ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Issue

For my first computer build, I selected the ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard for the Intel Core i7 920 processor. I had read all the manuals and reading on building a computer that a person could find. I also had an family friend who happened to be a professional along to supervise the build.

The first P6T motherboard I received seemed perfect, until I inserted the CPU. The locking mechanism that would hold the CPU didn't want to close all the way. Afraid to apply pressure and break a pin, I fiddled with it a bit with no luck.

I then returned the board to Micro Center where they reached the same verdict and swapped me for a identical motherboard. They also confirmed that the CPU was placed correctly.

Well the board has identical problems.

This picture shows the mobo with the protection cover still on. Notice that the cover is fully down.

This photo shows the CPU inserted correctly but the casing still will not close.

Is this bad luck? Should I get a refund and choose a different board? Or am I making some sort of mistake?

Thanks in advance.

Re: ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Issue

Usually there is a small alignment notch on one of the 4 sides of the CPU that corresponds with a notch on the slot. If you have that correct and have removed all the protective layers from the chip, then I do no know. If aligned correctly it should start to seat with mild pressure and the locking clip will make it secure.

Comment

Did you buy the CPU at Microcenter as well? Maybe get one of them to do it so if they mess it up, you get a new one?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
        Usually there is a small alignment notch on one of the 4 sides of the CPU that corresponds with a notch on the slot. If you have that correct and have removed all the protective layers from the chip, then I do no know. If aligned correctly it should start to seat with mild pressure and the locking clip will make it secure.
        According to the CPU manual, I removed all protective layers and I aligned the triangle with triangle. I'm positive it is seated correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
          Did you buy the CPU at Microcenter as well? Maybe get one of them to do it so if they mess it up, you get a new one?
          lol. I did have them do it, and they didn't break anything, just had me go and return it.

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with the board or the CPU you're using. From the blurry pictures, everything looks normal even the second one. The the secure plate (the one that folds down over the CPU) shouldn't run flat and parallel to the board with the CPU in the socket.

If it's correctly installed, you should need to apply some pressure (may seem like a lot of force) to get the lever to lock in place.

I know one user over at Overclock.net who's built using the same board and a Core i7 920 who has managed to build his rig just fine. You might want to register there, make a thread asking this question, and talking to some of OCers over there that use your board. They'd be able to help you out with any problems you may have.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Excuse me for being afraid to use force.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                Excuse me for being afraid to use force.
                I would be too man. Nothing worse than blowing $300 cause you tried to force it, and those pins are pretty weak.

Have you googled it? Or even better looked on the ASUS motherboard forums?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  I would be too man. Nothing worse than blowing $300 cause you tried to force it, and those pins are pretty weak.

Have you googled it? Or even better looked on the ASUS motherboard forums?
                  Oops. Apparently I didn't explain clearly. And forgot to add a note.

Everything is all set, I Googled it, found out that it took a bit more force then I thought. Not so bad for my first build!

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to run this thing, though I will miss my Pentium 4.

Comment

you will miss it for an additional 30 seconds after your new system boots in half the time and any sort of applications you do so three times faster.
                    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                      Oops. Apparently I didn't explain clearly. And forgot to add a note.

Everything is all set, I Googled it, found out that it took a bit more force then I thought. Not so bad for my first build!

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to run this thing, though I will miss my Pentium 4.
                      ;) Nice to see you got it working.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

yeah, drbeat, i have the exact same system setup. And i was also afraid to use force, but i know that some things on a pc require force (RAM too).
                        So i just went ahead and closed it. worked fine!

the one thing i wasn't sure off was if the CPU cooler was properly aligned, because it only "clicked" once when snapped onto the motherboard, the other 3 connectors didnt have that distinctive click.
                        But it seems to be ok idle temps now around 32-37C.

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X