PS3? What can it REALLY Do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3? What can it REALLY Do?

Hi Folks.. I have been looking at getting a PS3..love the interface..love the IDEA of Blu-Ray... but what can it really do? I mean..does it have Homebrew yet? Does it run alternative OS's... etc..? Games are secondary for me .. I come from a Modded XBOX background (in the Console world).. so I just wanna be able to do "Stuff...

Let me know if you have your PS3 jumping through hoops SONY didn't intend on (thats a sign of a good console!)..

THANKS
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: PS3? What can it REALLY Do?

Actually, it has a semi-officially-supported Linux that you can install and have it run almost like a desktop. That way when you boot up you decide if you want to run Linux or the normal Sony interface.

There are tons of guides on how to do it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

It's also easier than the 360 to upgrade the harddrive. Other than that, it doesn't have much moddability. It used to be a pretty good system to get Blu-ray and gaming. If you're not interested in the games, you can get a Blu-ray player much cheaper.

I think the Linux OS for it can't utilize the graphics chip so there isn't any graphics acceleration. It's good for web browsing and playing videos. In some sense, it'll be a cheap HTPC. I'm not sure if the Linux OS can use the Blu-ray player though. So you might have to reboot to the PS3 OS to play Blu-ray.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        I'm not sure if the Linux OS can use the Blu-ray player though. So you might have to reboot to the PS3 OS to play Blu-ray.
        Ooh.. That would be ashame.. I know that there are several HTPC software suites out there that would work well will a Blu-Ray - HD setup... Kinda like a DVR..

I think the 360 may have an edge just because of the Netflix deal..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Actually supposedly you can play the blue ray player in Linux...

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2007/04/...iscs-in-linux/

However I just use it straight out of the PS3 mode...LOL!

One thing that amazes me about the PS3 that it really hasn't been hacked/modded like the Wii or XBOX 360. There has been a few things that come close to getting home brew but still nothing solid. The PSP can be but not the PS3 as of yet.

But the PS3 does allow you to change out hard drives or pretty much add any USB device you wish and it works. The 360 you are "supposed" to buy their hard drive.

Now the PS3 has some new movie watching deal similar to Netflix. I haven't checked it out on mine yet but I will. I know the Netflix works on the 360 pretty good but the complaint is they are OLD movies.

PS3 I am having an easier time using it as a Media player for all the Movies I have ripped to my Hard Drive. I use TVersity and it works like a charm. With the 360 I had to make sure I updated the Windows Media Player working then something with an extender. PS3 there is the "Find Media Servers Button".

Truthfully I have fun on all 3 Systems. There are some things I like better on the 360 then the PS3 and then there are some things I like better on the PS3 then the 360.

Also PS3 has free online gaming!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Thanks for the info Quest.. I do do alot of Movie Watching - DIVX/XVID format etc.. Does the Ps3 support the Popular Compressed formats? Like can you stick a thumbdrive in it and play the contents?
            Also.. What Kinda Audio out is there? (Digital?)
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I know once you have your PS3 registered or whatever you wanna call it through Divx you can watch a movie from a thumb drive.
              I haven't fooled around with my PS3 to much, I figured I have a computer that does almost all the stuff I want. The PS3 was meant mainly for gaming and BR movies when I purchased it, I didn't have intentions of doing a lot of stuff with it as some do, I may access the internet every once in a while though but not to often.
              Some of your questions may be answered by looking at their comparison data.
              http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Systems/Compare

I think what a lot of people lately are getting so upset about with the PS3 is they claim the newer PS3 systems are not backwards compatible anymore. At least not able to play PS2 games but will play some PSOne games. Look at the bottom of the comparison charts I gave a link to about backwards compatibility.

Comment

If you can use the Blu-ray drive in Linux then it'll be able to handle anything. Just get the right codec or player and it's an instant HTPC.

The PS3 OS is also able to recognize many devices, like Quest mentioned. Plug in the device and it'll show up in the media list. It's probably better to use Linux though. The PS3 doesn't recognize all formats.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                  I know once you have your PS3 registered or whatever you wanna call it through Divx you can watch a movie from a thumb drive.
                  Register? I watch Divx movies on my PS3 all the time and have never registered for anything other than the PSN. Wait. We're talking about the Divx codec, and not the other Divx thing, right?

In order to watch it from a thumbdrive, you would have to have the directories properly labeled. Simple enough...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

In time the PS3 will have just as many mods as the PS2 just give the DEVs time it was years before the PS2 was moded PS3 is still fairly new as of now they are working on a modchip the 360 allready has one.
                    |TG| Plude220

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      Register? I watch Divx movies on my PS3 all the time and have never registered for anything other than the PSN. Wait. We're talking about the Divx codec, and not the other Divx thing, right?

In order to watch it from a thumbdrive, you would have to have the directories properly labeled. Simple enough...
                      I never attempted to watch a Divx movie on my PS3, just what I had read about needing to register through the Divx web site or Playstation.com(not sure which one it was) in order to watch a Divx movie on the PS3.

Comment

what is the reason behind not being able to use the gpu for 3d acceleration on linux