Computer problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problems

Having issues with PC, it does not want to boot into Vista and if I manage to get it to boot into Vista it will reboot after just a minute or two. I thought it may be RAM issues, heat issues, or a bad HDD. In the BIOS the temp of the CPU is about 40*C and after it reboots it is still the same in the BIOS. Overall system temp is 27*C.
    When it reboots I will sometimes get a black screen that tells me to repair Windows which I have tried. I get a message claiming a software or hardware problem has occurred and then gives me an error code(a really long one) and will say system32/winlogon.exe or it may even have a different system32 file altogether. If it reboots again it will show a completely different file.
    Guess I should start removing parts and do the process of illimination to find the problem unless somebody has an idea that will help me. First thing I plan on doing is removing a stick of RAM at a time to see if that may be it, then on to swapping HDD's out. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Computer problems

Sounds like corruption of windows. What version of vista are you using and did you install yourself from dvd?

Did you notice any problems when you installed vista? Is it an old install or fresh? If it's all fresh and I think i remember you just building this system then I'm gonna have to say something happened on the HDD. Is it Sata or EIDE config? What type of Hard drive are you using?

- -

Comment

Inclined to agree with Vulcan on this one. Sounds like the windows install became corrupted in some fashion.

One thing I would recommend you try is running chkdsk. I've had decent success fixing issues of this nature with it.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

He's already tried a Windows Repair.

Originally posted by MSDZ
        I will sometimes get a black screen that tells me to repair Windows which I have tried
        One would assume that Windows Repair would fix any corruption of Windows short of a reformat and reinstall.

I'd strip the system down to barebone essentials and work my my way back up. If it doesn't seem like any hardware is at fault, then try a reformat and reinstall of Vista.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hard to type much info cause on the PS3 ATM and won't allow for lengthy post. Anyway, whatI was really trying to do was put Windows 7 on an IDE HDD when problems started. When the prooblem started I removed the IDE HDD and went back to my regular SATA HDD that has Vista Ultimate 64 on it. It was doing the same exact thing as with the IDE HDD, rebbooting and giving the same messages, which led me to think that BOTH HDD's are doubtful at being bad. I have 3 SATA HDD's in the computer but only one can be removed and used to see if it is the primary HDD that is bad, the 3rd HDD is storage purposes and don't wanna chance losing my data on it. I will disconnect it completely to make sure.
          The 2nd HDD was strictly games but I guess I can always reinstall later after I make sure it was not any HDD that was bad. On my old computer I had a HDD go bad and it acted almost similiar to this problem now. I mean if it is claiming Vista is missing system32 files it would almost have to be a HDD. I plan on working on it later

Comment

Ok what has happened is windows 7 took over your boot manager of vista. It installed it on the HDD that you removed. So the vista disk you had going now has a debunked boot manager. You can boot up off the CD and Try to run a repair that way instead. It may be able to repair it that way but it's very doubtful. The next option is reinstall vista.

I know the boot manager can be confusing but vista does it differently than most. If you try to screw with dual installs my advice is install the OS you are testing first otherwise you end up with this problem. Or you install with the other Hard drive completely removed, for instance, If i want to install windows 7 i remove my current Hard drive with vista and install windows 7 on a seperate hard drive without vista even in the machine.

Hope that helps. FYI get yourself Ultimate Boot CD if you want to do this again. It can help you test components and run utilities.

- -

Comment

Thing is, I never even got to installing W7. I got as far as it loading the files and then the computer rebooted instantly on it's own. I guess W7 could have messed the files up for Vista but why does the Vista disc also keep causing the computer to reboot? I tried to repair and then said heck with it and was going to do a format and fresh install of Vista and the computer is not allowing me to even get started with the W7 disk or Vista disk. It loads files as W7 and then reboots or one time just got hung up. That was what made me thnk the HDD was bad or the RAM. Anyway, I am getting ready to start removing everything I can and go from there. Hope I can narrow it down.
              I'll check back in to see if anybody else has other ideas or to give updates of how things are going/went.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                Ok what has happened is windows 7 took over your boot manager of vista. It installed it on the HDD that you removed. So the vista disk you had going now has a debunked boot manager. You can boot up off the CD and Try to run a repair that way instead. It may be able to repair it that way but it's very doubtful. The next option is reinstall vista.

I know the boot manager can be confusing but vista does it differently than most. If you try to screw with dual installs my advice is install the OS you are testing first otherwise you end up with this problem. Or you install with the other Hard drive completely removed, for instance, If i want to install windows 7 i remove my current Hard drive with vista and install windows 7 on a seperate hard drive without vista even in the machine.

Hope that helps. FYI get yourself Ultimate Boot CD if you want to do this again. It can help you test components and run utilities.
                I don't think he tried installing Windows 7 onto his SATA HDD. He tried it on a older IDE hard drive, but it failed.

He then swapped back in his SATA HDD, which has Vista Ultimate x64 on it, so he could continue using Windows Vista.

That's my understanding after reading his reply several times.

