• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenom II now available

920 & 940 in 2.8 and 3.0GHz flavors.

3.0 shown:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471

I've read a couple of reviews, and they all look favorable. Not able to beat out the i7 but can (out)match the C2Q, while being easier on the wallet.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Re: Phenom II now available

Article just posted Thursday for those interested in Phenom:

AMD Phenom II closing the gap

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      Article just posted Thursday for those interested in Phenom:

AMD Phenom II closing the gap

thanks for the addition :)
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

And another, this time from the always good Anandtech:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 & 920: A True Return to Competition

Bottom line is:

Architecturally, Phenom II is what the original Phenom should have been. It's not cache starved, and while not as balanced as Core i7, it's a step in the right direction.

Compared to the Core 2 Quad Q9400, the Phenom II X4 940 is clearly the better pick. While it's not faster across the board, more often than not the 940 is equal to or faster than the Q9400. If Intel can drop the price of the Core 2 Quad Q9550 to the same price as the Phenom II X4 940 then the recommendation goes back to Intel. The Q9550 is generally faster than the 940, more overclockable at lower voltages, and a high enough default clock speed to keep you happy in the long run.
        BUT!!!

Looking through the performance results, it's also worthwhile to recognize just how fast Intel's Core i7 is. Across the board Core i7 is the fastest thing out there. If the motherboard guys could get X58 board pricing down below $200 and DDR3 memory was available at the same price as DDR2, then the i7-920 would be the clear recommendation. The entry-level Core i7 is pretty much faster than the-top end Core 2 Extreme or the Phenom II. When I originally reviewed Conroe I wrote that it was the world's fastest microprocessor; Core i7 continues to hang on to that title.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

A review from Guru3D on the Phenom II X3 and X4

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-ph...e-review-am3/1

Comment

Frankly I've been a fan of AMD for a long time due to prices being as low as they are. Maybe the benches don't challenge the C2 line, but honestly you still get a lot of performance for the money.
            "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
            -- Red Forman

Comment

Well, they've been touting these processors for a few months now, as the Qxxxx competitors. They don't compare to i7 at all, but when you compare price, you can manage two Phenom IIs for the price of an i7.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X