Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive fails to boot

Hi ,
    I am in trouble with my machine. About 4.5 years ago I bout a PC from my co-worker back in Boston. I don't think I got the operating system on a disk from him with any key. In any event I dont have the operating system on any disk and I don't think the HD is is usable at all any more.

Can anyone tell me what my options are other than a new PC or purchassing a new HD (which is ok) and also a new operating system (ugghh). I don't have much money right now and am trying to figure something out. The drive that crashed is Maxtor Diamondmax plus 9 80GB SATA drive.

Re: Hard drive fails to boot

www.NewEgg.com

I would go for a new SATA (Western Digital or Seagate) with a copy of XP OEM

WD 80 GB SATA - $35.99*
    or
    WD 640 GB SATA - $66.99*

Combine that with an OEM version of XP Pro - $139.99*

Most PC repair places will cost you at least $100 just to look at it, they may not be able to fix it... If you have a friend in I.T. I would beg for a favor, or you are going to be stuck with a rebuild. Sorry man.

~ Draken

*Prices at time of posting; as with all things on the net subject to change.

Comment

Thanks man I may try getting s new HD and just buy a new operating system. It looks like you recomend XP-Pro not vista huh?

Comment

Vista is fine, but not for a 4.5 year old machine. Go with XP Pro unless you're planning on a FULL rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by [AGB]Quasae View Post
          Vista is fine, but not for a 4.5 year old machine. Go with XP Pro unless you're planning on a FULL rebuild.
          Or a Linux distro (like Ubuntu) unless your work on that computer completely is tied to Windows.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey Blood, Sorry to hear about you're pc trouble. Now we know why you haven't been on POE for a while.

As for as buying a new OS, I agree with Quasae to go with XP Pro given the age of your system (Linex is also an option it, but as AA suggested, it may not be compatible with certain Windows apps). So for XP, may I suggest this website: http://cdsfu.com/index.php?categoryID=87, which is not only a great price for XP Pro but also offers Unlimited Installs so you can install it on any computer 0r hard drive you have or get in the future. I bought the XP version from them and am very pleased. After installing, you can also run the updates to download SP3 as well. A great bargain!

Hard Drives: please check your HD cable to the mobo before you order an SATA drive as a few older PC's use IDE connectors. The good news is the price of HD's has dropped lately and as DrakenViator noted, the price of a larger HD is just a bit more than your original 80GB. The main criteria I'd look for is a HD with minimum 16MB cache. I'd also go with a 500GB (7200rpm) or greater depending on your budget. I've had good luck with Western Digital.

Good luck,

Zippy

:icon_frow
            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
            sigpic

Comment

you can consider linux just buy the HDD since it is a rather old machine and use linux

Comment

Yeah Zippy that has to be HACKED SOFTWARE there is NO way in heck Microsoft would ever put out 'unlimited' licensing for XP. I would avoid that place if I were you.

~ Draken

EDIT... Yeah if you read their "disclaimer" it proves it is hacked...

By pressing this button you agree that you are purchasing the software that does NOT include any COA label or a sticker from the manufacturer & comes on a CD ,There is no technical support provided by the software manufacturer. You can still get automatic updates. You will receive the Full version on CD & a volume license key number only. All the software we offer in the English language only

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                  Yeah Zippy that has to be HACKED SOFTWARE there is NO way in heck Microsoft would ever put out 'unlimited' licensing for XP. I would avoid that place if I were you.

~ Draken

Actually, it might not be hacked exactly. It says it's a Volume License, which is a bit different than single sticker copies.

Volume licensing with MS is pretty common. You buy 100 or 1000 copies of XP and get a single license code for them, which you put on whatever computers you want. You can do unlimited installs because of the volume nature, so long as you don't have more installs than your purchased amount, which is tracked with the activations. The company I work for does this with Office for some of our larger clients. Saves having to keep track of 100 different license keys.

What I think might be shady is their selling it to random people. VLA's are generally sold for intra-company use and not for resale, but I haven't read the EULA recently to be sure.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    Actually, it might not be hacked exactly. It says it's a Volume License, which is a bit different than single sticker copies...

...What I think might be shady is their selling it to random people. VLA's are generally sold for intra-company use and not for resale, but I haven't read the EULA recently to be sure.
                    You got me on that one. Yet I know there is at least one person sitting in prison right now for fraud for buying 'student' software only to turn around and sell it as 'fully licensed.'

In short NOT worth it...

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post

~ Draken

Yea, I thought of that too, but the CD's are just like my oem cd's except they say "Version 2004 - Corporate" and at the bottom below the CD key "unattended". As spyder mentioned, I thought these to be volume licensed for business use as our IT depertment has the same type of CD's.

I've had them for 8 months now and installed them on four different PC's (1 with a dual boot steup: XP/Vista) without any trouble - even after continuously running the (auto)updates.

But, who knows these days...

sigpic

Comment

[Going further off topic]
                        My Brother in law is a network tech and there are fakes out there that he, despite working with install CD's daily, can't tell the difference between a hack CD and a real one. There was one copy of Office that a client provided that it took him a few weeks to figure out it was a fake, and even then it was only because of an unrelated issue that the stumbled across the truth.

Just it is way to questionable for me...

[/off topic]

~ Draken

Comment

Yes Draken, I totally see your point, and I'm not trying to advocate buying bootleg software. Heaven knows nobody here uses any hacked programs.;)

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. My PC has a Radeon 9700GT pro 128mB video with a 3GHz Pentium with a ASUS MB sproting a SATA direct connect. I suppose its good enough for now to invest in a new operating system and HD and then build a new machine when I get the cash. Is there a way to overclock my video card or add another one like it to boost my graphics perf later?

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                              Actually, it might not be hacked exactly. It says it's a Volume License, which is a bit different than single sticker copies.

Volume licensing with MS is pretty common. You buy 100 or 1000 copies of XP and get a single license code for them, which you put on whatever computers you want. You can do unlimited installs because of the volume nature, so long as you don't have more installs than your purchased amount, which is tracked with the activations. The company I work for does this with Office for some of our larger clients. Saves having to keep track of 100 different license keys.

What I think might be shady is their selling it to random people. VLA's are generally sold for intra-company use and not for resale, but I haven't read the EULA recently to be sure.
                              I'm pretty sure the MS VLA does not allow each license to be resold by itself (especially not what that business is doing).

I'd recommend a new computer and a new HDD for your current ancient one. Then put Linux on the old one. :) Much speedier than XP.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X