Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What improvements do I need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What improvements do I need?

    Hey!

    I currently have a system build up from scratch.. but I still find it hard to believe that it can still struggle in games like Arma with these settings

    Normal Med/Normal
    High Low
    High Med/Normal
    Low High
    Low

    View distance 2000

    and still I get tremendous lag/low fps when entering cities like Somato and Corazol, or even if I look at forests.


    This is what I got
    System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Motherboard: Asus P5KC
    Memory: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    CPU: Intel E6750 2.66 GHZ Dual Core
    GPU: nVidia 8800 GTS 640mb
    Fan: Stock (seen people getting 2.8k RPM as standard, when I only get 2k all the time and rarely 2.1k (mostly when im not doing anything heavy)
    PSU: 500W 2.0 Powerplus (I think)

    This is what I have for now... I was thinking about getting 64bit Vista and a bigger PSU along with some new fans.


    If you guys need more information just haul at me...

    *edit

    Resolution is at 1680x1050
    60Hz

    even at arcadia i get 22 or below in FPS at 1200 in distance
    Last edited by Mato; 12-30-2008, 04:25 PM.
    Mat0!

  • #2
    Re: What improvements do I need?

    I'm guessing arma is either CPU intensive or GPU intensive.

    If its CPU then I would OC that E6750. I have an E6750 running at 3.2 GHz (with the stock cooler around 1.26V) right now and it a big improvement over the stock speed and noticeable on boot ups.

    if its GPU intensive I would suggest making sure your drivers are up to date and if that doesn't help upgrade your graphics card, may be an HD4850 or something mainstraem or higher if you have the cash.

    you should have enough ram, and unless your overheating I would not worry about the fans. if by fan you mean your CPU heatsink my E6750 runs at 2K RPM and idles around 24C with temps not getting over 40C

    I don't play arma so take my advice with a grain of salt but bamboo or similar can give advice since they play the game.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What improvements do I need?

      I have a system less than yours and run at setting at or above yours at 1600x1200 with out any problems I can think of.

      3850 and 2 gigs of ram. My FPS will go down to around 30, maybe 25. I don't play multi-player though.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What improvements do I need?

        Its a cpu intensive game... but its ridiculous .

        Reaper, My CPU idles at 40'c and when playing games 45- 52'c
        Mat0!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What improvements do I need?

          what temperature utility are you using?

          I have a few and can see but that is quite high. could be that your voltage got turned way up some how or your heatsink is not seated properly.

          my Asus P5k-e has a built in monitoring tool and I use that most of the time, check to see if you have something called asus PC probe
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What improvements do I need?

            Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
            what temperature utility are you using?

            I have a few and can see but that is quite high. could be that your voltage got turned way up some how or your heatsink is not seated properly.

            my Asus P5k-e has a built in monitoring tool and I use that most of the time, check to see if you have something called asus PC probe
            Im using PC probe

            *edit

            Well it could be that the heatsink is not seated right.... we had trouble and battled with it to get on... because it seemed that one side would never be connected as the other side disconnected... sorta like it have springs on it to stabilize it...

            and how do i post screenshots?
            Last edited by Mato; 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM.
            Mat0!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What improvements do I need?

              You might not have enough posts on the forums to post screen shots yet. I think you have to have 15 or something.

              As far as your rig, yeah, the PSU is cutting it pretty close. Is powerplus the name brand, because I have never heard of that even. When your rig starts running out of juice, the GPU can throttle itself back to cope. That could be happening.

              ARMA is a bit CPU intensive, and a good bit GPU as well. The thing is some people will killer rigs still don't get as good a fps as some people with weak rigs. It is one of the downsides of ARMA. I have my q6600 overclocked to 3.0, and ARMA keeps 1 core about 75% busy while gaming. But I also have a 8800GTS 640mb and I have FPS crashes as well, so it has to be the GPU bottlenecking (my memory is only at like 50%).

              I am looking at upgrading my Gfx card to get ready for OPF2 and ARMA2.

              If you are asking what you should do to upgrade, I would look at getting a good solid like 650watt PSU, and overclocking your CPU a bit and see if that helps. I think I am going to try and hold out on the Gfx card upgrade till the next version of ATI comes out, like the 5870 or what ever replaces the 4870. It should be out they are saying in 2Q 2009, so about the same time as ARMA2.

              If you have the cash and want to buy now, I recommend a 4870 1gig card or one of the new Nvidia 260 55nm cards we are talking about in another current thread right now. Both are going for around $250.

              If you have any more questions or need some info about PSUs, let us know and we can suggest some.

              As a side note, have you done all the usual stuff like defraging your hard drive, running Ccleaner regularly, etc. Also, how old is your Vista install?

              LINKS

              * *


              Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

              -Carlos A. Urbizo-

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What improvements do I need?

                Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                You might not have enough posts on the forums to post screen shots yet. I think you have to have 15 or something.

                As far as your rig, yeah, the PSU is cutting it pretty close. Is powerplus the name brand, because I have never heard of that even. When your rig starts running out of juice, the GPU can throttle itself back to cope. That could be happening.

                ARMA is a bit CPU intensive, and a good bit GPU as well. The thing is some people will killer rigs still don't get as good a fps as some people with weak rigs. It is one of the downsides of ARMA. I have my q6600 overclocked to 3.0, and ARMA keeps 1 core about 75% busy while gaming. But I also have a 8800GTS 640mb and I have FPS crashes as well, so it has to be the GPU bottlenecking (my memory is only at like 50%).

                I am looking at upgrading my Gfx card to get ready for OPF2 and ARMA2.

                If you are asking what you should do to upgrade, I would look at getting a good solid like 650watt PSU, and overclocking your CPU a bit and see if that helps. I think I am going to try and hold out on the Gfx card upgrade till the next version of ATI comes out, like the 5870 or what ever replaces the 4870. It should be out they are saying in 2Q 2009, so about the same time as ARMA2.

                If you have the cash and want to buy now, I recommend a 4870 1gig card or one of the new Nvidia 260 55nm cards we are talking about in another current thread right now. Both are going for around $250.

                If you have any more questions or need some info about PSUs, let us know and we can suggest some.

                As a side note, have you done all the usual stuff like defraging your hard drive, running Ccleaner regularly, etc. Also, how old is your Vista install?
                I did some House cleaning on my PC today and defraged and virus scanned along with Adware, not Ccleaner. and really didnt help for Arma.. though for Crysis... it gave me another 10 fps, just what i needed for that game.

                But I think its the PSU killing the power, been running some programs to figure out where my power goes, as fraps suggest midways thru games the FPS Crash and then not... but there is this one website I dont remember that calculate approx. need for power. Told me im on the Border line... so I prolly need a new PSU

                But With ACE, the Game is just horribly slow, and I decided to uninstall it... still have many bugs and too thirsty for power... So im going to wait for ArmA 2, so i can save up money for goodies :)
                Mat0!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What improvements do I need?

                  ArmA is a bad choice of game for determining system power. It is just one of those games that doesn't run really fast.

                  I have played it on two systems and three different video cards and none of them have made the game screaming fast.

                  I had a single core system with the 8800GTS 640mb and with a mix of settings would dip down as low as 18fps in a forest. I then borrowed an 8800GT and with the same settings was able to turn on 2xAA and not drop below 20fps in the exact same spot.

                  I now have a Q6600 with a 4870 512mb and I'm able to put most settings up with 2xAA and 16AF. If I put up the AA to 4xAA I get some lag. The game runs much smoother now but still not as smooth as most every other game I play. It's just the nature of the beast I think. I just try and find the best settings that keep the game above the low 20fps range in the forest and enjoy it :row1_14:

                  One things for sure the 8800GTS 640mb is getting long in the tooth. I overclocked mine and gained a some frames in ArmA.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What improvements do I need?

                    I'm running a similar system and ArmA runs very well at 1920x1280.

                    E6400 @3Ghz
                    2GB RAM
                    8800GT
                    Seasonic 500W

                    The PSU could be an issue. Check the amps on the 12V line(s). It's hard to tell since insufficient PSU wattage can show in a variety of ways.

                    Try getting a new PSU first since that seems to be on your list of upgrades. Although, be open to the thought of a defective video card as well.

                    - It's who you game with.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What improvements do I need?

                      Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                      One things for sure the 8800GTS 640mb is getting long in the tooth. I overclocked mine and gained a some frames in ArmA.
                      I'm feeling the same thing. But I have random crashes when I overclock. It could be stable for a few days, then crash. Or it could do it 2-3 times in one night. I am still having random video card driver crashes in ARMA, where the screen blacks out for a while, then later when you exit the game you get the notice about the crash.

                      I quit trying to overclock a while back and it has helped the all out full crashes for the most part, but not the driver crashes.

                      LINKS

                      * *


                      Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

                      -Carlos A. Urbizo-

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What improvements do I need?

                        Yeah, overclocking a video card isn't worth much. Even though it could give you an extra 2-5 FPS, it takes a lot of testing and tweaking to get a stable overclock. It's a lot of work for something so little.

                        - It's who you game with.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What improvements do I need?

                          Originally posted by Mato View Post
                          GPU: nVidia 8800 GTS 640mb
                          Is that the old generation GTS or the current generation GTS?
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

                          Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





                          SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

                          TG Primer and Rules

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What improvements do I need?

                            Doh! the 640MB can only be a G80 core not G92
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What improvements do I need?

                              Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Is that the old generation GTS or the current generation GTS?
                              old generation
                              Mat0!

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X