Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop guide (Mac related)

Hello all at Tactical Gamer!

I was looking at semi-random websites looking for better clues etc and realized that 'Hey! Why don't I post in this forum to get some help from fellow gamers"
    So here it is. I need to purchase a laptop.
    To travel with and to play with on those boring nights if I do get to play.

Currently I am nearly dead set on buying the MacBook Pro at this time. Specially, since the Bootcamp feature was added to all Macs.
    Specifically, the MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz previous model lastest revision.
    The specs of that notebook is as follows;
    2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    250GB HD @ 5400rpm
    512MB Nvidia Geforce 8600M
    15.4" screen

Now the question is, does anyone here at Tactical Gamer own such a rig? or similar? and if so have they tried playing ArmA:Armed Assault on it?
    If you do have the game and have a mac of similar spec. What is your opinion?
    How is the framerate? Any hardware lags? etc etc

Your help would very much be appreciated!

Yours,
    LowSpeedHighDrag

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Re: Laptop guide (Mac related)

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
    Hello all at Tactical Gamer!

I was looking at semi-random websites looking for better clues etc and realized that 'Hey! Why don't I post in this forum to get some help from fellow gamers"
    So here it is. I need to purchase a laptop.
    To travel with and to play with on those boring nights if I do get to play.

Currently I am nearly dead set on buying the MacBook Pro at this time. Specially, since the Bootcamp feature was added to all Macs.
    Specifically, the MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz previous model lastest revision.
    The specs of that notebook is as follows;
    2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    250GB HD @ 5400rpm
    512MB Nvidia Geforce 8600M
    15.4" screen

Now the question is, does anyone here at Tactical Gamer own such a rig? or similar? and if so have they tried playing ArmA:Armed Assault on it?
    If you do have the game and have a mac of similar spec. What is your opinion?
    How is the framerate? Any hardware lags? etc etc

Your help would very much be appreciated!

Yours,
    LowSpeedHighDrag
    You might have a tough time playing ArmA on the 8600M. It's only slightly better than a 7600 series desktop card.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, I realize that the graphics card isnt up to par with ArmAs crazy need for super components but there's got to be at least 1 or 2 members here that played the game with Macbook Pros. I can deal with a good 2k viewdistance with all medium settings with constant 30+ fps.
      Anything is better than 1,2k viewdistance with all low settings with 15~32fps.

Anyone?...anyone?

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Yeah, I realize that the graphics card isnt up to par with ArmAs crazy need for super components but there's got to be at least 1 or 2 members here that played the game with Macbook Pros. I can deal with a good 2k viewdistance with all medium settings with constant 30+ fps.
        Anything is better than 1,2k viewdistance with all low settings with 15~32fps.

Anyone?...anyone?
        I have my doubts anyone here dreams of playing ArmA on his/her MacBook Pro. They just aren't made for gaming. Plus I've heard Windows emulation actually causes a performance drop in games on Macs.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

mac is not "emulating" windows. it is running it full out.

My wife's boss has that exact setup, and my 1720 beats it. I have 4gig of ram and he has 2x the video ram.

I run circles around him on everyday stuff.

He might catch-up ingame. I still think you can get more laptop for less money on the pc side of things.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
            mac is not "emulating" windows. it is running it full out.
            Okay.

Well, get it if you want it. I would have re-thought my approach to gaming on a notebook. (Maybe a cheap Macbook for portability and its applications and then a tower for gaming.)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
              My wife's boss has that exact setup, and my 1720 beats it. I have 4gig of ram and he has 2x the video ram.

I run circles around him on everyday stuff.

He might catch-up ingame. I still think you can get more laptop for less money on the pc side of things.
              The type of feed back I need. (no offense, Acreo Aeneas)
              Well, I'll be getting for less than $800 for it brand new. (due to exchange rates) So to me it's a bargain. Well, if you call any of the Apple products a bargain then in my book you're well off. Kudos...moving on :P

Also, after many years of using windows (ME,2000,XP) and Vista being an absolute (in my book) useless piece of engineering.
              I decided to go the other route. (Technically, I was an Apple user from the days of IIe's. So it's not like I'm going into it with a blindfold.)

So here I am looking at this deal, but like others I have become a price consumer rather than an impulsive one I was. Which is a good thing, my other half tells me.
              However, $800 or not. It's still $800. Hence my reluctance in decision making.

On a positive note, I did happen to come across a video of someone who owns I suppose a similiar set up and posted his/her ArmA game play. Although, it was really badly done. I think he/she was using a camera. Not internal motion capture program. Which would have been ideal. Which is a shame because, if that video was any good I would have been sold and one less problem in my tiny life.

I have to admit though, I have been looking around for Windows based gaming laptops and they are far more expensive than the deal mentioned above. Unless I don't know anything about the recent Core-2-Duo/Quad systems. (I still use my old Amd Xp 2700, 2GB, 512mb X1600pro card-agp and yes, I suffer due to low framerates and I need to take a long break from watching anything on the screen)

So...that's the full story behind this post.

Anymore anyone? Please help this newbie out!

p.s. what is the 1720?

LowSpeedHighDrag

Comment

sorry. I have a dell inspiron 1720.

c2d 2.4
                4gig pc2 6400
                2x 320gig 16meg cache wd 7200rpm black edition hdd
                gf 8600 gt 256meg (overclocked to desktop speeds)
                blu-ray / wuxga 1920x1200 / 16gig mini pci-e ssd for pagefile and turbocache

and if I could get that macbook for 800... I would do it in a heartbeat.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

The type of feed back I need. (no offense, Acreo Aeneas)
                  No problem. I think I got a wee bit out of hand. Apologies to you and DdogG (maybe I should type "Dog" from now on). :)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X