If this is the case, I'd find it hard to believe your SATA HDD went downhill so soon after swapping it out. Have you tried resetting BIOS to defaults?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, I reset to default on the BIOS and also tried the other presets including one I had saved a while back that I had been using the last 6 months. Another question, could PSU cause such problems? I have heard of PSU causing weird problems with a computer and I don't have a very reputable PSU. Also, have had a lot of power failures in the past 2 weeks.
                  Reason for asking was I just removed all HDD's except one that I know was good and tried botting up and nothing. No lights, no sounds, nothing, and yeah I checked all my connections a few different times to make sure I did not disconnect any other cables. I also made sure I was grounded before starting and no carpet around, just so no one pops off static discharge killed it. I may have to give up on it for a while cause it is frustrating me and normally I love doing this stuff. Sure it is probably something simple too.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                    Yeah, I reset to default on the BIOS and also tried the other presets including one I had saved a while back that I had been using the last 6 months. Another question, could PSU cause such problems? I have heard of PSU causing weird problems with a computer and I don't have a very reputable PSU. Also, have had a lot of power failures in the past 2 weeks.
                    Reason for asking was I just removed all HDD's except one that I know was good and tried botting up and nothing. No lights, no sounds, nothing, and yeah I checked all my connections a few different times to make sure I did not disconnect any other cables. I also made sure I was grounded before starting and no carpet around, just so no one pops off static discharge killed it. I may have to give up on it for a while cause it is frustrating me and normally I love doing this stuff. Sure it is probably something simple too.
                    Which brand and model PSU are you using now? Wattage output and amperage output on the +12V rail?

This weird problem could be caused by a PSU that isn't supplying enough power to your components. Do you have another PSU to swap in?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

PSU is an Ultra 750w X2, unsure of the 12v supply on the rail. I read an article a while back claiming they actually only push about 350w and are really poor quality PSU's. I had one in my old computer with no problems so figured it would work fine in this computer. I could try to search around to finmd more info on the PSU I have but the PS3 is slow and difficult to navigate the web with IMO. I don't have a PSU to replace it with either. I will check again to make sure I did not disconnect the power switch to the MB.
                      I am going to go batty not playing PR, withdraws are already setting in, shaking really bad. :D

Comment

Thought i would update quickly. Would edit the last post but hard to do with the PS3. Anyway it was something stupid on my part dealing with the PSU. I hit the power switch in the back and did not notice it till I connected the computer back up to the power cord. That us a relief, thought I was really starting to have issues with the whole thing and was ready to junk it.
                        So, now I need to figure out why my 74Gb SATA HDD is not being recognized at all and yeah it is connected. so, I guess I pull it out and connect it with another cable, maybe somethng wrong with the cable? Crossing fingers and hoping that was and is all my problems. If it is, then I will buy a new SATA cable cause I know it would take hours of searching in the attic to find the spare(wife rearranged all my computer stuff in the attic a while back).
                        Will post back if anything new happens.

EDIT:
                        Apparently when I switched around the SATA cables I musta found the problem, so far it is doing good. Now, I will try this one more time with putting the IDE HDD in and then installing W7 but I will disconnect my SATA HDD's to keep from having issues again....hopefully. ATM I have the tower sitting at my side and the sides are still off, almost scared to do anything else to it. At least I didn't have to use the PS3 to edit this post.
                        Last edited by msdz; 01-12-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Oh ok, thank you for the clarification. To clarify what i was saying. If you didn't take the vista HDD out it would screw your boot manager from my experience but that's another case.

I have seen this issue and I'm going to say ram before anything else. Try going to 1 stick and swapping them out. If you only have one stick and no UBCD/memtest then get a new stick or take it to be tested.

- -

Comment

Right now I am using W7 on the IDE HDD with the others not connected ATM. I am not positive if the situation is fixed but I am suspecting it was either the SATA cables OR the RAM. I took everything completely out and did a good cleaning with air and 90% alcohol. So it may have just been dirty, didn't look like it though.
                            After I finish browsing around on W7 for a few more minutes I plan on connecting my SATA drives back up and see how things go from there. If I still have any problems I will be back asking more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                              Right now I am using W7 on the IDE HDD with the others not connected ATM. I am not positive if the situation is fixed but I am suspecting it was either the SATA cables OR the RAM. I took everything completely out and did a good cleaning with air and 90% alcohol. So it may have just been dirty, didn't look like it though.
                              After I finish browsing around on W7 for a few more minutes I plan on connecting my SATA drives back up and see how things go from there. If I still have any problems I will be back asking more questions.
                              Hmm, might have been the RAM. Probably something didn't get set right when you swapped out the hard drives.

HardOCP did a full review on the X2 back when and going over their review again, the Ultra PSUs aren't really that great. Basically the workmanship isn't that great inside among other things.

Edit:

You can see that your Ultra X2 pretty falls under the "cheap junk" category. Even at roughly 50% load, the PSU unit is already over the 50 C temperature spec outlined in the ATX v2.01 spec and one or two rails are either overvoltage or borderline undervoltage (can't be more than +/-5%).

Although I must say that Wintec (the parent company behind the Ultra name brand) seems to be improving their products as evident by their latest performance RAM entries.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X