No announcement yet.

Roku Netflix Player..anyone out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roku Netflix Player..anyone out there?

Hey Folks...anyone plunked down $100.00 for a ROKU Netflix streaming player yet? I have been tempted as of late.. Let me know your opinions... Thanks!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Roku Netflix Player..anyone out there?

I have watched tons of Netflix on my reg. computer, and not sure if I would want to stream them to my normal TV. Most of them are movies I have seen before or not important enough to devote my full attention to.

I am interested though in all the new Blueray players that do the same thing ROKU does, and yesterday LG just announced that their TVs are going to do it as well, so you wouldn't need a sep. player.

There is lots of talk about it on this site:

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I thought about getting it for a bit but ended up getting the Samsung BD-2550 which does Netflix HD streaming and Pandora Internet Radio streaming. It's also a great Blu-ray player with HQV upconversion for your standard DVD's.

Comment

Originally posted by [AGB]Quasae View Post
        I thought about getting it for a bit but ended up getting the Samsung BD-2550 which does Netflix HD streaming and Pandora Internet Radio streaming. It's also a great Blu-ray player with HQV upconversion for your standard DVD's.
        Pandora Too!!?? Wow NICE!!!
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
          I have watched tons of Netflix on my reg. computer, and not sure if I would want to stream them to my normal TV. Most of them are movies I have seen before or not important enough to devote ....[/url]
          Ok..But someday they will have "Zombie Strippers!" I promise!
          But if you could do without Blu-Ray (Which I certainly can at this point)...the Roku seems to be a cheaper alternative and will stream Netflix just as well (and Wirelessly) as a BlueRay/LG player... Correct? I am just not a videophile.. I just like watching Movies..free..
          And they reportedly did a HD rollout this month...which I am sure is Flakey and Bandwith dependant... but it's all Free Viewing for a netflix customer ..
          And ROKU is $99.00
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I'm in the same boat peardog. I don't want to drop $250 on a player as we don't even have an HDTV at this point.

I've been on the fence about the Roku as well. From what I can tell it's the only $99 player that has wireless built in, which is huge for me.

Having said that, we rent most of our movies via RedBox so I'm actually hoping Roku adds Hulu support sometime soon. They do that and I'll buy one for sure. I'm more interested in being able to stream Hulu to the TV for a one-time $99 cost. We'd use the Roku more to stream TV shows (The Office anyone? You can never watch enough of The Office!) then to watch movies.

I know it's not really made for streaming but we got a Wii for Christmas and supposedly PlayOn! is adding Wii support in 2009 so I may hold off until I see what that is like. If only the Wii supported Flash 9 so Hulu could stream via it directly.

Comment

I went and Ordered a Roku...I think you get 6 months of Netflix for free with it..so that may be worth it also.. I am not familiar with Redbox?? ... Oh..I think on Netflix you can watch the old episodes of the office.but not quite HULU.. but I agree HULU rocks..
              I also will check on PlayOn! ...I have a Wii also.. so that may be cool..

Thanks for the info..
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                Yep, it's total awesomenessessesess!! There are 2 models, the BD-2550(BestBuy) and the BD-2500(everywhere else). I could be wrong but from what I can tell, only the BD-2550 does Pandora.

If you can do without Blu-Ray, I say go for it (RoKu)! And I just added "Zombie Strippers" to my Instant Queue! :row1_7:

Comment

I use the Windows Media Center plugin to watch stuff from netflix on my TV.

You can also use a XBox to watch Netflix on your TV.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    I use the Windows Media Center plugin to watch stuff from netflix on my TV.

You can also use a XBox to watch Netflix on your TV.
                    I almost jumped at the XBOX 360 as my "reason"/excuse to get one.. but I know I would wanna play and she would wanna watch TV.. a domestic would ensue.. I'll stick to my computer room I guess..
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

If I remember correctly the Roku box does amazon's thing too
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                        Haha I looked at it on Amazon and those idiots are selling it for $725
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Heh.. GRRRR... This is Typical in the Geek World.. buy one think like the Roku..and this comes out in a few months ( http://i.gizmodo.com/5125266/netgear...u-feel-like-it ) ...

Bleh..
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Roku report.. My First few days into it and I must say I am impressed. It works well on my average Broadband connection.. I am going wirelessly from ROKU to my B/G Linksys in the other room.. but no video artifact(ing) at this point. Speed seems good.. Like 15-30 secs to start a movie once you select it. Roku updates pretty quickly from the Netflix site.. and yes you have to do all your netflix selections online and put them into an INSTANT Que before it will show up on the ROKU.....but once there they are listed and you can watch in any order.
                            You can quit whenever and resume watching at that point and Roku remembers where you left off. So far so good for a NON Videophile who just wants to watch average movies at max 720P..
                            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

We use my XBox 360 and it works very well, not crazy about the interface really, but the quality if pretty good. We recently had to move our 20" iMac into our bedroom (our old office is now a baby room) and I installed Understudy, a plugin for Front Row, and it works fairly well too, though not as good as the XBox.

I have to say, being able to watch Netflix movies/shows on the XBox has brought new value to both the XBox and to our Netflix account.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X