Vista SP2 and Wireless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista SP2 and Wireless

I just wanted to post this for those of us annoyed by Vista constantly searching for a new wireless network (before, during, and after our gaming sessions).

SP2 will fix that problem.

Hurray! I can now go back to wireless. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Vista SP2 and Wireless

sweet, I guess I will no longer have to use VAL to solve that problem.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Nope. Although, VAL never worked for me.

Hopefully, it'll fix the wired ethernet connection when coming out of Sleep mode too.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Any REAL hint as to SP2's release date?

:icon_frow
        |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
        sigpic

Comment

YAY! I hope the stupid auto-config vanishes from existence eternally!!!

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

i must be lucky, i have 4 computers hooked up to my linksys wireless router, none of witch have any wireless problems !!! (and one XP that has constant wireless problems.... wont stay connected if you do ANYTHING to it)
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy-2-War View Post
              Any REAL hint as to SP2's release date?
              I just keep hearing a single word: "soon".

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
              YAY! I hope the stupid auto-config vanishes from existence eternally!!!
              Not sure which "auto-config" you're talking about. I do know that there will the right-click pop-up menu when you click on the network icon in your system tray. That should help a lot of us out from having to go through several different panels in order to get to the networking option we want to change/update.

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
              i must be lucky, i have 4 computers hooked up to my linksys wireless router, none of witch have any wireless problems !!! (and one XP that has constant wireless problems.... wont stay connected if you do ANYTHING to it)
              *shrugs* I read around that Linksys wireless cards with Linksys routers solves this issue, but then I've heard and read on other forums where it doesn't work. So I am at a loss as to why this doesn't affect some but affects others.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Hopefully, it'll fix the wired ethernet connection when coming out of Sleep mode too.
                Which issue are you running into?

I'm finding a lot of tray icons disappear after coming out of sleep. Notably CoreTemp and OpenVPN GUI. And sometimes they don't appear at login and I have to kill the processes and restart them. (I start them from the scheduler, using the "start at login" event, to avoid the permissions issue.)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  Which issue are you running into?

I'm finding a lot of tray icons disappear after coming out of sleep. Notably CoreTemp and OpenVPN GUI. And sometimes they don't appear at login and I have to kill the processes and restart them. (I start them from the scheduler, using the "start at login" event, to avoid the permissions issue.)
                  I can't surf the web after coming out of sleep mode because for some reason it only reconnects me to the LAN but doesn't seem to allow me internet access.

I end up having to disable/reenable the network adapter in order to surf the web.

I haven't experienced your problem.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I can't surf the web after coming out of sleep mode because for some reason it only reconnects me to the LAN but doesn't seem to allow me internet access.
                    Can you elaborate? What does "reconnects me to the LAN" mean? What does "ipconfig/all" show?

It sounds like something assigned you an IP address but no gateway or DNS servers, but hard to tell. Or perhaps the NIC assigned itself an autoconfig address (the kind that starts with 169) because it couldn't contact your DHCP server. That would mean the MAC layer wasn't up when the OS came out of sleep and didn't attempt a lease.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      Can you elaborate? What does "reconnects me to the LAN" mean? What does "ipconfig/all" show?

It sounds like something assigned you an IP address but no gateway or DNS servers, but hard to tell. Or perhaps the NIC assigned itself an autoconfig address (the kind that starts with 169) because it couldn't contact your DHCP server. That would mean the MAC layer wasn't up when the OS came out of sleep and didn't attempt a lease.
                      Sorry some of that just went right over my head (forgot what some of it means due to disuse).

I'll try and elaborate.

Normally, if I hover my mouse cursor over the little network adapter icon in my system tray, the pop-up will read:
                      Home Net
                      Connected to:
                      Local Area Network and Internet
                      After coming out of sleep mode, it'll read:
                      Home Net
                      Connected to:
                      LAN Only
                      In the rare instances, it might read:
                      Home Net
                      Connected to:
                      LAN Only

Multiple Networks Detected
                      That's the simplest explanation I can come up with.

As for the DHCP settings, it's automatic through my Linksys router.

I'm thinking it might be the fact that when in sleep mode, my onboard network adapter gets turned off (and disconnected) and has to be "restarted" once I come back out of sleep.

I honestly didn't have this specific problem with my wireless card.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Post the results of "ipconfig /all" before and after it starts working. What NIC and driver is failing? (Vendor, model, version, driver version.)

Comment

I'll remember to do that the next time I have the problem.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've sent you a PM with screenshots of the "ipconfig /all" command line window from Before Sleep Mode, After Coming out of Sleep Mode, and After Disabling/Re-Enabling my ethernet device.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've sent you a PM with screenshots of the "ipconfig /all" command line window from Before Sleep Mode, After Coming out of Sleep Mode, and After Disabling/Re-Enabling my ethernet device.
                              I don't see a difference in them, either. All 3 look like they have proper addresses and service addresses.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X