper after one refill.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the places to look. I like the router idea because my old one is pretty old and could use replacing, but I also want a new printer...
                    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Scratch Monkey has it right. Lasers are workhorses and the printing is much cheaper than inkjet. Here: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/sea...aser%20printer

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        When you're pricing a printer, check the prices on its ink cartridges. They often cost as much as the printer. A laser might end up being cheaper after one refill.
                        HPs are very expensive! :(
                        Mat0!

Comment

Originally posted by Mato View Post
                          HPs are very expensive! :(
                          Aye, but they're reliable.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well as I just so happen to work retail, including selling printers, here is what I normally go over when assisting people with a printer purchase.

In terms of brand: Epson, Brother, HP, Lexmark, Canon, all make good printers (I haven't worked with Kodak so can't tell you anything there). The question is which one is best for your needs. There are two types of printers, laser and inkjet.

Laser printers offer clear text and a low operating cost, but in exchange have a higher start up cost, and are typically only black and white. Color lasers are available but due to cost I only recomend them for small/medium office use or rather for higher volume users. Black and white laser printers start at $100 but can be found lower on sale. Something with wireless would be closer to the $150 to $200 retail.

Inkjets are better in terms of color printing and start up cost. Inkjets are the typical home unit and specialize in photo printing, however most of the new model inkjets even rival laser in terms of text clarity. Inkjet printers start as low a $30, for wireless they start at about $100 or so.

Now that out of the way, the real question I should be asking (and normally would start with if you were a real customer of mine) is what are you going to be printing (text, photo's, random stuff from the net, black and white, or color?) and also how much are you going to be printing (10-20 sheets a day, a week, a month, a year?) Also are you looking for a printer or an All-In-One (Print/Copy/Scan). If you are looking at an All-In-One do you need fax capability? Also what price range are you trying to stick with in, and do you have any preference to a particular brand?

Now without knowing the answers to these questions, I just throw out a few random answers...

I like HP I've had good luck with them so I tent to recomend HP...

For a family or for a home office with light to medium print needs (less then 50 pages a week with wireless) I like the HP C4580. Print/Copy/Scan with wireless the unit uses the HP 74 and 75 ink series, but is also compatible withe the 74XL and 75XL high capacity. The 74 and 75 are cheap little cartridges good for low volume users, where as the XL are about twice the price but three times the ink for a better cost per print. The machine is photo capable, and includes a memory card reader as well as a small LCD screen that allows you to preview and print off all your photo's without turning on you PC.

For people with a little higher print needs or if you want to focus more on photo printing the HP C6380 is a good choice. Again Print/Copy/Scan with wireless this unit uses individual ink cartridges so you only have to replace each color as needed. It seems to be using Canon technology in the print head (the print head is the part that take the ink and transfers it to the page) that based on prior models has proven to be quite stable and can withstand abuse far better then Epson print heads*. This machine also includes a memory card reader as well as a larger LCD screen that allows you to preview and print off all your photo's. All in all for a focus on photo's a good choice.

Next on the list is the HP J4680 Print/Copy/Scan and Fax with wireless. Not the best for photo's although it IS photo capable. This is your entry level All-In-One with Fax and wireless by HP.

Well that is three of the more popular entry level models for: Basic Home, Photo, and Home Office. I hope this give you a few ideas. And if you have any questions feel free to ask. Like I said I work retail, I sell each and every one of these models in question, and no I'm not paid on commission ;)

~ Draken

*What do I mean by this? Well Epson printers like Brother as well are machines that like to get used. The print head in these machines are built into the machine, unlike most HP's were the print head is built into the cartridge. As you print it flushes ink through the print head keeping the print head clean and clear. If you don't print the print head will start to dry out and clog up. Epson machines run cleaning cycles to prevent the print head from clogging when not in use, however these cleaning cycles waste ink. If you print on a regular basis, once or twice a week, you should be fine. Less then that however and you run the risk of the print head drying out and turning your printer into a brick. Best example I can give: Teachers. They use their Epsons all year round no problem, but if they leave it in their class over the summer, when they come back in the fall the machine is a paper weight.

HP, Canon, and Lexmark (Dell too since they are Lexmark printers with Dell's name stamped on them) are FAR less likely to clog due to lack of use. Thus I recomend them for the lower volume user.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              I currently have the Brother MFC-6490CW wireless printer connected to my network. It works great and I set it up in about 3 minutes. Dad bought it in a introductory sale at Micro Center for $200 a while back.

As for a wired network printer, try the Brother MFC-240C. You can usually find it at one of the big box retailers or your local Micro Center store on sale for $50 or less. It has a ethernet port on the inside with a built-in print server to allow you to set it up as a network printer.
                              The Brother MFC series is pretty good. I just got the 8879DW for my office and it's pretty good. I'm having some trouble getting everybody set up for scanning, but the trick is to disable the firewalls during setup.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X